1 tsp cream of tartar
350 ml water

For the colour and aroma:
2-3 drops of rose oil
natural red food colouring

For dusting:
150 gr icing sugar
50 gr corn starch.

1)Bring sugar and water to boil in a deep pan. Then turn the heat to medium and simmer for 1 hour.
2) Mix corn stach in a bowl with cream tartar and 350 ml water. Take one soup ladel of the simmering syrup and mix with the starch mixture to warm it up.
3) Pour the starch mixture into the pan of simmering syrup and bring the mixture to boil. Then, this time turn the heat to low and cook the mixture for further 1 hour and 10 minutes until it is yellow in colour and glue like in consistancy. Stir it occosionally to prevent it stiking to the bottom of the pan. If you have a candy termometer, insert towards the end and when it reads 113C, Turn the heat off.
4) Add the colour and rose oil, mix well. Grease and line a square dish 23cmx23cm and grease the paper as well. Pour the mixture in to the dish and sprinkle with some corn flour. Set aside to a cool place at least 24 hours to set.
5) Mix cornflour and icing sugar for dusting. Tip Turkish delight on dusted surface and cut into cubes. Roll and coat the cubes in cornflour and icing sugar mixture. Place on a tray and let it dry for 2-3 days without any cover on. Then place them on single layer in a box. That is if you have any left lol!
Above makes 90-100 pieces of Turkish delight.
ENJOY!!!

fahriye

Hi, here is a recipe for Turkish Delight that I made recently.it was'nt easy to get it right but success in the end lol!!

Attachments

• IMG_0587.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0587.JPG.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 149

buckytom

Grill Master
oh man, i love turkish delights. my neighbors brought us some from their last visit home to ankara. they were fantastic.

thanks fahriye.

i wonder if i could make my own rose water or oil?

buckytom

Grill Master
yeah, i'm sure i can find it here, at an international food market.

but i have a lot of roses that are dropping their petals and need to be dead headed, so i was wondering how difficult it is to make rose water or oil from the spent petals and hips.

fahriye

Hi Buckytom, rose oil is made in Isparta in Turkey where i was born and grew up. We have rose fields all over Isparta and the smell is wonderful in the summer months through out the town. We export rose oil to France for perfume making. it is funny we never learned how to make it though because we can just go to shop and buy rose oil and rose water in Turkey at a very reasonable price. I will look into it learn when I go to Turkey this year. You probably teach me, by then lol!!!

fahriye

yeah, i'm sure i can find it here, at an international food market.

but i have a lot of roses that are dropping their petals and need to be dead headed, so i was wondering how difficult it is to make rose water or oil from the spent petals and hips.

How about making ROSE JAM with your petals!! It is lovely and smell of roses makes the jam extra special.

buckytom

Grill Master
ooh, i'd love to. but making jam scares me. i try to avoid making food that can blow up, making blazing hot gooey stuff stick to your skin.

but thanks, it will be fun to hear how to make rose oil or water when you go to turkey.

fahriye

I know i felt the same when I made 'bread 'for the first time. Now I am addicted and never buy bread anymore. I have learnt alot from joe. He makes wonderful bread.
You will enjoy making jam. Funny enough I have been saving the petals in sugar but I havent got enough to make jam yet.
By the way you can use 2 tbsp rose water instead of 2-3 drops of rose oil, if you are going to have a go, making Turkish Delight. Mix the rose water towards the end ( last 10 minutes or so and continue simmering until you reach 113C on the candy termometer.
GOOD LUCK!!