What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Go for it Joe. I know you won't regret it. Here's today's bake :) 40% fresh ground whole wheat and 10% fresh ground spelt, about 90% extraction on both. 50% white. 80% hydration. 5% honey.

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0798.JPG

FooD

Beautiful loaves!

I've been reading Reinhart's Artisan Bread book and would love to do something like that one day.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Nice Joe and Warren.
Umm Joe.. a loaf AND some of the peach preserves please?

You know how I feel so in the mood for toast both hither and yon.:whistling:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Nice Warren. I've decided to put off any notion of building WFO, at least for this year. I just don't think I would get the mileage out of it to justify the investment in time and materials. I would hate to look outside every day and see something that was not being used to its potential. Maybe when I fully retire ,but as long as I have the business, I can't see myself using it as often as it should be used. One a week of once every couple of weeks is not good utilization, IMO. Until I retire, I will live vicariously through you and your WFO.:biggrin:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Oooooh! I didn't know that. Good suggestion, Mama. But then, that's what Mamas are for!:clap::clap:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Sugar free Corn muffins made with Ideal Brand sweetener for baking.

ideal_sugar_free_corn_muffins_082510_P1060225.JPG

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Those look wonderful, Peeps - how did they taste? Looks like this new sweetener works great for baking. I baked some bread this morning - did not take any pictures. )-:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Those look wonderful, Peeps - how did they taste? Looks like this new sweetener works great for baking. I baked some bread this morning - did not take any pictures. )-:
Thank you Karen. We were really happy with them. I used the brown on my sweet tater and it taste really good. There is a recipe for Oatmeal/raisins cookies on the brown that I want to try. I also have the confectioners substitute and want to make a lemon meringue pie.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Kalamata olive & rosemary Focaccia Bread

kalamata_rosemary_focaccia_090510_P1060269.JPG

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh gosh, that looks beautiful. I wish I could smell it!
Thank you Karen!! It is the first time I ever made this. I used your recipe for the dough but I proofed the yeast in the water & sugar before adding to the flour and added the fresh rosemary and chopped kalamata olives. Topped with fresh grated romano and parm & ground herbs. Is it supposed to be that flat or did I do something wrong? It was nice and crispy crunchy!! I think tomorrow I will make some poached eggs and dip this in the yolk!!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
lilbopeep said:
Is it supposed to be that flat or did I do something wrong?

I don't think you did anything wrong. Mine comes out puffier, but that probably has something to do with how well the yeast performs in this warm and humid climate. I use Saf-T instant yeast, which is made here in Mexico, and sold on the King Arthur flour site. Wonderful stuff. And I may have baked mine in a smaller pan than you, also. I can split it for sandwiches, and it isn't very crunchy, but again, that's probably our climate. One of the things I love about focaccia is that you don't have to put butter, oil or anything on it - it's good to eat just like it is.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Where have all the bakers gone? I got home from the gun show yesterday and made honey whole wheat bread and Polish sourdough rye.

Bread111410.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Ah Joe, I love to look at your bread and imagine how wonderful your kitchen must smell. I've been baking almost daily since it finally got a little cooler here, but just forget to take pictures and post. I'm almost out of bread, so may do some baking today.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Guns and Loaves!! LOL A new band? Do you play any instruments?

The bread looks fantastic as usual Joe!!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Guns and Loaves!! LOL A new band? Do you play any instruments?

The bread looks fantastic as usual Joe!!
Target shooting pistols and rifles is another of my hobbies. I also like to reload my own ammunition to insure consistency and accuracy. It's one of those life long hobbies. After all that competition, sitting down to a good meal and a fine loaf of bread is like going to heaven. A new song??? I don't think it has quite the ring to it.:yum:

vyapti

I made pull apart rolls for our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and just pulled out a couple loaves of anadama bread. It smells so good.

5215469955_8dff849b19.jpg

5215934067_d7ba2661cf.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Good looking bread and rolls. I made no-knead baguettes for our SIL's birthday dinner, and honey whole wheat bread for the freezer.

P1020942.jpg

I folded that dough 4 times over 14 hours, and used just a little over 1/4 teaspoon of yeast for leavening, and 80% hydration...magnificent!

P1020943.jpg

P1020950.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I made pull apart rolls for our Thanksgiving dinner yesterday and just pulled out a couple loaves of anadama bread. It smells so good.

5215469955_8dff849b19.jpg

5215934067_d7ba2661cf.jpg
Those look fanatstic!! Whats in the loaves? They are nice and dark.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Joe and vyapti, your breads look SO good! I like the way you put those baguettes together, Joe - how did you do that? Vyapti, do you have a recipe for the anadama bread? I've heard of it - I suppose I should just google it, but if you have some extra special tips, could you share them?

I baked four baguettes today - didn't take pics, but they're very good and we used one for our Italian sausage sandwiches tonight.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I baked tollhouse and sugar cookies GASP :shock: ........ from the tube! I never used these before but they were on sale and there was a little machine attached to the edge of the shelf dispensing a $1.25 off coupon in addition to the sale price. So I said what the heck. They aren't that bad but my homemade are better. Very quick though and no KA to clean up!!

I have 1 more tollhouse and a peanut butter tube to make tomorrow. It was a 2fer sale and coupon.

vyapti

Those look fanatstic!! Whats in the loaves? They are nice and dark.

They're made with molasses and a little cornmeal. I've been wanting to try it ever since I bought the cookbook. I've already had half of one of the loaves for toast and sandwiches tonight.

Vyapti, do you have a recipe for the anadama bread? I've heard of it - I suppose I should just google it, but if you have some extra special tips, could you share them?

I got out of the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bread-Bakers-Apprentice-Mastering-Extraordinary/dp/1580082688"]Bread Baker's Apprentice[/ame].

vyapti

I've been working on a super enriched white bread (without milk or eggs) to ween the kids off supermarket white bread. And I tried really hard to make yesterday's bread a disaster. I was competing with dinner for the oven and ended up over-proofing the bread, then right after I put it in, my wife turned the oven off. Somehow, it turned out OK. The crumb was too airy and the crust was splotchy, but it tasted good. It'll probably go mostly for toast.

Today, my wife's making gingerbread biscotti and I made a batch of Gobi Parathas. Not baked, but still bread =)

5235143927_0086448b2d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.