My question for the day.........

homecook

Is it too much to ask to read through the posts of a thread before posting?? :whistling:
Maybe it's me being impatient but it's annoying when a thread has 15 posts to it and 10 of them are saying the same thing! At the least if you agree with one of the posts, that's fine and just say so or if you have a different recipe to offer. I just don't think it's necessary to keep reading that posters 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, and 15 are all saying the same thing.....as if it were the first post to the thread.

Ok, I know it's almost 5AM, I've only had one cup of coffee so far........and I'm grouchy!! :respect:

chowhound

lol, big peeve of mine, too. You have someone saying something like they are the only person with that tidbit of information, and it's already been posted before them. No; I agree with, or, I do mine the same except for... I think it falls under netiquette. Their reply could be a lot shorter if they read the whole post or gave some acknowledgement to what has already been said.

suziquzie

Yep I think some people just pop on like they are the only person that has any information, when the same has already been posted.

WHOOPS! Hey look someone already said that! :glare:
:yum:

In short this is my smartass way of saying I agree with you Barb, and Chow.... and Good morning Andy nice to see you reading.:D:tongue:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Interesting topic. Does anyone think longer threads has anything to so with it?

I see it a lot more after a thread goes beyond two pages.

I try to read it all before posting. Sometimes I will see that what I wanted to day has already been said and abandon the thread.

Them sometimes someone is asking for help and so many different opinions are posted that it is useless to add another.

homecook

Thanks Fred! I think you said it better than I did.

Good one Suzi!! LOL

Andy, I really don't think longer threads have anything to do with it, sometimes there is a lot of useful information. It's
when someone says the same thing 8 other people said without adding anything additional and acting like it was the first time being said...........then sometimes yes, it runs into a long thread unnecessarily.
Different opinions are fine, we're a diverse group here so we're not all going to agree. Your opinion is fine. Just stop being lazy (that's not directed at you) and read through the post to see if what you're going to post hasn't already been said.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
While I agree with what you said about diversity. it is a good thing. If you really do not know something and you are looking for how to accomplish something and you get several different ways to do it with each defending their way against the other suggestions, it is hard to decide which way to choose.

chowhound

Sometimes what I do, and I just did it on another forum, is I'll start off my reply with a; I didn't read all the replies here, but here's my opinion... I try to read several replies before posting so I know the direction of the answers, but I'm not going to read through a hundred posts. I try to cover my butt so I don't come off as the only one whose opinion matters. Even though it might be :whistling:
:yum:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
You're too grouchy today to post. Go back to bed for a couple hours and try again later.

What you describe happens all over the net, and if you start pointing out to people that their opinion does not matter (even though it's the same as the first poster), then you start alienating people and they go elsewhere where they feel part of the group. We have some folks (and every forum has them) that sit by waiting for a new post so they can be the first to give their opinion. If it mirrors everyone else, then the thread is dead. I don't really see it as a problem when you compare it to people who hijack a thread and have one sentence conversations inside a thread like it's their personal chat room. :whistling:

Point to be made is that we all live in glass houses, and if we all bitched about what bugs us and demanded that it be stopped, there would be no forum. We all live in glass houses, so let's watch the stone throwing.

Have another cup of coffee and a sticky bun (yeah, like there's any of those left after Monday night). You'll feel better in a little while.:wave:

Deelady

Ok ok ok Barb!! Sheesh I get the hint!!! I'll start actually reading posts for now on! No need to yell and make me cry like that........sniff sniff.:cry::cry:

homecook

Fine..........I'll just keep my mouth shut for the rest of the day........since my opinion on things doesn't matter!

Ronjohn

I didn't read any of the earlier posts, just want to say this.....

th_thnothingtogive.gif

(This is intended as a joke, nothing more)

chowhound

Geez, she's just starting a conversation guys, don't take it so personally :huh: :respect:
Except you JohnRon, your post was funny, too :biggrin:

Deelady

uhhhhhhhh.......I really hope you guys didn't take MY comment serriously........JOKE!!!!:tongue::tongue: HA.....HA.....anyone???

no??? sheesh... tough crowd!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
If I'm asking for advice, I'd rather have ten people tell me the same thing. That usually means it's good advice. If I get ten different opinions, then I'm back to square one.

High Cheese

Saucier
Is it too much to ask to read through the posts of a thread before posting?? :whistling:
Maybe it's me being impatient but it's annoying when a thread has 15 posts to it and 10 of them are saying the same thing! At the least if you agree with one of the posts, that's fine and just say so or if you have a different recipe to offer. I just don't think it's necessary to keep reading that posters 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, and 15 are all saying the same thing.....as if it were the first post to the thread.

Ok, I know it's almost 5AM, I've only had one cup of coffee so far........and I'm grouchy!! :respect:

That's why I.....

If I'm asking for advice, I'd rather have ten people tell me the same thing. That usually means it's good advice. If I get ten different opinions, then I'm back to square one.

+1

lmao :thumb:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Fine..........I'll just keep my mouth shut for the rest of the day........since my opinion on things doesn't matter!
I hope that you realize we all love you and are just having a little fun with you...except RonJohn, of course.:alc::alc:;););)

SilverSage

Resident Crone
You're too grouchy today to post. Go back to bed for a couple hours and try again later.

What you describe happens all over the net, and if you start pointing out to people that their opinion does not matter (even though it's the same as the first poster), then you start alienating people and they go elsewhere where they feel part of the group. We have some folks (and every forum has them) that sit by waiting for a new post so they can be the first to give their opinion. If it mirrors everyone else, then the thread is dead. I don't really see it as a problem when you compare it to people who hijack a thread and have one sentence conversations inside a thread like it's their personal chat room. :whistling:

Point to be made is that we all live in glass houses, and if we all bitched about what bugs us and demanded that it be stopped, there would be no forum. We all live in glass houses, so let's watch the stone throwing.

Have another cup of coffee and a sticky bun (yeah, like there's any of those left after Monday night). You'll feel better in a little while.:wave:

Very well said, Joe. We tend to forget our manners behind the anonymity of the screen. If we'd all be as kind to each other as we are in person, I don't think we'd lose as many members.

buckytom

Grill Master
i often am guilty of both things: offering an opinion that's already been stated, and hijacking a thread. i do it all the time, in fact. the way i see it, it's a conversation. lots of things are repeated and the subject may wander around a bit in normal conversation, so i think it's a fairly natural thing to do.

if i had to wait until i read every post carefully, then analyzed what i was about to say to see if it's a repeated sentiment, then i would post here very infrequently.

yes, i know. that probably would make some people happy, and maybe even keltin would come back, but i like to hear myself speak, so i ain't quittin'.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
There have been times when I've typed things almost simultaneously along with another member. So in that case, guilty as charged, eh?

Sure, occasionally there is a lengthy thread that has a singular point made that is so awesome, I just jump right in there, then read back later.

My favourite tool is the edit button, when I choose to use it.

I am known as Emily Post Deleter on another forum.

Thread jacking?.. shit.. I'll admit to being the expert on that at times.

We've ALL done various things on this and other boards surely, that don't quite sit well with others.

Thing is, it's the diversity that keeps things humming.

I'll do as I please within the rules, and everyone else should be able to express how they feel without feeling like they've been singled out as a grump or something.

Now, who wants some cheese?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm guilty as charged too.................would anyone care for some..........

P3140550-2.jpg

Meme4251

Me to please Mama........Yum, Yum,...Have not eaten cornbread in coon's day...LOL...Ok Cooksie Dear, just another slang word I use..........No, and I am not a Cedar Chopper....LOL....:no::):w00t::w00t: Have a gre:)at week!!