Mushroom and Swiss Crostini

Cooksie

Site Supporter
These are really meant to be appetizers, but they are rich enough that you could have a few with a salad and call it lunch.

3814930035_46497c42e9.jpg

Baguette slices, about 7 or 8, 1/4" to 1/2" thick
2 medium button mushrooms, chopped
1/2 T butter
1 green onion, sliced
1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp white wine
3 T heavy cream
2 slices baby Swiss cheese, chopped (sandwich-size slices)
bacon bits

Preheat the broiler.

Melt the butter and saute the mushrooms over medium heat for a few minutes. Add the green onion (save a little of the tops for garnish) and the garlic and continue to cook. Add the wine and cook until it has evaporated. Set this mixture to the side.

Let the pan cool. Add the cream and place over a very low heat. Once the cream begins to warm, add the cheese, stirring until it has melted and the mixture begins to thicken. Return the mushroom mixture to the pan and add the bacon bits. Remove pan from heat and let the mixture slightly cool.

Lightly toast one side of the bread slices. Flip them over and spread the mushroom mixture evenly over the bread slices. Return them to the broiler and broil until lightly browned. Sprinkle with green onion tops.

3815737650_74b3a5c10f.jpg

chowhound

Those look delicious, Cooksie!
So about the Baguette slices... Maybe I should ask this in the bread forum, but does it really make a difference what kind of bread you use? Could I use thin sliced French or Italian bread? I'm lucky I can get decent French bread at the local grocer. I know I've never seen baguette bread. Unless it's in the frozen section.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Those look delicious, Cooksie!
So about the Baguette slices... Maybe I should ask this in the bread forum, but does it really make a difference what kind of bread you use? Could I use thin sliced French or Italian bread? I'm lucky I can get decent French bread at the local grocer. I know I've never seen baguette bread. Unless it's in the frozen section.

Thanks, chowhound! No, it doesn't matter what kind of bread that you use. I only said baguette because that's what I usually use for this type of thing. For these I just used some rolls that I brought home from an Italian lunch. :mrgreen: I asked for a to-go box for the bread only :mrgreen:. It's some good stuff just by itself.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I want this, RIGHT NOW, Cooksie!

That second photo is spectacular!

Lee