Another dishwasher ques - about silverware

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
The silverware containers that our dishwasher came with are small so I bought something to use in addition. (The store that we got the chrome ones from does not carry them anymore. )

At times I could use another two, and am not sure what to buy or where to look.

Anyone ?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I am trying to remember if I have ever seen those silverware caddies for sale anywhere, but I don't think I have. I've seen some plastic baskets for sale that are designed to put baby bottle nipples in the dishwasher, but that's it. Maybe you could contact your dishwasher manufacturer to see if they have replacement baskets. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I don't think the ones they offer are very big but yes, I could buy them from the manufacturer. I wil google caddie, thanks for the idea.

chowhound

No one but me washes more knives and spoons than actual dishes and bowls and such ?

I guess not, but then some items, like spatulas, tongs, basting brushes, large spoons, I'll lay on the top shelf. And I handwash my chef knives. I always have room where the silverware goes.
Maybe you could set them in a collander on the bottom shelf and that would work, if there wasn't something like dried egg on them.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I put the silverware in upside down.
:yum::yum::yum: You know that will drive some of us crazy!

When my husband loads the DW, he always loads the silverware upside down. In other words, he loads it wrong. So I have to come along behind him and reload all of the silverware. I'm sure he does this on purpose because he knows I won't ask him to load the dishwasher if he does it wrong. He denies it of course, but he lies.

chowhound

Well I load mine uppside down and right side up. That way I won't have a problem up like items nesting together.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OK, wait, maybe I'm misunderstanding. The right way is with the handles down and the business end up. LOL And there is a little grid in the top of the silverware basket that I shove the handles down into that keeps them from nesting.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Y'all do know I'm teasing, right? This silverware thing is kind of a joke at my house. I am a little OCD about using the DW to make sure things are clean and sanitized. My family has figured this out and they torture me by loading things the wrong way!