clarified butter?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
first why are all these threads closed?

i have a question about clarified butter ........... can i put clarified butter into my mister/sprayer and use it to spray phyllo leaves instead of brushing regular melted butter between the leaves?

AllenOK

Clarified butter will congeal at room temp. You can use clarified to brush phyllo with, but I'd keep it warm (over a candle, or in a double boiler), and brush the phyllo with the melted fat.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Peep, the reason they are closed is because it is supposed to be a place to quickly find references you might need in the kitchen. But if you have a question about something you read in a locked thread, just start a thread and ask the question!:flowers:

Lefty

Yank
Peeps, there is an original thread with the same post. The reference area is a copy of the post without comment to make it easier to look through the area without too much comment. I may have to re-think this and include a link to the original post so members can comment on it if they like.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
first why are all these threads closed?

i have a question about clarified butter ........... can i put clarified butter into my mister/sprayer and use it to spray phyllo leaves instead of brushing regular melted butter between the leaves?

As Allen posted it will firm up at room temperature so it would be tough to spray. It would be much easier to heat it and brush it really though I've never tried to spray it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps, there is an original thread with the same post. The reference area is a copy of the post without comment to make it easier to look through the area without too much comment. I may have to re-think this and include a link to the original post so members can comment on it if they like.
i looked in the quick links for new posts and only found the locked one. i didn't see the thread about the this new forum until after i made this post. if i had seen 2 threads i would have posted my question in the open thread. i think this is a good idea but like you said a link to a postable thread will be a great idea. i don't think the clarifird butter had its own link because i saw joe's recipes in the thread with your announcement about the new forum.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

I love this idea, peep!

I used clarified butter in a plastic squeeze bottle in bbq competitions (gives the meat a nice finishing sheen and flavor). It takes quite awhile for it to congeal, so if you work quickly, you may be able to pull it off.

I kept the squeeze bottle in a pan of hot water, in between entries, and it stayed liquid for hours.

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I never thought of putting it in a spray bottle then put that on the stove in a pan of water on low but it might work well for spraying. I put mine in 1 pt bell jars (1 pound makes 1 pint) and do it about once or twice a year. The stuff smells like you just fell into a butter popcorn machine and as I said the dog goes nuts for the foam you skim off in the process.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
thank you lee and joe.

brushing takes alot of time which allows the dough to become brittle. and the butter needs to be remelted so often. also brushing is a pain because sometimes the dough sticks to the brush which consumes more time unsticking and fixing it the way i want without ripping it. spraying it would be so much easier.

btw would using the clarified butter result in the same flakey/puffy layers of leaves as the melted butter? or are the milk solids part of what makes the leaves flakey and puff up?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
thank you lee and joe.

brushing takes alot of time which allows the dough to become brittle. and the butter needs to be remelted so often. also brushing is a pain because sometimes the dough sticks to the brush which consumes more time unsticking and fixing it the way i want without ripping it. spraying it would be so much easier.

btw would using the clarified butter result in the same flakey/puffy layers of leaves as the melted butter? or are the milk solids part of what makes the leaves flakey and puff up?

I'm really not the one to ask that too since my baking experience is limited really. Clarified butter's main advantage is for cooking while whole butter might be better for pastries. I use whole butter for example on baked potatoes or even mashed potatoes as I just like it better for that. I use the clarified for steaks, lobster as well as sauces where I think it really works great. The main advantage is its smoke point if using it from pan searing or frying. I have seen a few recipes that call for it as a lot of Asian and Indian dishes where high heat is important. When I use it I have a small 1/2 qt butter warmer that I keep on low on the stove which keeps it in liquid form for me without much problem be it brushing or simply spooning over something.

Lefty

Yank
I added links to all the threads in the reference section. If you have a question or want to reply to the reference entry, you can do so in the original post. I am moving this to the general cooking discussion area to keep the reference area clear.

Thanks