Lane Cake

Since my other recipe seemed to post OK, I am getting brave here .... hehe ....

This is probably my all-time favorite cake. This cake is a bit of trouble .... not too much, but some. My grandmother only made it 3 times a year, my mother's birthday in July and then again at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is called a Lane Cake.

LANE CAKE
Use the Pound Cake Receipt I gave you. Add some grated orange peel. Then instead of baking in a tube pan, put it in 3 regular cake pans, or even 4 if you want a taller cake. Grease the cake pans very heavily with REAL Butter. Flour Lightly.

I make three layers, it begins to get out of hand at four.
Bake about 25 or so minutes at 350*. Remove and cool on wire rack.
The Frosting is the Star here.

FROSTING FOR LANE CAKE:

12 Egg Yolks
2 Cups Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 sticks of Butter, unsalted please, and real butter if at all possible
2/3 cup Bourbon Whiskey
2 Cups Raisins
2 cups coarsely Chopped Pecans
2 cups Shredded Coconut
2 cups Marashino Cherries (DO NOT USE CANDIED) some halved, some quartered

Cook the egg yolks and sugar and butter over hot water until thick and clear, usually 10-12 minutes or so.
Take off heat and add all other ingredients. Put between the layers of the cake and let set. It will ooze out the sides so just be patient and occasionally put the fallen pieces back on, (or eat them!!) It's never gonna hang on the sides, so stop worrying over that.

If you want a real "Finished" Look make a 7 minute frosting and put around the sides. It is very elegant that way, but about 3 times out of 4 I just leave it open on the sides. It is better after a day or so, but I seldom wait !!

I generally make at least one of these and take to friends party or Christmas Day Dinner, etc. It travels very well. The way to do that is Freeze it. Then wrap well after it is frozen, and put in a nice box and put back in the Freezer. Take it out on the morning you need it and it is ready to travel.

When you arrive just Place on your friend's sideboard and by dessert time it is thawed and ready to eat. It also slices better after it has been frozen.

Last year someone pulled out in front of me and I had to floor the brakes .... the cake hit the floor !! I put it back in the seat, and continued on. (I put the seatbelt around it after that!) When we unwrapped it, there wasnt a cherry or raisin out of place.

If you have questions, email me @ Recipes.Receipts@gmail.com

Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
OK so I looked at these backwards, LOL.
Sounds great, but what did you mean by trouble with it? Was it don't go over three layers or you will have trouble? Or is it the frosting layers?
Thanks!

...... but what did you mean by trouble with it ....?

No, what I meant is that sometimes I leave out steps that seem kinda clear to me, but they really arent .... hehe .... You know, the "Everything is Easy When You Have Done it a Hundred Times" Thing.