No Knead Bread; Aka, NYT Bread

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
No Knead Bread
From the kitchen of: Joe Valencic

Adapted from Mark Bittman of NY Times who got it from Sullivan Street Bakery.
Original Video at: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ah9ES2yTU [/ame]
Recommended working video at: http://www.breadtopia.com/basic-no-knead-method/

***Follow these instructions, not the original video. Trust me! ***

Yield: one 1-1/2 lb loaf

INGREDIENTS:

3 cups bread flour or all purpose flour (I use unbleached all purpose flour for this bread)
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
3/4 tablespoon kosher salt (or 1-1/2 teaspoons table salt)
1 1/2 cups warm water
Covered pot (3 1/2-quart or larger cast iron, Pyrex, ceramic, enameled cast iron, Corningware casserole dish (the 5 quart works great), even the liner from a Crock Pot with its lid...something that can go into a 450F oven.)

1. Mix dough: The night before, combine all ingredients in a big bowl with a silicone spatula until the dough just comes together. It will be a shaggy, doughy mess. Cover with oiled plastic wrap, or just slip it into a plastic shopping bag and tuck the handles under the bowl, and let sit 12-20 hours on countertop.

2. Shape & preheat: The dough will now be wet, sticky and bubbly. With a wet spatula, dump the dough on a well floured surface. Fold ends of dough over a few times with the spatula and nudge it into a ball shape. You can use your hands if you like, just keep your hands wet so that the dough does not stick. Generously dust a cotton towel (not terrycloth) with flour (I like to use parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray). Set dough seam side down on top of towel (or parchment paper). Flour and fold towel over the dough. Let it nap for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. When you've got about a half hour left, slip your covered pot into the oven and preheat to 450F.

3. Bake: Your dough should have doubled in size. Remove pot from oven. Holding towel, dump wobbly dough into pot (or, pick up parchment paper and set it right into the pot). Doesn't matter which way it lands. Shake to even dough out. Cover. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover, bake another 15-20 minutes or until the crust is beautifully golden and middle of loaf is 200-210F. Remove and let cool on wired rack, and listen to it ‘crackle’ as it cools. Let it cool for at least an hour (if you can resist), before slicing into it. If not eating right away, you can re-crisp crust in 350F oven for 10 minutes. I like to toast it and spray it with a little extra virgin olive oil.

Alternate Recipe by weight:

1# Unbleached all-purpose flour
¼ Teaspoon Instant Yeast
1-1/2 Teaspoon Salt
13 oz. Lukewarm water

Many different baking vessels will yield different shaped loaves. Here are some of the common shapes...

P1000721.jpg

P1000623-1.jpg

P1000615.jpg

P1000624.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ahhhhh the famous NYTimes bread makes it over to NCT!!! A bread simple enough for ME to make!

Joe, that is a magnificent post in every way!

Lee

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Joe, now show off your prettier baking vessels. Where are your cloches that go with this bread?

Woo hoo, you are on a roll:yum::yum::yum::yum:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Do you mean these...

P1010368.jpg

Schlemmertopf836.jpg

P1010158.jpg

P1010145.jpg

I can make three loaves of NYT at a time in my standard oven...

P1010061.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
All lovely and great looking, but how in the heck do you keep that kitchen so clean with all that baking???

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Do you mean these...

P1010368.jpg

Schlemmertopf836.jpg

P1010158.jpg

P1010145.jpg

I can make three loaves of NYT at a time in my standard oven...

P1010061.jpg

Absolutely! You are the one who inspired me to go to breadtopia.com and buy my cloche. If I could just get well enough to bake. I could stare about your bread pron all day. I get such a kick out of you, Joe. You have no idea.

chowhound

Jeez, you mean this can be made in a Corningware dish? I always thought CI was a must. Nice tip and great post, Joe.
Is it cooling in your third pic down? It's on the wire rack, but still in the vessel. I've only made this a few times and always dumped or lifted it out of the DO.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Jeez, you mean this can be made in a Corningware dish? I always thought CI was a must. Nice tip and great post, Joe.
Is it cooling in your third pic down? It's on the wire rack, but still in the vessel. I've only made this a few times and always dumped or lifted it out of the DO.
Yes, Fred, you can use Corningware or any ovensafe vessel that will handle 450 F temperature.

It's just on the rack in the Corningware for the picture. I rolled it out and placed it on the cooling rack after the picture. All bread must be cooled on a cooling rack to prevent it from getting soggy on the bottom. Minimum 2-3 hours cooling before packaging. I package and freeze all of my bread that will not be eaten the same withing 48 hours. This maintains the freshness, and the crispiness can be returned after thawing by placing in a 350 F preheated oven for 10 minutes, then serve fresh.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bump for JohnnyWest.

What a shame that Joe's photos are gone!

Let me see if I can paste one of my posts from another forum.

Lee

HO. LY. COW!!!

Gretchen this is fantastic!!!

I just tried a buttered slice of my first successful loaf of bread EVER, and it was unbelievable! Just as you described - DELICIOUS and perfect!

I'm so tickled with myself, with the recipe and with YOU! I sent it to a ton of my friends, many of whom are brilliant cooks and who are probably rolling their eyes at my glee, but I just had to share this with them!

I will have some tonight, with olive oil and seasonings, to go with my taco-less taco salad.

Thank you SO much for posting this!

Lee
Attached Thumbnails

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Here are a couple of my pictures also.

no_kneed_whey_bread_030817_P1100005.JPG

no_kneed_whey_bread_sliced_030817_P1100012.JPG

Yeah it really stinks that most of Joe's wonderful baked goods pictures are gone. :sad:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tried my hand again at this recipe, since the first attempt was so successful.

Dough was REALLY wet, so I added a little more as I was shaping it before the second rising.

It didn't puff up as much this time, but I was pretty happy with the outcome.

Served with Beef and Bean soup for dinner.

Lee
Bread.JPG
Bread, sliced.JPG
bread with soup.JPG

Last edited: