Speaking of rice steamers.....

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I saw an Aroma at Target which was $40 - it's not fuzzy logic but it has a white rice or brown rice button.

I liked it - until I realized the smallest amount you could make is 4 cups !!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Just because a rice cooker might be slightly larger in cooked rice capacity than you expect to make, it does not neccesarily mean that you must cook that amount.

You CAN do less than that, if desired.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
this one said not to. it's a 16 cup and it said the smallest amount you should do is 4 cups.

i've seen that on crockpots too - that if you don't fll them high enough, the food burns.

Shermie

Site Supporter
So cook 4 cups and don't cook any more until all of the leftover rice is gone.

The max on mine is 3 cups, and I usually don't finish it all that evening. Three cups might not sound like much until you try to eat that amount.

But the next day, if I decide to cook some more, I then use my mom's old trick. When the NEW 3 cups of rice are done, I just put the little bit of leftover rice on top of it to warm it, and THAT rice is eaten first.

AllenOK

Leftover cold rice gets turned into Chinese Fried Rice here at my place. That's actually one of the reasons why I want to get a rice steamer. I can make more rice than I need for dinner (like tonight's Gumbo).

Shermie

Site Supporter
It's also good for putting in soup, because it's already cooked and you can throw it in at the last minute to heat up instead of waiting for it to cook in the soup and becoming too soft.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I appreciate the hard-sell. the thing also is that a 16 cup steamer is SO m uch bigger than a 3 cup !!! Remember I'm in a NYC apt !!!

gadzooks

I just picked up a Sanyo ECJ-HC55S/H, 5.5 cup, at the local thrift store for $6. Unused, but no box or accessories, and I had to download instructions, but WOW! I tried it out today with brown Basmati, and it was better than I've ever managed on top of the stove.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Got my Sanyo last week and used it last night for a mixture of brown rice, red rice, rye flakes and wheat berries. I was the only one who liked it, but my husband did eat it without complaining as he knows that white rice has very little food value. Not sure what I'll do about my kids - I promised the old steamer to a friend.

My steamer was $60 on ebay. Grey.

gadzooks

Lucky day! This morning I was setting up to paint an office at church, and broke to go do a computer job. On the way back, I stopped at the thrift store where I got my Sanyo rice cooker, and they had the slow-cooker bowl and a second inner lid for it for $2 + tax. I can live without the plastic rice paddle.