Adding Fresh Mushrooms?

Although the original recipe doesn't call for them, I'd like to add halved or quartered fresh white button mushrooms to a crockpot chicken dish that calls for the dish to be cooked 4 hours on low.

When during this time period should I add the mushrooms so that they're cooked but not mush?

Many thanks!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Mushrooms cook very quickly. Will the chicken dish be simmering? Will there be a lot of liquid? If so, I would say 5-10 minutes.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Recipes that I have seen add mushrooms, either canned or fresh, at the beginning of the cooking process.

Well, I don't do a lot of crockpot cooking, but would imagine that eventually during the 4 hours cook time this would come to a simmer. And yes, there'll be a goodly amount of liquid - canned soup, chive cream cheese, white wine, melted butter + 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
As an experiment why not try it both ways in the same recipe. NCT would like to hear about your findings.

FryBoy

I have limited experience with a slow cooker, but after checking a few recipes on line at reliable sites such as www.southernfood.about.com and www.allrecipes.com, I'd add the mushrooms at the beginning. I think you're overly concerned about the mushrooms getting overcooked -- I add them at the outset of many non-slow-cooker dishes, including soups, pasta sauces, and roasts, either raw or sauteed, and they come out fine.

Here are a couple of sample slow cooker recipes that received high praise from reviewers, both of which add the mushrooms at the start:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotbeefwithwine/r/bl78c5.htm

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mushroom-Slow-Cooker-Roast-Beef/Detail.aspx

Thanks guys! Like I said, I really do very little slow cooking, but wanted to try this particular recipe - but adding mushrooms.

In the past, my biggest problem with slow cooker recipes has been everything coming out way overcooked, thus my looking to folks more slow-cooker experienced than I am. :)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
BC, I understand your complaint about things becoming mushy when one uses a crock pot. If you check the recipe book that came with your model, you should see how one can adapt to how you like things cooked.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Breezy, I always add them at the beginning. They turn out just fine.

Lee

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
It seems to me that mushrooms give off more flavor the longer they cook. I'm sure there is a limit to how much flavor they will release. If you want the sauce to have a deep mushroom flavor add them early, and if you just want the mushrooms to taste like mushrooms, add them a few minutes before completion.

lesley

I've added mushrooms at the start & 30 mins before the end of cooking, either way turned out fine. :eek:):thumb:

Thanks all!

I'm planning on making this tomorrow, & will probably add half the mushrooms at the beginning, half towards the end of the cooking time, see if I can detect a difference, & which - if any - timing I prefer.

CharlieD

The button mushrooms that are sold in stores though cook prety fast will not become mooshy, you can easily add them at the begining.

Ended up having to leave the house for a few hours yesterday afternoon, so decided to put all the mushrooms in at the beginning of the cook time. Turned out perfect!! (In fact, it's the very first crockpot recipe I've made that I DEFINITELY will be making again!!!)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great, BC!

Would you please post the whole recipe in a separate thread? I love a good crockpot meal!

TIA

Lee