Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I posted this on the other site last week, and had a request to post the recipe here. The recipe is also on my website (link in my signature block below) and you can print out or download a PDF file of it for your own use. This is an unusual recipe in that it also has a side recipe for my cabbage soup, since you are making the stock while blanching the head of cabbage. I frequently make both the same day and freeze teh soup for a later date.

P1010340.jpg

Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
From the kitchen of Joe Valencic

INGREDIENTS:

1# Meat Loaf Mix (Beef, veal, pork)
1 Medium head of green cabbage
1 1/2 t Salt
1/2 t pepper
Garlic powder to taste
1/4 C Fresh minced onion
1 Egg
1/2 C Uncooked white rice
1 Condensed Tomato Soup -- 10 3/4 oz. can (I like Campbell’s soup the best for this recipe, but you can use whatever you want)

DIRECTIONS:

Make rice according to package directions then allow to cool in fridge. Al dente rice is fine.
Pre heat oven to 350 F with rack in the middle position. Fill a stock pot with enough water to cover the cabbage head and bring to a boil. Spray a 9 x 13 glass dish with cooking spray to hold the rolls.
Thoroughly mix cooled rice with all above ingredients except for the soup. Core the head of cabbage and put it into the boiling water for about 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove leaves as they easily come off the head, and immediately run under cold water to stop the cooking process. You just want the leaves to be blanched and starting to get limp, not thoroughly cooked. You will need about 8-12 leaves for this recipe depending on the size of the cabbage.
Fill each leaf with about 2-3 Tablespoons of mixture starting at the base of the leaf. Roll the leaf forwad to cover mixture, then fold in the sides of the leaf and finish rolling forward. A toothpick can be used to hold the roll together if it doesn't want to stay put. Place rolls into greased pan until the pan is filled.
In a separate container mix the tomato soup with 1 can of water, then pour over the cabbage rolls. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 90 minutes. Serve piping hot with fresh bread. Mashed potatoes make a good side dish with this recipe.
Recipe makes 8-12 rolls. I usually double this recipe and freeze the rest. A large head of cabbage will accommodate the doubled recipe.

If you have a lot of cabbage left over (or if you buy a large head just for this purpose), you can make cabbage potato soup. The water makes excellent vegetable stock. Take balance of cabbage from the water and coarsely chop and put back in water. Take a large sweet onion and coarsely chop it as well. Take about 1 pound of your favorite potato and cut into small cubes (size of your choice). You can also add celery, carrots, turnips or your favorite root veggies. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste. soup is done when the potatoes are fork tender. Serve with crusty bread and butter. Can be frozen.

Calicolady

Joe, that"s so pretty. Thanks for posting again.
I'm an average eater for a female. How many could I handle?
1-2?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Joe, that"s so pretty. Thanks for posting again.
I'm an average eater for a female. How many could I handle?
1-2?
My wife and daughter will eat 1-2 of them. I make them so they each have about 2 oz of filling, so two would be 1/4 pound of filling plus the cabbage. That's pretty hearty for most ladies, especially if you add a side dish and a salad.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i love cabbage rolls..just made a big pan of them last week...

yours look awesome

this last batch i did something different, i used savoy cabbage... i only had to shave the veins a slight bit and only had to blanch the cabbage quickly in order to roll them... seems that savoy cabbage was a little sweeter as well

20104665.JPG

Constance

Here's something you might like to try...bake your cabbage rolls on a bed of chopped cabbage (what's left after you make your rolls), and sauerkraut, either jarred or packaged from the deli. You'll probably also want to add another can of soup. That's the way a lot of the Polish Americans around here cook them.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Here's something you might like to try...bake your cabbage rolls on a bed of chopped cabbage (what's left after you make your rolls), and sauerkraut, either jarred or packaged from the deli. You'll probably also want to add another can of soup. That's the way a lot of the Polish Americans around here cook them.

That's a great way to use up the cabbage. I think Fred said he just chops the cabbage and doesn't bother with rolling them. If you made them up like meatballs that would be a lot easier than the blanching and rolling. I'll have to give that one a try one of these days.

HEY FRED! How do you do yours...Erie style?

homecook

That's what I do, put a bed of chopped cabbage on the bottom of the roaster
and another layer on top. I do use 2 cans of soup w/water. My Polish grandmother taught me how to make these.
I don't like the saurkraut....too sour for me. My sil used to make them that way and she is Croatian.

Barb

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
That's what I do, put a bed of chopped cabbage on the bottom of the roaster
and another layer on top. I do use 2 cans of soup w/water. My Polish grandmother taught me how to make these.
I don't like the saurkraut....too sour for me. My sil used to make them that way and she is Croatian.

Barb

Do you make them like meatballs or just spread out the mix on top of the bed of cabbage?

BTW, me and DW both loved your wheat bread. I'll be needing that recipe. I like how high you got it to rise as well. I made a Genoa salami & cheese sandwich for breakfast on wheat toast with butter. Yeah, sounds crazy, but I love toasted and buttered bread for sandwiches. And the morning meat thing I picked up when I used to travel to Europe frequently for work back in the early 90's. Love all kinds of salamis.

Joe

homecook

Do you make them like meatballs or just spread out the mix on top of the bed of cabbage?

BTW, me and DW both loved your wheat bread. I'll be needing that recipe. I like how high you got it to rise as well. I made a Genoa salami & cheese sandwich for breakfast on wheat toast with butter. Yeah, sounds crazy, but I love toasted and buttered bread for sandwiches. And the morning meat thing I picked up when I used to travel to Europe frequently for work back in the early 90's. Love all kinds of salamis.

Joe

I make the rolls just like you do. The "extra" cabbage I just shred largely and make a bed on the bottom of the cabbage rolls. I use a roaster to make them, about 3 deep. Then on top I just add another layer of shredded cabbage. I think my grandmother did it this way so the cabbage rolls wouldn't burn on top. I use the shredded cabbage and gravy to put on my mashed taters!

I'm glad you liked the bread.....you should be proud, you're the one that got me into baking bread! I'll print up the recipe and give it to you when you get back.

Barb

waybomb

My wife, from Poland, makes these too, Called phonetically Go-umpkey. Have no idea how to spell it in Polish.
Probably gwzobwmzcyczeyczzwcwzwcwzceyce.

homecook

My wife, from Poland, makes these too, Called phonetically Go-umpkey. Have no idea how to spell it in Polish.
Probably gwzobwmzcyczeyczzwcwzwcwzceyce.

hahaha:yum::yum::yum: My Polish grandmother always called them golumpki. Her and my grandfather were from Krakow.

Barb

waybomb

We visit Krakow every year. What a wonderful place. If we ever sell my wife's Polish house, we are buying a condo in the old town. I love it there. Every time we go, I eat like a hungry pig, and come back pounds lighter from all the walking. We never rent a ride or take a cab - just walk and walk. So much to see and do.

homecook

We visit Krakow every year. What a wonderful place. If we ever sell my wife's Polish house, we are buying a condo in the old town. I love it there. Every time we go, I eat like a hungry pig, and come back pounds lighter from all the walking. We never rent a ride or take a cab - just walk and walk. So much to see and do.

I've never been.......I would like to one day, sounds like a wonderful place!! I've only heard the stories from my late grandmother. Of course she passed this past June at 99 yr. old so I'm sure alot has changed. lol

Barb