lets see your cutting board

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
this cutting board has been with me for about 12-13 years...

i made it 9"X16" made out of tongue and groove oak flooring.. this is the second one i made but the ex pitched the other one..lol

just about time for her to be resanded

13zqvie.jpg

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I have those crappy silicone boards and several wooden boards. I really wished I had confiscated my mom and dads old wooden cutting board. I think that would be the pic to post for me!!

leolady

I have this one that I bought at a used restaurant supply store. I told them what I wanted and they found it just for me! I always say, make friends with your used restaurant supply store. :thumb:

They sold me the Robot Coupe R2 food processor for only $50, gave me a huge cast iron skillet for Christmas, sold me some great sturdy restaurant cookware for just above their cost, including a huge copper chocolate pot, 20 some place settings of restaurant heavy duty pistol grip flatware, those black handled restaurant utensils, and lots of other great stuff.

BUTCHERBLOCK2.jpg

I also have a thick butcher block cutting board from the top of an old old portable dishwasher $5 at a used appliance store.

Then, I still have and adore my pig cutting board that was painted and decorated by patients at the VA hospital my mom worked at. Mom gave me that board when I was 5. It has been hung in every kitchen I have ever had.:wub:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
That is awesome Leolady!!!! I really need to visit my local resturaunt supply, we have one not to far from where I live! I should get out more.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here are 2 of mine but have 3. I also have a bread/cheese board done buy David Smith (The Board Smith), he built all my boards and a cleaver block for me all in cherry wood. His site is http://www.theboardsmith.net./

Attachments

• BoardSmithCherry2.jpg
    BoardSmithCherry2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 398
  • Cherry wood board 20x3 David Smith.jpg
    Cherry wood board 20x3 David Smith.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 361

chowhound

Very cool, leolady!

I've got the dishwasher safe silicon ones, a small bamboo one like grocery stores sell, and a white plastic-type one. Nothing fancy or good, but I've looked into getting a better one.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Leolady - that butcher's block is a dream come true. JoeC - Great boards Very handsome cleavers.

Mine are all plastic. I have an intact maple tree in the back yard and have considered making a board from it, but I do not know if Maple is good / safe.

Gorgeous - Jeeks

AC

PanchoHambre

oh nooo I am pretty open here but I will not post my cutting boards.... I will get sent packing straight to the health and food safety forum

I am planning on building a work table out of some of my leftover maple flooring I think it will work nice.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
These are from the Totally Bamboo Green Light series. I have the large one and two small ones...

nc0110461mp5.jpg

leolady

Leolady - that butcher's block is a dream come true. I have an intact maple tree in the back yard and have considered making a board from it, but I do not know if Maple is good / safe.
AC

Thanks! The table that I have is Maple! It is great for a butcher block. :a1: But so is oak.

But you can find your own dream come true butcher block table on Ebay fairly often. They are usually 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a new one, and I like the patina and the warm well used look.

Wart

Banned
oh nooo I am pretty open here but I will not post my cutting boards.... I will get sent packing straight to the health and food safety forum

I have a cutting board as part of my counter top. I'm trying to get a picture of the She Cat with her butt planted on it. Title of the pic will be Clorox (or something about why I buy bleach).

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have this one that I bought at a used restaurant supply store. I told them what I wanted and they found it just for me! I always say, make friends with your used restaurant supply store. :thumb:

They sold me the Robot Coupe R2 food processor for only $50, gave me a huge cast iron skillet for Christmas, sold me some great sturdy restaurant cookware for just above their cost, including a huge copper chocolate pot, 20 some place settings of restaurant heavy duty pistol grip flatware, those black handled restaurant utensils, and lots of other great stuff.

BUTCHERBLOCK2.jpg

I also have a thick butcher block cutting board from the top of an old old portable dishwasher $5 at a used appliance store.

Then, I still have and adore my pig cutting board that was painted and decorated by patients at the VA hospital my mom worked at. Mom gave me that board when I was 5. It has been hung in every kitchen I have ever had.:wub:

Sorry, I don't have a picture but my grandfather owned a famous steakhouse back in the day and I have one of his butcher blocks and cutting boards in the center of my kitchen. I use it everyday when I cook. It is ancient. Grandpa Joe knew Eliot Ness when he was in Cleveland. Actually, my grandpa knew anyone who was anyone. His restaurant was THE place. If you were a politician, ball player, entertainer, cop, lawyer, doctor, mover and shaker even mobster--you ate at my grandpa's place. The cabbies use to bring people from the airport.

I have some of his restaurant stuff but not as much as my mom wanted to keep.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Another vote for boards from the Boardsmith. I was having a lot of problems with my edges chipping on a maple Boos board. On a whim, I tried one of Dave's boards, and I haven't had a chip since :) I don't have any pictures of just the board, but mine is cherry, really nice. Check his work out at http://www.theboardsmith.com/

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Are wood better than the silicone ones? I hate mine. I have one only for fish, as I can't get the smell off of it. They're pretty cut up too. How do the wood ones hold up? I love those redwood board joec!! They are beautiful, can you say that about cutting boards? lol

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Are wood better than the silicone ones? I hate mine. I have one only for fish, as I can't get the smell off of it. They're pretty cut up too. How do the wood ones hold up? I love those redwood board joec!! They are beautiful, can you say that about cutting boards? lol

The BoardSmith cutting boards will be used by my grandkids. They'll last for generations. The ones to get are END grain like in Joe's and mine. Think of it as the blade nestling into a hairbrush standing bristles up. This type of board is easiest on knife edges. There is another board equally as gentle. They are made of a rubber compound and go by the name of Sani-Tuff. They aren't very pretty but do the job and are used in lots of commercial kitchens.

PanchoHambre

I have a cutting board as part of my counter top. I'm trying to get a picture of the She Cat with her butt planted on it. Title of the pic will be Clorox (or something about why I buy bleach).

LOL! wart... my cat junped in my CI Do last night I had half I mind to put the lid on and stew her;)

LeoLady... friends with the Junker and the Supply... you make all the right friends... I need you to come up North and use some of your southern charm on the grumpy Philadelphians

leolady

Sorry, I don't have a picture but my grandfather owned a famous steakhouse back in the day and I have one of his butcher blocks and cutting boards in the center of my kitchen. I use it everyday when I cook. It is ancient. Grandpa Joe knew Eliot Ness when he was in Cleveland. Actually, my grandpa knew anyone who was anyone. His restaurant was THE place. If you were a politician, ball player, entertainer, cop, lawyer, doctor, mover and shaker even mobster--you ate at my grandpa's place. The cabbies use to bring people from the airport.

I have some of his restaurant stuff but not as much as my mom wanted to keep.

:clap:Ok! So now I am intrigued. Please take a photo and post them of your neat grandpa's kitchen stuff!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Gorgeous BoardSmith! I swear I would feel bad about actually cutting on such a beautiful board!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Gorgeous BoardSmith! I swear I would feel bad about actually cutting on such a beautiful board!

Not a problem. The end grain construction takes good care of the knife edge and the board won't show a thing unless abused.

The BoardSMITH

Sharp knives tend not to leave deep cut marks because they are sharp and need little force to do their work. Dull knives will leave a mark because they require so much extra force to work and they are highly dangerous as well.