Old 5-spice

suziquzie

I have a bottle but I'd bet I've had it 10 years. Does it go bad? As in hurt someone? :dizzy:
Yes I understand it will have lost much flavor and I will be using an "inferior product" in my cooking... yadda yadda....... :whistling:
But my kids have no taste buds anyway so as long as I'm not injuring them its probably best if I use it at half flavor!

lilylove

lol... don't tell any one but Paul's been using a can of Paprika now for 13 years! I keep telling him to buy a new one... but he won't. I swear...it can't have any flavor left at all. It hasn't killed him yet.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't think so unless it has mold growing on it. Spices such as that are usually good for 6 months before they start to degrade taste wise. I'm just guessing on this as they don't last long around here as I use a lot of spice in mixes and such.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
10 years??? Hell Suzi, I would keep it another 10 years then you can antique it or something!!!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
But my kids have no taste buds anyway so as long as I'm not injuring them its probably best if I use it at half flavor!

:yum:

Spices don't go bad in a way that will hurt you, so you can use them no matter how old they are. As long as they have remained dry the whole time (no moisture to clump and grow mold) they are safe. The flavor will be degraded, but you know that already.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like an Ebay canidate to me.

I saw someone auction off a half pack of cigarettes once. They said to bid quickly as the pack was getting smaller as they waited to sell it! :lol:

Obviously a joke listing, but hey, put the 5-Spice up as Limited Edition Antique Asian Spices! :biggrin:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I posted a recipe on how to make your own this morning. It is only 5 spices combined.

I finally threw out all the old spice jars in the cabinet when I sold the RV last year and moved in with my daughter. Going through them, I remembered buying most of them in the late 60's and early 70's.

Fred