Italian-Style Tuna Sandwich - NY Times

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I made this last night and it was fantastic!

Used a jar of expensive imported tuna in oil (a birthday gift, Tonnino brand) and served it on a loaf of ciabatta bread. The only thing I did differently was use a white mildly hot pepper from my garden (Sante Fe Grande variety).

I will definitely make this again! I could eat that salsa verde on anything!

From the NYTimes Cooking newsletter. BTW, do yourself a favor and sign up for their free emailed recipes - I've made many and saved to make even more!

Lee

Italian-Style Tuna Sandwich

Ingredients

For the salsa verde:

• 1 cup Italian parsley leaves, washed and dried
  • ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • ¼ cup roughly chopped green olives, such as Castelvetrano
  • 3 or 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped capers
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • Pinch of crushed red pepper
  • Salt and pepper
For the sandwich:

• 1 baguette or 4 ciabatta rolls
  • Handful of lettuce leaves, arugula or watercress
  • 8 ounces best quality oil packed tuna, drained, in large chunks
  • 4 hard-boiled eggs
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 serrano chile, thinly sliced, optional

1. Make the salsa verde: Whiz parsley leaves and 1/2 cup oil in a food processor or blender to a pesto-like consistency, then transfer to a small bowl. (Alternatively, chop parsley by hand and combine with oil.) Add garlic, chopped olives, anchovies, capers, lemon zest and red pepper to parsley mixture and stir well. Season with salt if necessary and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Thin with more oil as desired.
  2. Cut baguette crosswise into 4 equal pieces, then split each lengthwise with a serrated knife. (If using rolls, split each lengthwise.) For each sandwich, lay bread flat, crust side down. Spread cut sides with 2 tablespoons salsa verde. Put a few lettuce leaves on 1 piece of bread and arrange 2 ounces of tuna over lettuce. Top tuna with 1 egg, quartered. Season egg lightly with salt and pepper. Add sliced serrano chile, if using. Drizzle with a little more salsa verde, then press sandwich closed.

Attachments

• IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_3230.JPG
    IMG_3230.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 1,027

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Tonnino is very good, as is the Ortiz brand. It's so nice to open a can or jar and not get assaulted with the tuna smell. It's pricy but worth it.

Love Castelvetrano olives. I'll have to try the salsa verde. One of my guilty pleasure snacks is the olives with some thin slices of Parm R cheese.