Buckytom's Pork Rib Roast with Apple and Butter Gravy

buckytom

Grill Master
i've made this several times, and at being amazed at how my family scarfs this down in silence each time, i decided to write it down as best i could as a recipe.

lol, i've been experiencing some of keltin's crs, so this should help.

ingredients:

1 five to seven bone pork rib roast
2 large sweet onions, quartered
3 stalks of celery, halved
1 head of garlic, peeled
3 cups of baby carrots
4 apples, peeled, cored, quartered
-- optional --
5 finger eggplants, sliced into pucks
1 bulb of fennel, quartered
2 tbsps grapeseed oil or light olive oil
kosher salt
freshly cracked black pepper

pat dry, then season the bone in pork rib roast on all sides with a healthy amount of salt and pepper.

in a ss saute pan, sear the roast in oil on all sides until really well browned.

while the roast is browning, turn the crock pot on high and add the quartered onions, baby carrots, celery stalks, whole garlic cloves, and whatever other veggies you have on hand (i added eggplant from the garden this time, and have used fennel before with success).

once browned, transfer the roast to the crock pot, nestling it into the veggies a bit.

deglaze the pan used for browning the roast with a cup and a half of water or white wine, and add that to the crock pot as well.

place peeled/quartered apples around/on top of the roast, add a few fresh sprigs of thyme, cover and set on high for 3 hours.

remove the roast and set aside.

remove the baby carrots, celery, eggplant, and other veggies that remained whole and place around roast for serving.

press remaining mushy veggies through a seive and add the liquid from it as well as the remaining liquid from the crock to a wide saute pan, bring to a boil to reduce by a third.

taste and adjust salt and pepper, then melt/stir in 3 tbsps of butter.

reduce heat and thicken into a gravy by stirring in a cornstarch slurry.

serve with mashed or baked potatoes.

the roast stays unbelievable juicy from essentially being braised for three hours, and the gravy is out of this world. sweet from the apples and savory from the pork, thyme, and veggies.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Can't Remember Shit.
JEEEEEEEEEEZ!! OK Thanks Sass!!

ROTFL!!

I keep a log of my dishes with pics. Thats why I go into such detail. I save the pics and descriptions then when I get the chance I write up the recipes by looking at the log and the pics. Makes it a bit ETRS!!

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that sounds awesome! I can't wait to try it.
Thanks BT!!!!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, I missed this......or did I forget to post? That CRS is a killer! :lol:

Rib roasts can be a tricky find here. Maybe once a month if I'm lucky. Do you think this would work with a hunk of boneless pork loin? I can find whole loins all day, and could cut a large section out for this and make chops of the rest. I just wonder if it will be the same without the bones to help keep the meat juicy?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, Keltin, a boneless pork loin will be fine for this.

Three hours is not a long time in a crockpot, which is perfect for a lean, tender cut like pork loin.

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
i have to disagree, qsis. but i know you're an expert with slow cookers, so you might have better techniques to make it work.

i guess i should have been more descriptive with the ingredients for the way i do it. but imo no, i don't think a boneless loin would do as well. in fact, this recipe works best with the fattier end cut, i think it's a sirloin end rib roast (i might be wrong, i get them backwards often).

the smaller the loin piece and the larger the fattier outside "cap" muscle, much like a marbled prme rib roast, would work best.

i've made this with a 5 bone "all loin" roast and it was just ok. i mean, it was still good, but as always, fat makes a difference in both flavour and tenderness.

the gravy makes up for the somewhat dry extra lean meat with a loin roast. i think it would be even more dry without the bones.

but, you never know; to each his own. dw prefers the extra lean meat with the gravy, so i try to pick a roast that has one fattier end, and the other end that looks like a standard, lean rib chop.

keltin, i also don't see these roasts, especially the fattier ones very often. i more commonly find them in supermarkets in the immigrant neighborhoods near me.

you can always ask a butcher to cut you one, especially if he specializes in pork. they have to saw each chop through the chine bone a bit, but leave the rest connected as a roast so it can be sliced into chops when done. just be sure the roast you buy fits in your crock pot, lol.

hth.