Mu Shu Pork

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This was the recipe I chose to make from my latest issue of Cook's Illustrated magazine (I've vowed to make at least one recipe per issue). I will post a link to the video, but since I don't subscribe online, I can't see the online recipe.

If anyone wants the recipe, let me know and I'll type it in.

Otherwise, take a look at my photos and view the video.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/videos/2938-mu-shu-pork?incode=MCSCZ00L0&ref=search_results_2

This was delicious and fun for me to make, but since I live in an area with EXCELLENT Chinese take-out food for short money, I won't do it again.

Lee

Attachments

• Mu shu 1.JPG
    Mu shu 1.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 151
  • Mu shu 2.JPG
    Mu shu 2.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Mu shu 3.JPG
    Mu shu 3.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Mu shu 4.JPG
    Mu shu 4.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Mu shu 6.JPG
    Mu shu 6.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 153
  • Mu shu 7.JPG
    Mu shu 7.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 150

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Couple more

Attachments

• Mu shu 7.JPG
    Mu shu 7.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Mu shu 8.JPG
    Mu shu 8.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Mu shu 9.JPG
    Mu shu 9.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Mu shu 10.JPG
    Mu shu 10.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 149

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Looks really good Lee. Watched video looks easy. Can you post or PM the recipe please. Thanks on advance.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Yum, love that stuff! Yours looks great.

I wonder why the pancakes are put together in twos and then pulled apart. I've never made the pancakes, but I wouldn't have ever dreamed of doing that.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, Peep, here is the recipe.

Lee

Mu Shu Pork (adapted from Cook's Illustrated )

Pancakes

1 1/2 cups (7oz) all-purpose flour
3/4 cups boiling water
2 teas. toasted sesame oil
1/2 teas veg oil

Stir-fry

Handful dried shitake mushrooms
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T dry sherry
1 teas sugar
1 teas grated fresh ginger
1/4 teas white pepper
1 (12 oz) pork tenderloin, trimmed and halved the LONG WAY (not horizontally as they said!), and sliced thinly
2 teas cornstarch
2 T plus 2 teas veg oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 bunch of scallions, white and green separated, sliced on the bias
8 oz can of bamboo shoots, rinsed and cut into matchsticks
3 cups thinly sliced cabbage (I used Chinese cabbage)

It’s helpful to prepare your mise en place

First thing I did was to rehydrate the mushrooms in the microwave. Cover the mushrooms with 1 cup water and nuke them for 2 ½ minutes. Let them sit while you carry on.

Make the pancake dough. Mix flour with boiling water in bowl to form a rough dough. When cool, transfer dough to lightly floured surface and knead about 4 minutes until the dough is no longer sticky (about 4 mins). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and rest for 30 minutes.

While the dough is resting, prepare the pork and marinade.

Drain the rehydrated shitake mushrooms, but save 1/3 cup of the liquid. Slice mushrooms thinly. Combine 2 T soy sauce, 1 teas sherry, sugar, ginger, pepper in an large bowl. Add pork and toss to combine. Whisk together the reserved mushroom liquid, 2 T soy sauce, 1 T sherry, and cornstarch. Set that aside.

Back to the dough. Roll the dough into a log, about 12 inches long, and cut into 12 pieces. Place each piece cut-side up and pat into a rough 3 inch disk. Brush just one side of 6 discs with sesame oil, then top each of those with an un-oiled disc. Then roll each double-stack into a 7 –inch round, flouring as you go.

Heat veg oil in a 12 inch non-stick pan (or wok, which is what I used), until shimmering. Wipe out the oil with paper towels. Place one pancake at a time in the skillet and cook without moving it, until air pockets are formed and you see little brown spots on the bottom. Flip pancake over and cook until brown spots are formed on the second side. When cool enough to handle, separate each into 2 pancakes and stack, moist side up. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely with plastic, to stay moist.

You can wrap these tightly in plastic wrap and alum foil to store in fridge or even freezer ahead of time.

Make the stir-fry

Heat 2 teas oil in skillet. Add eggs and scramble quickly until set but not dry, about 15 seconds. Transfer to bowl and break up into small pieces. Heat another T oil in skillet (or wok), add WHITE parts of scallions and cook 1-2 minutes. Add in pork mixture and brown pork, cooking it all the way through. Transfer to bowl with eggs.

Heat ANOTHER T of oil in pan or work. Give the mushroom liquid mixture a stir to combine. Add mushrooms and bamboo shoots to skillet and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Add sliced cabbage and all but 2 T green onions, and mushroom liquid mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid has evaporated and cabbage is wilted but still crunchy. Add pork and eggs and stir to combine.

Transfer to platter with green onions sprinkled on top.

Spread some hoisin in center of each pancake. Spoon some stir fry in pancake, roll up and enjoy!