Shaffer style clam chowder

lilylove

Add some nice French bread and a green salad and you've got a wonderful dinner! Use small bowls so you can have seconds! As with most soups this is better the next day!

3 10 oz cans chopped clams
1 lb bacon
3 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 chicken bouillon cubes
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme (some times I use parsley instead)
2 cups half and half
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

Open canned clams reserving all juice
set aside

cut up bacon, removing a lot of the extra fat
in large sauce pan cook bacon until crisp. Keeping the bacon and the grease in the pan
add potatoes, clam juice, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, onions, pepper,bouillon cubes.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about ten minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Combind milk, cream and flour till smooth. Add to potatoe mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Stir in Clams. Return to boiling reduce heat. Cook for a few minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.

If soup is too thick add more milk or cream
if soup is too thin add more flour mixing with milk or cream first!

We add a tablespoon of butter to each bowl when serving ( not at all good for you
but it tastes great!!!):yum:

homecook

I was going to make potato soup for dinner tonight (Mon.) but I think I'll make this instead.
Thank you!!

Barb

suziquzie

Sounds great Trish, I'll have to make this a night when there's leftover other stuff tho. HE won't eat seafood. :confused:
Big dumdum.
Maybe I'll make my SPECIAL glitter french bread with it!!! :thumb:

lilylove

It is really really good! I've been known to add extra bacon!

Maybe that's why I have a chunky butt???

Calicolady

It is really really good! I've been known to add extra bacon!

Maybe that's why I have a chunky butt???

Funny! Chunky Butt!!! I'll have to remember that when I see my sister-inlaw. :yum: I won't be able to keep it together though.

I love this recipe and sounds like you've been peeking in my recipe book cabinet.
'Cept I use chicken stock-2 cups and diced celery-2 stalks.
Gotta have oysterettes with it.
But I'm curious, what is Suziq's "GLITTER FRENCH BREAD"?

lilylove

Poor Suzi... she made some bread a few weeks ago and the light in her oven BLEW up and decorated her bread... sadness!!

oh... and yes! Please add celery if you wish! I do that sometimes!!!