Online Arguments

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Good discussion - thanks for getting it started, Mama. We all have respect and affection for one another. Let's maintain that by discussing topics freely and openly (that's one of the great attractions of this site), but take great care to avoid personal attacks.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Personally, I don't see the need for this karma baloney, positive or negative. This group has a big enough ego from the git-go, without the rest of us pumping each others up. We're here because we're mainly type A personalities who don't tolerate whimps and/or bullies, which is why we all got the boot. Happy Valley doesn't exist here, and even if it did, it would be a wasteland because the weak and wimpy would leave on their own (it happened already, remember?)

We don't need others to tell us how great we are...we already know we are the "Chosen Ones."

Now that that is covered, we can get back to our normal posting routines.

Joseph the Humble

lilylove

I love giving Karma! It makes me feel good. I can't smile at you... Can't give you hugs like I'd do if we were friends having coffee at Starbucks and you can't hear my laughter when you make me giggle so... I push the karma button instead.

It's the closest I can get to the real thing.

chowhound

The thing about Karma is unless you look, you don't know it's been given. And since there's only room in the karma box for six or so comments, I'm guessing somebody could get bumped off and you would never see their comment.
I made a post one time, kept checking for comments, received very few, then found out quite a few comments were made in my karma box. We need a karma notification like PMs or profile messages.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd just as soon see a public reply to a post I made than a karma comment, unless of course they wanted to keep their comment private.

Deelady

I'm with you Trish, since when is it bad to give a compliment or a kudos?

As far as the negative karma....it has never even crossed my mind to give to someone.

Deelady

Actually chow that is another reason I sometimes give Karma....so to give a compliment to someone in particular without maybe making another feel left out or their feelings hurt because I am agreeing with one and not the other.

chowhound

Then that is a good reason, Dee. I fully agree with that situation. Karma is a great way to go if you want to remain private.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I agree Fred, I often loose track of the Karma messages because there is no notification. I find myself watching it almost everyday just to make sure I don't miss anyone giving it to me and offend them by not thanking them!

And in regards to sharing PM's, we are talking about PM's dealing with member issues not just any ol PM to a Mod. We don't share our personal PM's with the group.
We share all issues brought to our attention because we don't want anything thinking they can pick and choose which Mod to deal with so they can 'shop' around for one that will do what they want them to do.
We make decisions as a group to avoid this kind of division, and also to ensure all voices are heard not just what one wants. No Napoleons allowed here, LOL!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
We'll have to talk to Doc about notification.

There may be a setting inside the vb options or an add in for vb that will add rep points reporting to show in the top right box along with pm and vm notification.

Jim

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
chowhound said:
The thing about Karma is unless you look, you don't know it's been given.

Ain't it the truth! I am embarrassed to admit that I somehow missed the whole karma thiing on the other board...when I finally figured it out, I had 1.3 MILLION points! And I never even thanked anyone because I didn't know!!! Made me feel terrible...

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This has been such a great thread - it's given me lots of things to think about.

First, to the folks who have been nice enough to leave me karma - thank you so much! I rarely have said thank you because I was gone for a while at my mom's and sometimes I'm gone for a few days. Then when I remember to check it, it's clear I've been left more karma than I can see. So then, I feel bad about thanking people for the ones I can see since I didn't......oh well, you get the idea. I will try to be better about it in the future, but it would be great if there was some kind of karma notification!

But I would like to say that I don't expect or care if anyone thanks me when I give them karma. That's because, like Trish, I get "karma happy" and shoot off a lot of it. Just for fun. In fact, if I could give it anonymously, I would, just so people wouldn't feel like they have to take time to thank me (or think I'm hitting on them for giving them karma every day.)

I've never given out negative karma and probably would never do that. But it is a powerful tool and I'm glad it's here. I think I would probably figure out that I had seriously screwed up if I got some negative karma and start making amends pronto!

I thought Mama's remarks in her original post were spot on and, if you think about it, exactly the things we were taught in kindergarten about how playing well with others (at least in the South.:D)

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Spot on, FM. I haven't paid attention to the Karma thing and have obviously been negligent in giving thanks. Wake up Buzz.....

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I don't care if I get thanks for it either. I give it freely, not for acknowledgment. If I see it, I will thank someone though,lol

Calicolady

I love giving Karma! It makes me feel good. I can't smile at you... Can't give you hugs like I'd do if we were friends having coffee at Starbucks and you can't hear my laughter when you make me giggle so... I push the karma button instead.

It's the closest I can get to the real thing.

+1.
Good idea about notification, Chow.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I like the notification idea, in another place, I wasn't aware of it for a long time. I often give karma and will make a remark as well, being aware that some people may not know about karma.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting Idea but as far as I know there is not option for that. I can make the notification list bigger, but as we grow keeping 10 notifications per users instead of 5 or 6 really adds up and impacts teh overall database size.
I will check on this on the VB forum just in case I missed it. Notification of Karma is a very good / reasonable suggestion. :thumb: :D

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Someone on the VB forum asked for this exact add on for VB. It is being considered as an add on for an upcoming release. I think it's a darn good suggestion and hope they decide to add it.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Someone on the VB forum asked for this exact add on for VB. It is being considered as an add on for an upcoming release. I think it's a darn good suggestion and hope they decide to add it.

Is VB open source?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
No, not open source. But, VB.org has loads of hacks, some of which I've added here. I did a search for a hack to notify karma points and found one that has potential for VB 3.8. After I upgrade to 3.8 (soon) I'll give it a try.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
While reading this thread, I came across the quote below:

Chowhound said:
I was surprised, to say the least, to see that our private conversations we might have with one mod, were passed around amongst them. I did not know that was a policy here. From the tone of certain written words, and taking into account they are written words, it seems like the mods want to be "more equal" than the rest of us, but then maybe that is what makes them mods.

In some cases this is true, not in all cases. We are trying to keep the site as free as possible for everyone. To that end we consult with each other to come up with a fair resolution. From what we have read as criticism of other sites, this is a more desirable approach than one person acting unilaterally.

As moderators we are required to get the opinion of other moderators before taking action on all problems reported to us. However, a question sent via PM that can be simply answered will just be answered by that moderator. We are working to keep NCT a fun place for all, and understand we cannot please everyone all the time. We work together so that we are all on the same page and if a similar situation comes up it will be handled similarly to how the original situation was handled. Consistency is important and unilateral moderation actions are strongly discouraged.

With that said, moderators are also members and a PM or other communication which is strictly member to member would be handled as it would be between any two members.