A little about the trade.

The Tourist

Banned
To the average citizen, I am a sharpener. That's not an accurate term, but it opens dialog for the most part.

In a very general sense, there are sharpeners, tinkers and polishers. I am a tinker.

A sharpener could be anyone with a wet rock and a touch of skill. A tinker offers a wider slate of services, including minor repairs to knives, pots and jewelry (usually the clasps). A polisher is a guild craft in repairing and refurbishing samurai swords, requiring many years with a togi master.

However, there is no reason why a tinker cannot use polishers' tools, and that is where I am on the togi totem.

I'm sure that many of you just scratched your heads and said, "Yikes, that must be a narrow, fractal craft."

In many ways, it is. But as the utilization of Japanese kitchen knives increases, the need for tinkers also rises. You don't grind a 2,000 dollar Hattori gyuto on Jed Clampett's scythe grindstone.

Most traditional kitchen knives are sharpened at 20 degrees. Many of the nakiris and gyutos I sharpen are at 6 to 8 degrees. The blade blank is made from numerous layers of varying metal alloys, tempered to harder HRC standards than is usually seen in this country.

So why did this happen? I believe it centered around 'plating' or in clear terms "presentation." Many chefs and sous-chefs are known by signature dishes. They want a pleasing entree for the diner, and more precise knives are required.

For a fugu chef, a sashimi with a rough edge might poison a client.

I polish bevels and edges to a mirror finish, and that's not an idle boast. I believe that this is needed for quality Japanese knives. And I throw the "kitchen sink" at the issue.

I use Edge Pro devices (many fittings Ben and I worked on together), plus 12,000 grit freehand stones, leather, pastes, glass, strops, brass--whatever the knife needs. Here is an edge on a very cheap knife...

DSC00312.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for the info Chico! Keep it coming as you have time. :D

I have to ask, how much does a 'cheap' knife like that cost?

The Tourist

Banned
LOL, that knife was a fish fillet knife I was preparing for a friend.

It is called a Veff fisherman's knife. About eight bucks.

The point I was making is that many times a potential client will tell me that their knives are not worth the investment of sharpening--until they are sharpened and returned to service.

Often a chef will pay more for sharpening (over a knife's useable lifetime) than the cost of the knife. For them, it's an easy call. The restaurant pays for the fee. The knife I carry as an EDC is worth about fifty bucks. If I was to bill out for the edge, it's worth 80 dollars.

In most cases doing the initial sharpening and making the bevel uniform is the main cost. From then on the bevel is mine, and the edge just needs to be re-polished.

As we speak, I am trying to get sattie to send me a knife so she can do some food preparation and report back to the forum.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I will add that I'm not a knife guru... Chico knows his stuff when it comes to knives. I plan on sending one to him to have sharpened. So when I get it back, I will let you know... I'm actually getting curious as to how a sharp nice is suppose to feel!!!!

The Tourist

Banned
When the knife comes back, just shake the package. The knife cuts itself out from the inside.

Here's a good example. I wanted to test my nakiri, so I took a swipe at a grape--and thought I missed. I found the slice on the blade.

It even amazed my dog.

DSC00356.jpg

Sasha.jpg

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL, good thread. :yum:
I would like to get my wife a good set of knives. Do you have any recommendations?

Just shake the bag to get the knives out!!!! :eek: Awesome. That would be a sharp knife indeed. :thumb:

The Tourist

Banned
Doc, this is a great time to offer a suggestion, and I think it's an important one to realize.

The tinkers that I have contacted (and who have registered here, so far) are some of the finest craftsmen in the USA and Canada. In fact, the supplier who sells me my stones believes that this group is the core of professionals who work with Japanese waterstones. There are less than ten of those in total.

Coupled with the knowledgable foodies, chefs and sous-chefs who congregate here already, this "marriage" can make this forum one of the most dynamic places in the realm of food and food preparation.

For example, look at the info JoeC has already posted. The info that took him decades to amass was yours for free.

But as I told sattie, (added to what I learned the hard way), tinkers and foodies may be somewhat different.

I hate the sound of this, but boys will be boys--who play hard. In utilizing the decades of knives and knife maintenance that has been handed to you, the news comes amid a gaggle of playmates.

Ask us about a knife or procedure from Japanese history and one of us knows the tale. However, if one of us gets a new knife worth several hundred dollars, we become children fawning over a new decoder ring.

We joke, we take pictures of the things we have sliced--heck, I took a picture of the knives stacked in my home freezer.

Chefs are from Venus, tinkers are from a saloon in Oakland.

The 'gentlemen,' and I use the term guardedly, involved in the craft of sharpening are my friends and business associates. You'll never get a sharper knife--anywhere.

You may have to listen to some bizarre jokes, however.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love it Chico. Thanks for the heads up. I sure appreciate the info, and like to run the forums as open as I can. I love a good joke, and to bs about just about anything.
I hope you guys will make Net Cooking Talk a regular stop on your daily internet travels. As you learn of other cool stuff share it here with a link if applicable.
Like my other forums, the main rule here is 'Be Civil'.
If there is the need for some forum changes ( a new forum here or there or the combining of forums etc....) I'm open to suggestions. I want to see this place grow. So I listen to any and all advice. I will do my best to accommodate you all.

The Tourist

Banned
Doc, let me give you an example of tinkers being "civil."

If you get a chance, go to Knife Forums in the "Keeping Sharp" section and peruse for a thread entitled "Bad Luck." One of our tinkers (a professional nurse and biker in the sense you can imagine) is suffering from some serious complications to damage of the C-5 vertebra he sustained from a mental patient.

To lighten his mood, he asked us to tease him.

Out of love, I trashed him.

Granted, we'll be on our best behavior here in NC--for the most part. And I must keep underlining this, these guys are the creme of the sharpening world. In fact, I was bustin' my buttons on how sattie was given the keys to the city by everyone.

I hope folks check our edges first, and go see KF/KS. It is my hope that the folks here at NC get the sharpest knives in this section of the cooking forums.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
It is my hope that the folks here at NC get the sharpest knives in this section of the cooking forums.

[:humor on/]

So you are going to be able to help me with all the people who keep telling me I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer?

[:humor off/]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Over at Knife forum in the Kitchen group we started up get togethers on the east coast and west coast. Now I don't attend the one on the west coast but have made both on the east coast. Both years they have been held at one of the members house (Warren) in Pennsylvinia. Dave Martell (D_R_Sharpening) is there since he lives close to Warren. Other people that came was the Shapton stone representive with his bus full of stuff, Dave Smith (BoardSmith) in addition to many of the members including my wife, grand daugther and myself. We had a great 2 day event.

Here are some pictures from the first one in 2007
http://picasaweb.google.com/unconundrum/KnifeMeeting51907#
http://picasaweb.google.com/unconundrum/NicksPictures#

This is some from 2008.
http://picasaweb.google.com/unconundrum/Gathering2008#

Maybe we could get some of you people to attend the next one sometime next summer. If you are wondering I'm the guy with the patch on his eye and the cleavers. :biggrin:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good pics. I saw the cleavers but didn't see your patch joe. :D
I bet you all had a great time.
Oct 11th I'm having a get together for Forums Forums at my boat club in Belpre Ohio. We are going to have a houseboat ride and cookout on the boat. I'm hoping the weather holds out. We are having it now because a member from Austraila is visiting the US and on his way from CA to the east coast. He is meeting all kinds of members along the way. Fun for sure.
I'm usually on the water in the summer. I love boating. Plus next year my son is getting married in August ...so we'll be busy with that. But, depending on when and where your get together is I might be able to take you up on that offer. :thumb:

The Tourist

Banned
As JoeC points out, we will got the long way for a gag.

The first picture is my real-deal business card. Swarf is the goo a sharpener gets on his hands from dirt, fine metal particles and dross from the wear on the waterstone. The Dark Lord of the Sith, however, is Darth Vader.

I have a tad of a mercurial temper.

The second is a possible plan for a new avatar and pic for new business cards. It refers to "tickling the dragon," a Japanese slogan for willfully doing something dangerous--and stupid. Tinkers often check for sharp edges by letting them bite into their fingerprints. That's how I check for keenness.

DSC00388.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If you need help with graphics stuff just give me a shout.
I run DotHQ.com and create websites and do all kinds of graphics stuff for fun. :hide:

The Tourist

Banned
Doc, you don't have to ask me twice.

I have decided to shift my business totally to Japanese knives. That's not saying that a serious foodie or chef is going to be left hanging. But I might loan them a butakiri whilst I labor...

I'm just tired of cleaning deer tallow from hunting knives and "barn debris" from hoof blades before I begin my job.

And to be honest, I'm retired--and loving it. I even have two complete sets of fixtures and stones, one for the truck and another for my home, so I can decide where to work for that day. I even recently bought one of those huge lighted magnifying lamps like you see on CSI if I know that my client's kitchen is unacceptable.

As for my cards, if the quote wasn't so long, I'd use a tag-line from Hunter S. Thompson.

waybomb

Chico
How do I find someone like you in either Saint Joseph, Michigan or Manitowoc Wisconsin I can bring my cheap German POS Tridents to? See if I can save them so I don;t have to buy a bunch of new Japanese knives.

I use a Cozzini ceramic ball type pull through hone for my knives. What do you think of those? I also use a ceramic steel, but I never know if I'm doing it right.

The Tourist

Banned
Chico, How do I find someone like you in either Saint Joseph, Michigan or Manitowoc Wisconsin.

The best way is to register over in KnifeForums. All tinkers I know have UPS clients all over the globe. The best refurbisher and tinker of hospital equipment is in Canada, in a town of 150 people.

Over in KF, there's a cutler in the UP named Mike Stewart. He makes knives for Bark River Knife. He is also a sharpener. Moreover, he knows all of us tinkers and who best could service your knives.

We all have a specialty. A guy who goes by the handle Ken123 does Chinese cleavers. Mike Stewart is a master of the convex edge. I do V-grinds on Japanese laminated knives. As stated Dwade does hospital equipment, but he also does kitchen knives.

My advice is to get to know the craftsmen. Call Mike.

The Tourist

Banned
AWESOME...dogie

You have no idea. Her parents were both show dogs, but I raised her as a terrier. She's absolutely fearless. I even keep a rein on her among dogs four times her size.

I awoke one night to what I thought was the guttural snarl of a German Shepard. Turns out the water softener had made a noise in the basement and my little girl went into full attack mode.

(I'm secretly kind of proud of the mutt. After the last fight, I bought her that topaz glass eye.)

The Tourist

Banned
My wife informs me that sometimes a girl just needs something to make her feel pretty. Yeah, the little mutt can be a diva, but I get misty just thinking of the naughty things she does.