80% off on Laguiole Knives

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Well..... around 80% and they are at Marshalls.

Best knives Ive EVER used! I found them there and wanted to compare them to new steak knives from Walmart that cost $11. I used both on a pork chop. My eyes popped open when I used the Laguiole knives as it cut like a hot knife through butter. The other brand did fair. It cut but nowhere NEAR as well. The price was $16 for 6!!!! Here is the exact same knives:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dubost-Laguiole-6-Piece-Knives-Stainless/dp/B0000DCS17[/ame]

FryBoy

Sorry, but what Marshall's is selling is not the same thing as on the website you mentioned in another thread. That site is La Forge de Laguiole, one of the high-end brands of Laguiole knives and corkscrews.

Laguiole is NOT a brand but a region and style of knives. I know -- I used to import Laguiole knives and corkscrews directly from the manufacturers in France and sold them on EBay for a couple of years.

There are at least 14 LEGITIMATE brands of Laguiole knives (i.e., made in the Laguiole region), and they're all expensive. There are dozens if not hundreds of knock-offs from Spain, India, Pakistan, and China. Not the same quality by a long shot.

There are also some pretty lousy brands from France, most notably Sabatier and Cepage (sold by Williams-Sonoma). Junk!

Check the Laguiole Corkscrews & Knives site I set up on Yahoo Groups for more information. Look especially at the photos and the information in the "files" section.

chowhound

Well..... around 80% and they are at Marshalls.

Best knives Ive EVER used! I found them there and wanted to compare them to new steak knives from Walmart that cost $11. I used both on a pork chop. My eyes popped open when I used the Laguiole knives as it cut like a hot knife through butter. The other brand did fair. It cut but nowhere NEAR as well. The price was $16 for 6!!!! Here is the exact same knives:

http://www.amazon.com/Dubost-Laguiole-6-Piece-Knives-Stainless/dp/B0000DCS17

Cool. Sounds like you got a good deal on knives you love. Kind of a neat looking knife, too, with that drop handle.

Deadly Sushi

Cool. Sounds like you got a good deal on knives you love. Kind of a neat looking knife, too, with that drop handle.

Thanks! Truly cuts remarkable!

Sorry, but what Marshall's is selling is not the same thing as on the website you mentioned in another thread. That site is La Forge de Laguiole, one of the high-end brands of Laguiole knives and corkscrews.

Laguiole is NOT a brand but a region and style of knives. I know -- I used to import Laguiole knives and corkscrews directly from the manufacturers in France and sold them on EBay for a couple of years.

There are at least 14 LEGITIMATE brands of Laguiole knives (i.e., made in the Laguiole region), and they're all expensive. There are dozens if not hundreds of knock-offs from Spain, India, Pakistan, and China. Not the same quality by a long shot.

There are also some pretty lousy brands from France, most notably Sabatier and Cepage (sold by Williams-Sonoma). Junk!

What is it then? I figured there was a lower line. You just dont go from $160 a knife to $16 for 6. But whatever Laguiole I have its great! :)

FryBoy

I can't tell who made your knives without seeing a photo, unless you can tell me exactly what's written on them.

If it's made by Jean Debost, which is the maker of the knives you linked to on Amazon, they're not of the same quality as those from La Forge de Laguiole, Laguiole en Aubrac, Arbalete G. David, Laguiole de l'Artisan, etc., all of which run up to $500 or more for a set of 6 steak knives. For example, this set made by La Forge de Laguiole with briar wood handles and solid brass bolsters is $480.00 plus tax and shipping from this site: http://www.laguiole-knife-corkscrew.com/index.html

laguiole_2059_1727135

I'm sure the knives you bought cut well, and you did get a good deal on them. The difference is in the materials, finish, and workmanship. Whether it's worth the extra cost is debatable, but the differences in quality are not.

And that's my only point -- Laguiole is not a brand, it's a type, and the quality and price varies radically from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Deadly Sushi

why not take a pic and post it

Its this Mr. Shepard: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dubost-Laguiole-6-Piece-Knives-Stainless/dp/B0000DCS17/"]
amazon_icon.gif
[/ame] [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dubost-Laguiole-6-Piece-Knives-Stainless/dp/B0000DCS17/"]Amazon[/ame]
The wood it comes in and the knives look exactly the same. I didnt check out the name except Laguiole before I trashed the plastic packaging on it. I thought that, that was the brand name :bonk:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Its this Mr. Shepard: Amazon
The wood it comes in and the knives look exactly the same. I didnt check out the name except Laguiole before I trashed the plastic packaging on it. I thought that, that was the brand name :bonk:

Are the ones you got folders or single piece knives?

Deadly Sushi

Are the ones you got folders or single piece knives?

I just tried folding it with the butterface and it didnt do anything. Its right next to me cause Im chomping on some sausages :smile:

Regarding taking a photo, my camera isnt good enough to zoom in with any real clarity. :sad:

FryBoy

Although the original Laguiole knife was a folding pocket knife favored by shepherds in the region, the steak knives, which are a relatively modern variation, don't fold. They look pretty much alike, however -- here's are a couple of folders from Arbalete G. David:

269335514_V3AqD-X2.jpg

269335534_hd6eN-L.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter
That's Aaron (Big Daddy) McCargo Jr. in my avatar.

I sure wish I had his handsome looks!! I DO however, know someone who looks almost like him though.