Breezy Baked Chicken Cacciatore

I love Chicken Cacciatore, but hubby never liked the texture of the chicken in the traditional braised method - even with decent browning of the pieces in olive oil before hand. This baked version I put together, however, gets a thumbs-up from him, as the pre-baking of the chicken not only browns the skin but firms up the chicken so that it ends up tender, but not falling apart into a chicken pasta sauce - lol!

Made this for dinner last night using both red & yellow bell peppers, & served with sides of Rotini pasta & a green salad. Delicious & relatively healthy!:chef:

Breezy Baked Chicken Cacciatore

1 package bone-in skin-on chicken thighs – OR – 1 whole chicken, cut into serving parts
Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
2 bell peppers – any color(s) – seeded & sliced

8 ounces Cremini or white button mushrooms - sliced
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled & roughly chopped
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

Approx. 1/3 tomato can of dry red wine (burgundy, chianti, etc.)
Approx. 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Sprinkling of crushed red pepper flakes to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Pour olive oil in to coat a 9 by 13-inch or similar-size baking dish. Turn chicken pieces in the pan to lightly coat with the oil, & then arrange skin-side down. Bake for 20 minutes; turn skin-side up & continue baking for 20 minutes more.
Meanwhile, heat a couple of dollops of olive oil in a skillet & sauté onions & peppers until just beginning to soften. Add mushrooms & continue sautéing until mushrooms begin to cook down & give up their liquid. Add garlic & sauté for a few minutes more, being sure not to allow garlic to brown or burn. Add tomatoes & wine, using can to measure in approx. 1/3 a can of wine. Stir in oregano & crushed red pepper flakes, & allow mixture to simmer until heated through.
After 2nd 20-minute chicken baking period is finished, pour tomato/veggie mixture evenly over chicken pieces in baking dish & continue baking for 30 minutes. Serve with a side of your favorite pasta, utilizing some of the sauce from the chicken to dress it, along with a green salad & some garlic bread.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks good to me, too, BC!

I adore baked chicken pieces, and love cacciatore - this looks like a great marriage of the two!

Lee