Easy Oven Ribs

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Had the day off today, and I went to Publix to find something for dinner tonight. I bumped into several packages of beef ribs on sale. A half slab (about 3 – 4 ribs) was only $1.45!! Even though that is not what I’m ultimately cooking for dinner tonight, I still HAD to buy them. Since I have them, and they are small, I won’t use the smoker, but will instead use my TNT oven method.

Easy Oven Ribs

Ingredients

1 Slab Ribs (Beef or Pork)
1/4 cup Apple juice
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
Spice Rub (Paprika, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt, Pepper)
Favorite BBQ Sauce (optional)

Procedure

Preheat oven to 225 to 235 degrees. Give the ribs a good rub with your Spice Rub. In an oven safe baking dish, add the Apple Juice and Vinegar. Place a trivet in the dish. Lay the ribs on the trivet. Cover tightly with foil. Bake in the oven for 4 hours or until the meat is pulling away from the bones.

Optional: When done, uncover, slather on the BBQ sauce and place under the broiler for 5 – 8 minutes to set the sauce.

Notes

If you don’t have a trivet small enough for your baking dish (like I didn’t in these pictures), then use a couple of completely metal forks. Lay them in the dish with the tines of one facing left and the other facing right. Lay the ribs on the forks, and they will balance there nicely. Or use a couple of clean tuna cans with the label and glue scrubbed off and both ends (top and bottom) cut out. You use the trivet to keep the meat out of the liquid. You don’t want to boil the ribs, but instead provide a moist heat in the covered dish.

Get yourself some ribs.
Step1-4.jpg

Give them a rub.
Step2-4.jpg

Place them on a trivet in a baking dish that has your Apple Juice and Vinegar in it.
Step3-3.jpg

Cover tightly and bake at 225 for 4 hours till cooked through.
Step4-2.jpg

Slather with sauce and place them under the broiler for a few minutes to set the sauce.
Step5-2.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Looks great man! Not sure what a trivet is, but I am guessing it does the same as a wire rack? I have one of those.. otherwise I already have two tuna cans with top and bottoms removed.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Were they tender, Keltin? Enough meat on them? How'd they taste?

I have rotten luck with beef ribs like those. I do better with short ribs.

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You deserve Karma just for the fork idea but it still won't let me give you any...will someone please give this man some Karma!!!!!!!!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have always found beef ribs to be harder to cook as well. The Chinese Buffet near us has em, not a lot of meat on them, but they sure do make em tender! Just wish they wouldn't add cilantro to em!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You deserve Karma just for the fork idea but it still won't let me give you any...will someone please give this man some Karma!!!!!!!!

Done, Mama. Glad to help you out! :smile:

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The ribs were incredible. We ate them as a snack, and will have dinner later. I didn’t do such a great job on the pics, but had I taken a different angle, you’d have seen the meat pulled back on the bone. But, if you follow the recipe and go 4 hours at 225 – 235 in your oven in a covered pan/dish, you’ll be amazed.

Beef ribs don’t have a lot of meat on them since most butchers cut them very close trying to save as much meat as possible for the steaks. You can buy a rib roast and cut your own meaty ribs and then cut your own steaks. I’ve seen it done, and it is impressive.

Beef ribs are very fatty, so be warned. However, this recipe works just as well for Pork Spare ribs.

Over the years, I’ve tried grilling beef ribs with horrible results. Even when they didn’t catch on fire due to the high fat content, the amount of fat in them was rather sickening and made you queasy. I had all but given up on them till 2 years ago when DW brought home 2 slabs that she picked up for about 2 bucks each. I figured what the hey and smoked them for 4 hours with hickory. They were amazing. The long and slow cook makes the meat tender, and most of the fat renders away. It’s about the only way I can tolerate beef ribs…..even in a stew that high fat is no good…..but a long slow cook to render the fat out is great.

Tonight’s ribs were incredibly flavorful, but still a bit fatty. The meat was a joy to eat, and I love gnawing the bone! I bought these because I couldn’t resist the price, and I wanted to pass along the oven method. This small slab yielded 3 large ribs…..DW ate two of them before I could even get a plate out! Now she’s saying I should have bought all they had and fired up the smoker. She’s hankering for a full rib meal now. Hopefully the Honey Mustard Pork Chops I cook later will be good enough.

I posted this recipe “elsewhere” and I believe Fisher’s Mom tried it with pork spare ribs. Maybe she’ll chime in later.

And Mav, a Trivet is just a “hot plate” or “pot rest” that you would normally put a hot pot on to cool. I’ve got a couple of stainless steel ones that I use to cook with in the DO and roasting pan. It’s the same principle as the turkey racks in the big turkey roasters. It keeps the meat off the floor of the cooking vessels so that it’s not floating and stewing in the fat and liquid.

It comes in handy for all kinds of stuff. One favorite thing is to use it in a 9” CI pan to roast/broil chicken parts (thighs and legs). Keeps them crispy and away from all the fat on the floor of the pan.

trivet1.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
The ribs were incredible. We ate them as a snack, and will have dinner later. I didn’t do such a great job on the pics, but had I taken a different angle, you’d have seen the meat pulled back on the bone. But, if you follow the recipe and go 4 hours at 225 – 235 in your oven, you’ll be amazed.

Beef ribs don’t have a lot of meat on them since most butchers cut them very close trying to save as much meat as possible for the steaks. You can buy a rib roast and cut your own meaty ribs and then cut your own steaks. I’ve seen it done, and it is impressive.

Beef ribs are very fatty, so be warned. However, this recipe works just as well for Pork Spare ribs.

Over the years, I’ve tried grilling beef ribs with horrible results. Even when they didn’t catch on fire due to the high fat content, the amount of fat in them was rather sickening and made you queasy. I had all but given up on them till 2 years ago when DW brought home 2 slabs that she picked up for about 2 bucks each. I figured what the hey and smoked them for 4 hours with hickory. They were amazing. The long and slow cook makes the meat tender, and most of the fat renders away. It’s about the only way I can tolerate beef ribs…..even in a stew that high fat is no good…..but a long slow cook to render the fat out is great.

Tonight’s ribs were incredibly flavorful, but still a bit fatty. The meat was a joy to eat, and I love gnawing the bone! I bought these because I couldn’t resist the price, and I wanted to pass along the oven method. This small slab yielded 3 large ribs…..DW ate two of them before I could even get a plate out! Now she’s saying I should have bought all they had and fired up the smoker. She’s hankering for a full rib meal now. Hopefully the Honey Mustard Pork Chops I cook later will be good enough.

I posted this recipe “elsewhere” and I believe Fisher’s Mom tried it with pork spare ribs. Maybe she’ll chime in later.

And Mav, a Trivet is just a “hot plate” or “pot rest” that you would normally put a hot pot on to cool. I’ve got a couple of stainless steel ones that I use to cook with in the DO and roasting pan. It’s the same principle as the turkey racks in the big turkey roasters. It keeps the meat off the floor of the cooking vessels so that it’s not floating and stewing in the fat and liquid.

It comes in handy for all kinds of stuff. One favorite thing is to use it in a 9” CI pan to roast/broil chicken parts (thighs and legs). Keeps them crispy and away from all the fat on the floor of the pan.

trivet1.jpg

OK, I know what that is! Thanks!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Oh yeah, these ribs are fabulous!!! So freakin' tender you'll have trouble keeping them on the bone long enough to get them to your mouth! I've made these many times since Keltin taught me last year and they always come out perfectly. Beef or pork, it doesn't matter.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh yeah, these ribs are fabulous!!! So freakin' tender you'll have trouble keeping them on the bone long enough to get them to your mouth! I've made these many times since Keltin taught me last year and they always come out perfectly. Beef or pork, it doesn't matter.

Thank you ma'am!!! :biggrin: