Paul Prudhomme's Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a whole chicken and a couple of links of andouille, so I grabbed my Paul Prudhomme cookbook ("Family Recipes") and hunkered down to make one of his marathon recipes.

Paul is a big fan of "layering" seasonings, and the 3-page, 2-day, using-every-pan-in-the-kitchen, recipe in my book was one of those. It is fun to do every once in awhile.

This on-line recipe is essentially the same, but not as complex http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php?pageID=300&view=447 I'm sure it would be as good, but this was GREAT!

You really CAN taste the complexity of flavors by following all the steps that Paul does!

Lee

Sliced andouille sausage

Fried chicken and brown roux

Gumbo, fried chicken and roux.JPG
A bowl of gumbo with rice

Last edited:
K

Kimchee

So can you explain the "layering" concept a bit?
I have a 2 day marinating methodology for my ribs, does that count?
LOL!

I bought some Andouille sausage today... hmmmm....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I love andouille (nothing even comes close to the taste), and that looks great!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
So can you explain the "layering" concept a bit?
QUOTE]

Well, for example, you make a seasoning mix of salt, garlic powder, cayenne and black pepper. You rub some of it into the chicken and let it sit in the fridge overnight.

Then you take some more of the same seasoning, mix it in some flour, shake the chicken in a bag, and fry it.

Then you take more of the seasoned flour and make a roux.

At the last 20 minutes of simmering, you add the last of the seasoning mix to the gumbo.

Kinda the way competition chili is made... adding seasonings at various points in the cooking process.

Pretty neat!

Lee

homecook

That looks so good, Lee!! I even have some of his seasoning mixes. I'm giving this a try, possibly this weekend. I love gumbo!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Picture #3 has me salivating. It looks like something I might want to make this coming weekend.