Soggy Chips?

Derek

Banned
Every time I use the deep fryer, I get soggy chips, Maybe about 10 chips out of 2 potatoes, But when they're small to medium size potatoes then it becomes a bother some.

Am I doing anything wrong?

To answer your questions I am washing the dirt off the skins, I'm letting them sit in cold cold water for a half hour before I fry them.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
When something gets soggy when frying it is one of two things usually. The first is use an oil with a higher smoke point than you plan on frying at. Canola and Peanut oils are usually my choices for frying. The other is the oil isn't hot enough which needs to be about 360 to 375 degrees. Now if the oil is that hot and you are still getting some soggy then do them in smaller batches as too much in the oil will lower the temp of the oil very quickly. I use a 4 qt deep fryer that you set the heat on and when there it is ready to cook with. If you are using a pan then you really need a thermometer to test before cooking as you want the oil hot to start.

Last but not least I agree that they should be very dry or that will make them soggy too. As for blanching it works well also depending on the thickness of the potato. Now french fries I blanch once in oil at 350 degrees and remove them and drain till cool. Let them cook they crank it up and final fry them at 360 to 375. They come out very crisp for me.

Derek

Banned
Last but not least I agree that they should be very dry or that will make them soggy too. As for blanching it works well also depending on the thickness of the potato. Now french fries I blanch once in oil at 350 degrees and remove them and drain till cool. Let them cook they crank it up and final fry them at 360 to 375. They come out very crisp for me.
JoeC, That's what I forgot to do, I put them in when I sort of dried them.

I guess next time I will dry them fully and see if it goes away, And next time I will also put the timer at the 400 minute mark instead of 3minutes and 50 seconds.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i just looked at your set up in one of your onion ring threads.... are you overloading your deepfryer? it looks like you have a smaller machine and it really doesnt take much to drop the temps of oil especially on a smaller unit

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is the deep fryer I use, picked it up a WalMart a couple of years ago. It came with coupon for a single wide basket which I got for a few bucks from the manufacture so I now have two small baskets and one wide. Now this is rather large but works really well. Now I never time anything in this I just keep and eye on it as I'm using it and can tell by the color if it is done. I think I paid about $65 for it and have had it for 5 years or so since my small one died.

Attachments

• Presto Dual ProFry Deep Fryer.jpg
    Presto Dual ProFry Deep Fryer.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 129

Derek

Banned
i just looked at your set up in one of your onion ring threads.... are you overloading your deepfryer? it looks like you have a smaller machine and it really doesnt take much to drop the temps of oil especially on a smaller unit
I could be, when I put chips in I put about 5-8 chips in.

Here is the deep fryer I use, picked it up a WalMart a couple of years ago. It came with coupon for a single wide basket which I got for a few bucks from the manufacture so I now have two small baskets and one wide. Now this is rather large but works really well. Now I never time anything in this I just keep and eye on it as I'm using it and can tell by the color if it is done. I think I paid about $65 for it and have had it for 5 years or so since my small one died.
Wow really? because I looked at something simular to this and it was $110, I said no way and I picked the one that's a rvial since its $34.99 $36.05 with tax.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Nothing wrong with Rival. I think that is who manufactured my Wolfgang Puck slow cooker. I know they have good reviews of their products. I just checked and the one I have is still selling for $64.95 at WalMart but if you have a Rival it should work fine too unless you need more capcity which I did. I has a small round one that held about a quart of oil and could though it worked I had to be real careful with how much I fried at one time. I couldn't use it for large shrimp as it two jumbo would be its limit.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Nope I can't but I know they make them. I can't think in that large a quantity in food even with my hungry crew around here looking for food.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Derek, I think it's typical, common thread derailment. No harm. Hijacking is part of the program at NCT. We aren't at the other place anymore. I think it's a very interesting comment. I learn something new every day.
Buzz

Renfro Jones

Derek, I think it's typical, common thread derailment. No harm. Hijacking is part of the program at NCT. We aren't at the other place anymore. I think it's a very interesting comment. I learn something new every day.
Buzz

No hiJacking here, just pointing out potatos are 60% water which gets steamed off when they are fried. Learned that on the factory tour of UTZ Potato chips.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No problem Renfro. Interesting info if you ask me.

(pssst: I never have received that sample of your goodies)