1 can beef broth/stock
1 small onion, chopped
2 T dried parsley
1 T dried basil
1 T garlic powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 T cornstarch

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; Drain.
Add 1-1/2 cups beef broth, onion, parsley, basil, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until onion is tender.

In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth. Stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.

Barb

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I did something very similar to this with my meatloaf. I used the grease to make a roux from flour, then added the beef stock (1 can) and 1/2 can beef consume (consume was left over from something else I cooked). Added 1/2 can water, and I had gravy. This is truly a wonderful gravy!

Your version is a meaty version meaning you have a meal when poured over noodles, taters, or white bread for an open faced sandwich.....which I love! Great stuff. Thank you!

Here’s the reserved grease in the bottom of the DO.
Step4-1.jpg

And the gravy it makes. Wonderful color and taste!
Step7.jpg

homecook

That looks yummy Keltin!!! I'll have to try that some time. Thanks. I usually drain the grease and add a can of tomato or mushroom soup to make my gravy.

Barb

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm actually going to make your recipe for dinner tomorrow night. I plan to have 3 versions, over rice (my fav), over noodles, and over bread. Should be great, and I'll post pics. I think gravy over rice is a Southern thing, but I love it. Thanks again!

chowhound

I sprinkle the flour right on the meat and leave the gease in the pan if it isn't too much, or I might drain some. Then I keep cooking it a bit and then add my stock, milk or whatever. I make sausage gravy the same way. I'm always looking to not dirty another pan.

That looks great K.

Jeff G.

1 lb ground beef
1 can beef broth/stock
1 small onion, chopped
2 T dried parsley
1 T dried basil
1 T garlic powder
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 T cornstarch

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; Drain.
Add 1-1/2 cups beef broth, onion, parsley, basil, garlic powder, seasoned salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered for 5-10 minutes or until onion is tender.

In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth. Stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles.

Barb

Wow.. that a lot harder than mine.

Fry your hamburger, drain most of the grease off. Sprinkle on flour, a couple of tablespoons... the meat should have a light coating after stirring it around.

Let that brown a bit to cook the flour. Pour in milk and bring up to a boil. Cook until it begins to thicken, Salt and Pepper to taste.

Very tasty...

Constance

I sprinkle the flour right on the meat and leave the gease in the pan if it isn't too much, or I might drain some. Then I keep cooking it a bit and then add my stock, milk or whatever. I make sausage gravy the same way. I'm always looking to not dirty another pan.

That looks great K.

Same here...besides, I like all the little bits in my gravy.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Did this tonight, and it is so good. Simple, but very good. We have 3 presentations. Main dish is presented, but please add broccoli and cheese as your sides as I did, or others of your liking!

Gravy, Meat, and Rice
Step1-3.jpg

Gravy, Meat, and Noodles
Step2-3.jpg

Gravy, Meat, and Bread (open faced sandwich)
Step3-2.jpg

homecook

Your welcome!! I usually serve over mashed potatoes, but I'm going to do bread next time. You did a great job.....looks yummy!

Barb

Barb