ISO TNT Hot Cross Buns

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Looking for a TNT Hot Cross Buns recipe that you have actually made. I'm not impressed with the recipes I've found online, and definitely not happy with the one I have rising on the stovetop. The dough is stiff, in spite of adding additional water.

If you have a good one, let me know. I have to make these for an Easter bread baking class in a couple of weeks, and I want to find one that I like.

Joe

suziquzie

The dough for my sticky buns - caramel rolls (depends who i'm talking to) is nice and soft..... do you think that would work and just add the rest of your spices and stuff to it?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The dough for my sticky buns - caramel rolls (depends who i'm talking to) is nice and soft..... do you think that would work and just add the rest of your spices and stuff to it?

Great minds flow in the same gutter...I was wondering that myself. I think Hot Cross Buns are of British origin, which if that's true, I need to just start fabricating something brand new for the American palette (no offense, Miniman). I traveled frequently to the UK back in the 90's and did not care for much of their foods, and most of their dessert type foods.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I just checked Robert S. Pile's cookbook, "Menu Planning for Every Occasion, (he was President of Hough Caterers') and unfortunately the recipe for Hough's Hot Cross Buns is not here. I loved theirs when I was little.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I found a recipe in the 1953 Slovenian Women's Union cookbook, and I'll be trying it tomorrow.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Sounds like a great book, Joe. The kind I always love to look at. Let us know how it goes.

Calicolady

Pics too. I have a recipe somewhere I'll dig up. I haven't done in years, but leave out the raisins. Sorry, no raisin pastry here. BLICK!

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
This is traditional with the dried fruit. Hough Bakery use to do that:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/breakfast/HotCrossBuns.html

Joe, I think this will be close to what we use to get. It is an enriched dough with milk and butter. If you use the candied citron and currants and the peel like Hough, you will be happy. I just would only use cinnamon and nutmeg as I am not crazy for allspice and cloves. I often adjust those spices down because they are so strong.

Last edited:

homecook

I found a recipe in the 1953 Slovenian Women's Union cookbook, and I'll be trying it tomorrow.

Joe, if that doesn't work out for you I've got a recipe in my 1964 Universe Bulletin cookbook. We'll compare recipes. lol

Barb

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I ended up concocting my own recipe from a couple of recipes, and it turned out pretty good. The texture was fine and the look acceptable. Took them to the pot luck last night and they disappeared.

P1010485.jpg

P1010486.jpg

The recipe is hand written so I'll have to transcribe it sometime today.

PanchoHambre

Those look great Joe. Looks like you got what you were going for.

The hot cross buns I am used to are definitely denser stickier things... yours look a bit more airy. Nice take.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Those look great Joe. Looks like you got what you were going for.

The hot cross buns I am used to are definitely denser stickier things... yours look a bit more airy. Nice take.

You're correct; the recipes I found were all dense, and I think they are a form of penance during Lent. LMAO

My recipe is a bit lighter in texture, and evolves from my basic white bread recipe with some additions and adjustments to get a reasonable crumb. I also did not put clove powder in mine, as I don't like it in baked goods. I'm going to post the recipe as a separate post so it does not have all the preceding comments with it. Check in a minute and it will be there.

homecook

They look really good!! Glad you were able to come up with an alternative.

Did you add raisins or dried fruit to these?

Barb

Last edited: