High Cheese

Saucier
Picked up an authentic (Made in Thailand) satay grill. Didn't make satay on it yet, but they were Thai inspired kabobs. lol

Cooked a liiiiitle too cool, but I think it was because I had too big charchoal in there. Not to mention the pieces of meat were pretty big compared to satay. Going to work out the wrinkles....

http://importfood.com/satay_grill.html

IMG_3616.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would not have known what it was HC. Looks neat though. :thumb:

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks. They are designed long and narrow so you dont burn the skewers. Its not meant for table top hibachi, but I think its short enough to be able to do that.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
That is pretty darn neat! Ive seen them before. How is flavor profile using it compared to grilling on a gas grill?

High Cheese

Saucier
That is pretty darn neat! Ive seen them before. How is flavor profile using it compared to grilling on a gas grill?

I use charcoal alot, probably more than gas, so I can't tell any flavor difference from this to my Smokey Joe. The shape of the grill itself doesn't impart any flavor, just the design is useful with the skewers.

The second time I cooked on it I used smaller pieces of charcoal (see the Cowboy lump thread) and got it to heat up alot better...actually too hot. haha I have a good idea of how much charcoal to put in there now.

The grill is not the highest quality. On the cooking grate, one of the ends broke off so I welded it back on. The rods that make-up the grate are kinda thin, so when I overheated the grill they warped. I welded in a couple supports, seems ok now.

I think it might be better suited for briquettes.....maybe I'll try those. Not too hot, small enough to fit inside nicely and burn long.