I Love Cornbread

RoadKing

To make plain old cornbread I use a cast iron pan, I mix my batter pour half of it in the pan then I grate some brick maple sugar. Enough to cover the batter. Then I pour the rest of the batter on top. There is not enough maple sugar to taste, it just makes the cornbread taste better but you're not sure why.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Maple sugar ehhh. My wife makes it from the box, in the oven but tops it with brown sugar. I never cared for it until she did that (her grandma's trick). Never had it made in a skillet. Am I missing out?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Maple sugar ehhh. My wife makes it from the box, in the oven but tops it with brown sugar. I never cared for it until she did that (her grandma's trick). Never had it made in a skillet. Am I missing out?

The cast iron really makes the crust crisp and good. I was raised on sweet cornbread so the maple sugar is just the right touch. Much better than the brown

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Cracklin' Cornbread

1 c cracklings
1 qt buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
3 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 c cornmeal

Put cracklings in bottom of greased iron skillet. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over cracklings. Bake at 425F until brown.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Indian Fry Bread

Mom had a note that she got this on a trip to an Indian Reservation in Anadarko OK.
3 c sifted flour
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
Water

Mix 1st 3 ingredients with enough water to make stiff dough and knead. Place in covered bowl and let set @5 hours. Pinch off small balls of dough and work out into 5 inch circle. fry in deep hot fat until golden brown. Can serve hot with butter, syrup, jelly vegetables, meats, or add sugar and cinnamon to the top.

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Jalapeno Corn Bread

This is one of my favorites.

2 c cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 eggs beaten
2 c buttermilk
2 tbsp oil
1 1/2 c cheese, grated
1/2 c onion, chopped
small jar Pimentos, chopped (I usually leave these out)
3 jalapenos, chopped or sliced (remove seeds to make milder)

Combine all ingredients. Put in greased iron skillet and bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until done.

Last edited:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Sausage Cornbread

2 eggs
1 c white cornmeal
1 c flour
1 1/2 to 2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 c buttermilk
2 tbsp oil, divided use
1 can cream style corn (optional)
1 lb sausage, cooked and drained
1 small onion, chopped and cooked
1 c grated cheese

Mix eggs, cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, sugar and buttermilk. Then add 1 tbsp of oil and beat. Heat remaining oil in iron skillet. pour in 1/2 the batter. Then pour in the cream style corn. sprinkle sausage and onion on top of the corn. Sprinkle on the grated cheese. Pour rest of batter on top. Bake 30 minutes at 400F.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Irish Soda Bread

4 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 7" caraway seeds
1/4 c margarine
2 c raisins (optional)
1 1/3 c buttermilk
1 egg, unbeaten
1 tbsp baking soda
1 egg yolk or a little cream

Sift first 4 ingredients together. Stir in caraway seeds. Cut in butter until cornmeal consistency. Stir in raisins. Combine buttermilk, egg and soda. Stor into flour mixture until just damp. Knead lightly. Shape into round loaf. Cut 4" cross on top 1/3 deep. Brush with egg yolk or cream. Bake at 375F about an hour.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Should work fine in the dutch oven.

Save a piece for me and I'll collect it when I go to Al's for pizza.

Jim

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Jalapeno Corn Muffins

1 1/2 c yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 c all purpose flour
1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 ts[ salt
1 2/3 c buttermilk
2 large eggs
1/2 c unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/4 c dairy sour cream
1 c finely shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)
1/2 c fresh corn kernals (1 ear) or 1/2 c frozen thawed corn
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
3 green onions, trimmed and finely chopped

Line 12 3" muffin cups with liners or cooking spray
Stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
Mix together buttermilk, eggs, butter, and sour cream in large bowl and blend well. Add cornmeal mixture to buttermilk mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are moist and blended. Do not overmix. Fold in cheese, corn, pepper and onions.
Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan with large ice-cream scoop (1/3 to 1/2 c per muffin). Fill just to top of cup.
Bake in 375F oven for 25 to 30 minutes until the tops spring back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes. Turn muffins out of pan and serve immediately.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Jiffy Onion Bread

Saute:
1/2 c chopped onion
1 tbsp oil

Combine:
1/2 c milk
1 beaten egg

Blend into egg mixture:
1 1/2 c biscuit mix
sauteed onions
1/2 c sharp cheddar, grated

Spread in buttered 8" round baking dish

Sprinkle on top:
1/2 c grated cheese
2 tbsp poppy or sesame seeds

Bake 400F for 20 to 25 minutes

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Jim this recipe is just plain great. Simple yet it really makes me want to make it. I bet its a killer comfort food and fantastic with most anything!
Thanks for the recipe!! :applause:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Jim this recipe is just plain great. Simple yet it really makes me want to make it. I bet its a killer comfort food and fantastic with most anything!
Thanks for the recipe!! :applause:

maybe pair this one with the Cabbage Soup?

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Never heard of onion bread. maybe similar to an onion bagle?

Jim should it be 1 1/2 biscuit mix
instead of 1 11/2 c biscuit mix
Let me know and I'll fix it for you.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Never heard of onion bread. maybe similar to an onion bagle?

Jim should it be 1 1/2 biscuit mix
instead of 1 11/2 c biscuit mix
Let me know and I'll fix it for you.

Yes, similar, and sorry, the "1" key is stuttering. :oops:

lechatchic

Corn Bread

This is my favorite!

1 box jiffy mix cornbread
1 box jiffy white or yellow cake mix.
2 eggs
2/3 Cups oil.

Follow the directions on the cornbread box. Super easy, with the texture of cornbread and a wonderful sweet flavor.

Locutus

Biscuits for restricted diets

Here's a recipe that you probably won't like the first time, but if you're on dietary restrictions, try it, and it really adapts to your taste buds quickly.

2 cups stone ground 100 percent whole wheat flour
1/4 to 1/2 cup wheat germ (to taste)
1 1/2 tablespoons sodium free baking powder (available at most health food stores)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups buttermilk ( this is a variable, use whatever you need for consistency of dough)

Mix flour, wheat germ, baking powder in a bowl.
Blend in Olive oil
Add buttermilk and stir until absorbed

Turn out on well floured counter top, and knead until consistent. Roll to your taste. I like to roll it about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut with biscuit cutter or water tumbler, and place on baking sheet sprayed with Pam.
Bake at 450 for 12-15 minutes.
Makes~12-14 biscuits

Serve with butter or margarine, and whatever kind of jelly or jam your cardiologist/internist allows you to eat. :tongue:

These babies will hit your stomach like boat anchors, and stick to your ribs all morning! :biggrin:

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I made these and I LOOOOVED them!!!!!
I went to Whole Foods to get the stuff and everything actually went smooth. Very very very good stuff!!!!!! :applause::chef:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Pumpkin bread w/eggnog icecream and mixed berry drizzle

Made this up over the holidays, very easy but I cheat and used a box mix for the pumpkin bread, LOL.

First, you have to make the ice cream the day before as it is cooked, then put it in the fridge over night. Another tip is if using an electric ice cream maker put its bowl in the freezer overnight. The colder everything is when you start making the ice cream the smoother it will be. This is not my recipe, so here is the link to it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-ice-cream-recipe2/index.html It is Alton Browns recipe.
On day two, make the ice cream up, then make sure to freeze it for at least 4 hours. Second, make up the pumpkin bread using your favorite recipe or a box mix as I did. While it is cooling make the mixed berry drizzle. We took one bag of frozen mixed berries (thawed), 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 raspberry wine. Brought it to a boil, then let simmer and reduce for about 30 minutes. Once it is ready (should be slightly thick and all the berries should have burst open), you can assemble everything together.
Slice up the pumpkin bread and place one slice on a small plate. Top with a scoop of the eggnog ice cream, then drizzle the berry sauce over it and serve!

Hope you enjoy, any questions just ask!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
An Irish friend made a loaf of this and gave to me one St. Patrick's Day. I didn't like the first slice. I LOVED the second slice and have loved this bread ever since.

I'd say it's a very quickly aquired taste! LOL!

Great toasted!

Lee

homecook

ISO blueberry muffin recipe

Does anyone have a good recipe?? Something that has a clear glaze on top> icing? according to my ds that's the kind he's looking for.

Barb

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
No clear glaze on top but my favorite, hands down is Maida Heatter's. I will try to post it later.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Bam's Easy Cornbread Muffins

yes i know everybody had there own cornbread recipe but i thought i would throw mine up as well.lol

i just made these this evening to go with my chili

2 boxes jiffy cornbread mix
1-2 jalapeno peppers, minced
1 can cream corn - 14oz
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 cup flour
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk (buttermilk works the best)

NOTE:
when i have some leftover grilled or smoked corn, i add an ear or two for a different flavor

mix eggs,milk and corn together... add the cheese and peppers to the dry mix

mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients.... let the cornbread mixture sit approx. 4-5 minutes before you put into greased muffins tins

make at 400*F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into middle of muffins comes out clean