Big Al's Wicked Good Clam Chowder

AllenOK

Yes, this is a repost from DC. Some of you other "old-timer" DC folks may have seen this, or seen references to this. For my new friends here at NCT, this is a treat.

This recipe was just added to our soup rotation at the country club I work at. Several of the members cannot believe how good it is. It beats the old recipe hands-down!

Big Al's Wicked Good Clam Chowder
Yields: 1 ½ gal

This is one of those recipes that my family and I just die for. When it gets colder, I usually make this at least once a month.
You'll notice that I caramelize the bacon, then add the vegetables and seasonings, and caramelize those as well. The reason for this is added flavor. When the vegetables hit the pan, and they start exuding their liquid, they will deglaze the pan a bit. However, once that liquid is cooked off, they will start to caramelize slightly. I look for this point. I'm always scraping the pan bottom trying to work all that good flavor into the vegetables, and once it's gone, I start keeping an eye on the pan bottom to see when the onions start to caramelize a bit. When I start to see color again, I add the clams and juice to deglaze the pan again.
A couple other tips: Cut the bacon last. This lessens the chance of any cross-contamination from the bacon to other things. Also, I find it easier to chop bacon like this when it's frozen. I’ve also found that a product labeled “Ends and Pieces”, produced by Wright’s, is about the best buy on bacon for this purpose. Cheap and high quality can’t be beat. And lastly, don't add any salt until the very end, and taste it first! Then, if it needs salt, add a little. Remember that you are using salt-cured bacon, and salt water shellfish, so there will be plenty of salt in the chowder without needing any more.

8 slices thick sliced bacon, diced fine
1 ½ large onion, diced
1 ½ c celery, diced
1 ½ t Old Bay Seasoning, optional
½ t ground black pepper
1 ½ t tarragon
1 ½ t thyme
1 ½ t garlic, minced
2 # sized potatoes, peeled, and cubed into half inch cubes
33 oz (total) canned chopped sea clams with the juice (around here, that's about 6 cans)
2 8 oz bottles of Clam Juice
1 pt heavy cream
1 pt half and half
½ c corn starch mixed with ½ c water
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium-high until the bacon starts to crisp, and you see lots of color and brown bits in the pan. At this time, add the onions, celery, garlic, pepper, thyme, tarragon, and Old Bay seasoning, if desired. When the onions are translucent and slightly caramelized, add the clams, juice, and potatoes; adding a little water if needed to cover the potatoes. Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream, half-and-half, and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch/water slurry and bring back to a boil to tighten the chowder. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
NOTES: This is one I don’t really recommend that you freeze for later use. The potatoes will turn mealy in texture after you thaw and reheat the soup.

buckytom

Grill Master
good deal, allen. thanks. copied, pasted.

i've heard about a debate in which bacon should or should not be used in a new england (white) clam chowder. i 'll have to try it in your recipe to see.

i recently made a manhattan clam chowder that got rave reviews at a family gathering. i'll post the rcipe later.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Allen, this is exactly the way I've made clam chowder for 30+ years. It IS wickedly delicious, and the smoky bacon flavor, plus the caramelization you get from sauteeing the vegetables in the bacon drippings make it so good. I think I got this recipe originally from a James Beard cookbook. We love it, but there are only a few months here (December and January) when it's cool enough to enjoy it. Oops - there is one difference - I've never added tarragon, but I will next time I make it. Thanks for posting this.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that looks fantastic, Allen! I think adding bacon would make a good thing even better (pretty much my bacon philosophy).

Lee