what is your next kitchen toy?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This may sound silly compared to all of yours but slowly but surely I'm putting together a full set of clear dishes for a table scape of sorts. I have a large salad bowl, 4 small salad/soup bowls 4 large square dinner plates, candy dishes, salt and pepper shakers ... I want to get more pieces to match.
Oh, me too! I just started collecting plain clear glass dishes, too. I found a set of 8 large clear glass platters at a junk shop and they looked so lovely on the table! All you have to do is change the table cloth or add a placemat and they look completely different! Now I've found round dinner plates and dessert plates and I'm looking for bowls. I love the idea of square plates - where did you find them?

lilylove

Not really silly at all. It drove me crazy that none of our dishes matched so this year I went out and bought a set of dishes, glass ware, some rice bowls to go with them and flatware. I didn't spend a lot but at least it goes together well.

I like those Joe! I really like the little bowl in front!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We got all but the rice bowls at Target. The rice bowls came from Koren's in NYC which though not matching look great with the set in person.

lilylove

The other thing I keep saying I'm going to buy is matching coffee cups...
I have a million mugs. But they are all different so when we have people over every one has a different kind and it always looks bad IMHO... so some day... matching coffee cups! lol.. They are so cheap. I don't know why I don't just don't go get some.

lilylove

Oh, me too! I just started collecting plain clear glass dishes, too. I found a set of 8 large clear glass platters at a junk shop and they looked so lovely on the table! All you have to do is change the table cloth or add a placemat and they look completely different! Now I've found round dinner plates and dessert plates and I'm looking for bowls. I love the idea of square plates - where did you find them?

oh..it was either Bed and Bath or Linen's and Things which ever one didn't go out of business. I think they were only 4 dollars a piece too! They had cups and bowls to match. I didn't like the cups though. They looked like they would be very hard to drink out of.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
oh..it was either Bed and Bath or Linen's and Things which ever one didn't go out of business. I think they were only 4 dollars a piece too! They had cups and bowls to match. I didn't like the cups though. They looked like they would be very hard to drink out of.
Such a deal!!!! I love that! I have a set of clear glass coffee mugs at my little house at the coast that I think I got at Walmart for like $2 a piece. They are very plain but they do look nice when I'm serving dessert and coffee. Here at home I'm like you with a ton of different coffee mugs.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Now there is one I don't own but have been looking at. Don't know if I want one or a dedicated ice cream maker.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
butler-bums.jpg

I want this too, though:biggrin:

Well if you get that, then I should get this!:clap::
But seriously, my next acquisition will be a DO or smoker or both!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
My microwave oven died recently, so that will be the next acquisition...the variable electrical current here is really hard on microwave ovens, so I guess I'll also have to pop for a voltage regulator to go with it....I did buy some really pretty Talavera pottery serving pieces last week in Dolores Hidalgo...I keep the dishes plain (bright) colors and that way, I can add pattern with serving pieces.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
my next purchase is hopefully going to be a kitchenaid food processor and yes in the color shown because then Mrs.Bam will think its cute and let me buy it(yup she just saw the picture and said i can have it because its pink...lol)

or

a kitchenaid mixer

KitchenAid_FoodProcessor_KFP750PK.JPG

slide6.jpg

Just like the KA FP I have, except mine is in manly stainless steel!! OH, and I got like a billion attachments for it in a hand carrying case. My next purchase, hopefully, will be a pressure cooker followed by a smoker.

PanchoHambre

...I did buy some really pretty Talavera pottery serving pieces last week in Dolores Hidalgo...I keep the dishes plain (bright) colors and that way, I can add pattern with serving pieces.

That is beautiful stuff. I have a bunch of Talavera Mirrors that I love bought in TX and MX... hard to find up here). When I can finally start acquiring stuff again some of the pottery would be great.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Hey, buying a pink kitchen aid mixer supports Susan G Komen for the Cure (breast cancer). Awesome choice, Bams!!!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a pretty inexpensive dehydrator and just bought a pressure cooker. The Nesco dehydrator I've been using now for 5 years and has never let me down. I dry peppers, herbs and spice mostly with it. I then grind them up for spice mixes.

Attachments

• Nesco Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator.jpg
    Nesco Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 93

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Bought my new microwave over the weekend...our local Mega (sorta like a Mexican Walmart) had them for only $550 pesos - about $30 USD given the currently favorable exchange rate. Not a fancy one, but it'll do just fine. Now....what's next???

gadzooks

Kitchen toys are on hold for me right now...probably for a while, too. From the age of six or so up to the age of thirty six, I fished. Primarily fly-fishing, and it was a passion. Circumstances conspired, however, probably with the fish, to end my fishing days. An uninsured hospital stay, combined with a divorce, left me penniless and with massive debt. I sold everything she didn't take, and moved on. As a result of the hospital stay, or rather its cause, I became a vegan for about nine years. I haven't fished since 1989. The subject came up the other day, and I realized how much I missed it. So I am "re-arming," I am finding that it's not cheap, even to just get started. I'll never be able to replace most of the tackle I lost. It turns out to be high-end "vintage" now. But I'm off and running, and I was never a "catch and release" kind of guy...I eat my catch. So I guess this stuff will be "pre-kitchen" toys. Primitive shopping.

chowhound

Low key for some, but my new kitchen "toy" is this magnetic knife holder that I just mounted underneath a cupboard. Woo-Hoo :biggrin:

Attachments

• knife holder1.jpg
    knife holder1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 85

waybomb

I have a brand new, but old, Nutone built-in blender. Putting it at the bar area so I don't have to keep dragging a blender out every time somebody wants a frozen drink.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I want to find a really nice old n50 hobart mixer with all its bits and pieces in working order. I just don't know when it will happen but I shall look as I was advised. ;-)!!! We have some awesome talent in this group.