Canned peas?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I found one in my pantry and have no idea what I intended to do with them.

Ideas?

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I found one in my pantry and have no idea what I intended to do with them.

Ideas?

Lee
Add to tuna, mac and cheese,
add to soup,
add to chicken or beef pot pie,
add to a crockpot stew at the last few minutes,
heat, butter and eat with mashed taters :clap:

(although I usually have frozen not canned)

I was thinking of have some buttered peas as a snack later to take my pills with.

Deelady

I had a BIG argument with an old boyfriend once over groceries because I said we had nothing to eat and we needed to go shopping and he argued that we had food to eat and to make due...I bitterly made dinner with canned peas and spaghetti and I ended up LOVING the meal!!

What I made was a sort of primavera type pasta using only peas. I cooked spaghetti noodles and drained them, I them mixed in grated parmesan cheese, Italian style bread crumbs, butter, garlic powder, seasoning salt, pepper and the peas and warmed through...it was sooo tasty! I believe it was the contrast of bread crumbs and cheese against the sweet peas that really made it so tasty!

and here is another recipe Im sure you can easily swap the canned peas for....

Lily Pad Pancakes
8 oz (1½ cups) frozen petite green peas, thawed
2 tbsp water
1 egg
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
¼ tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp baking powder
Vegetable oil, as needed
Butter or plain yogurt, for serving
Set aside 1/3 cup of peas.
Add the remaining peas to a blender with the water and egg; purée until smooth.
Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and stir in the flour, salt, and baking powder and gradually mix with a fork or whisk.
Stir in the reserved 1/3 cup peas.

Let the batter rest for 10 minutes while you clean up.
Place about 2 tablespoons of oil in a sauté pan, warm over medium heat until shimmering, and drop 1 tablespoon of batter in the pan. Gently cook for about 3 minutes, until you see bubbles forming around the edges. Flip and cook on the second side until very lightly browned. Continue until all the batter is gone.
Serve warm with butter or plain yogurt.

During the Summer, I make a big pot of cold pasta salad. You can add in just about anything you like. Sometimes I use tri-color rotini (or small -med. size pasta), peas, chopped onion, mayonnaise, shrimp, chicken or tuna, & any herbs or seasonings of choice.

Pasta w/ alfredo sauce ham & peas

Rici i Bisi (sp) - Rice & peas w/ parmesan cheese

Spaghetti squash with butter, peas, & ham

Fried rice w/ pineapple, ham & peas

Have you tried Samosas? I adjust the seasonings (curry powder, ginger) to taste, & add the peas at the end (no boiling). You could use crescent roll dough or homemade dough.

Easy Samosas

1 box (15 oz) refrigerated pie crusts
2 tsp oil
1 cup diced potato
1/2 cup chopped onion
8 oz lean ground beef
2 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp each minced garlic and ginger
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1 cup frozen petite peas
1/2 cup chicken broth or water
1 large egg, slightly beaten
Purchased chutney - optional

Heat oven to 400ºF. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Let pie crusts sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté potato and onion 4 minutes or until almost tender. Add beef; cook 2 minutes, breaking up, until no longer pink. Drain off any excess fat. Return to heat.

Stir in curry powder, garlic, ginger, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute. Stir in peas and chicken broth; cook 2 minutes until almost dry and potatoes are tender. Remove from heat; let cool slightly.

Unroll a pie crust on cutting board. Cut into 4 equal wedges. Moisten edges of 1 wedge with water. Place 1/3 cup filling onto half of wedge, leaving about a 1/2-in. border on two sides. Fold in half to make a triangle, pressing edges to seal in filling. Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining crust and filling.

Brush lightly with egg. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden. Serve samosas warm with chutney on the side.

http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Curried-Beef-Pies-Samosas-Recipe

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci.../quick-easy-samosas-10000001707637/index.html

You go girl! Oh, wait. It's Dee. Hi you :) :wave:

It's been awhile since I made them, but this looks close to a recipe I lost. The curry can be overwhelming. For me, I would cut it in half, as well as the ginger & garlic. Depends on your taste. I went to an Indian restaurant once. I didn't know what anything was on the menu. Fortunately, my date did, & everything was delicious.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
A simple summer salad that my mom used to make for me.

One can of peas, drained.
Chop a small sweet onion finely.
Put in a bowl, mix in mayonaise and some salt to fade and consistency.

Chill for an hour it so and enjoy.

Carolina Cooking

I use frozen or fresh but maybe you could use a can.

lemon rice & peas
cream peas & pearl onion

Mac & cheese with sausage & peas

long spag with ham(prosciuuto) peas, parm, cream.

Linguini
OO/garlic
zest of lime & ju.
shrimp
peas
chopped fresh mint.

Farfalle
artichoke ,mushrooms ,red onion
peas
fresh pesto
pine nuts
lots of parm.

stir fry
with bunch of asian things you put in then just add the peas

I make fried rice all the time with peas.

scalloped potatoes just throw it in there maybe with ham lol

I am pretty sure my mom put it in mashed tators so we would eat it .funny thing is I always liked peas.

If everything else fails just put in your dogs food.:brows::biggrin:

Another cold pasta salad I like is agnoletti w/ diced mozarella, diced fresh tomatoes, fresh basil in vinaigrette dressing.

Spaghetti/linguine carbonara w/ mushrooms, peas & Parmesan cheese, or Risotto & peas are other ways to go. I would use them in any dish that doesn't involve "cooking" the peas. Add them at the end, & heat through if it's a hot dish.

I top my mashed potatoes with peas, & add a dollop of cold sour cream.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great ideas, everybody!

I like the farfalle thing, CarolinaCook - it would solve both my pea and artichoke issue!

The Samosas sound wonderful, CalCook!

But, for the sake of laziness, I may go with Andy's pea, onion, mayo salad!

Thanks, all! You guys are always so helpful and creative!

Lee

Me either. I can't stand can peas. But didn't someone here make a pesto out of peas? I know I saw it somewhere I just can't recall where.

I've seen many recipes for Mock Guacamole, but not pesto. I like peas & I like avocado, but I might have to pass on that one.

Leni

Are you referring to the casserole that is made with potato chips, mushroom soup, canned peas and tuna? I stopped using canned peas and now use defrosted peas instead.

A simple summer salad that my mom used to make for me.

One can of peas, drained.
Chop a small sweet onion finely.
Put in a bowl, mix in mayonaise and some salt to fade and consistency.

Chill for an hour it so and enjoy.

My mom used to make something almost exactly like this, the only difference being that she used canned "Veg-All", which was/is a canned veg combination of peas, carrots, green beans, corn, & diced potatoes, if I'm not mistaken.

It wasn't my favorite since I've never been a canned veg lover except for artichokes, corn, & shell beans, but it was okay.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have been wondering about the canned peas myself. I do not dislike them at all, I have been wondering how it would taste with fresh peas.

You may want to give your salad a try with lightly cooked/blanched frozen peas, which are lightly blanched & frozen right after picking.

The problem with using fresh peas, is that unless you're growing them yourself & can get them from the garden to the pot in record time, just like old corn varieties, the sugar turns to starch fairly rapidly. That's why fresh peas from the market are so often disappointing.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
That is what I was thinking Breezy. I often have a few handfuls when I open the bag touse them for a meal. Thank you for the idea. I did not know they are lightly blanched for freezing.

Thank You

You're welcome. Keep in mind that even though peas are lightly blanched before being commercially flash frozen, you'd still want to cook them for a minute or two & then cool them in a ice-water bath or under cold running water before using them in your salad. That's what I do & they come out just as nice as fresh.