Pork Shoulder Smoked for 18-hrs.

Ross in Ventura

file-1363.jpg

file-614.jpg

7.6 lb. pork shoulder Friday night
file-377.jpg

file-1426.jpg

file-494.jpg

Rubbed with mad hunky all purpose rub slathered with mustard, wrapped and put in the fridge. until Saturday night
file-2043.jpg

On the Egg @220* Hickory wood for smoke a drip pan with apple juice and apple juice to spritz every hr.
file-1849.jpg

2 pm Sunday afternoon just got thru the stall
file-2480.jpg

Pulled @190* interior and let it rest
file-1574.jpg

Served with green beans and Hidden Valley Ranch Mashed Potatoes. This was well worth the time it tasted wonderful

Recipes:http://www.thebbqsuperstore.com/product_p/mad-hunky-ap-1lb.htm

Hidden Valley Ranch Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup sour cream
    • 1 packet (1 ounce) Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
    • 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
    • 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese

Instructions

1. Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer, uncovered for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes fall apart when pierced with fork.
    2. Drain potatoes in a colander and return potatoes to the pot. Mash potatoes until smooth.
    3. Stir in Ranch seasoning and sour cream, mascarpone cheese Serve immediately.

Thanks for looking

Ross

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh my oh my. I need a little green egg. That looks stupendous. :clap: :clap: :clap:

That V shaped grill looked unique. Is it a little green egg accessory or did you find it someplace else. It does a nice job of keeping the meat a little off the grill.

Great job Ross. Thanks so much for sharing.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Too bad that none of them are electric ones for use indoors!!

But I think that I can improvise by using my Rival BBQ Pit Crockpot Slow cooker and put some liquid smoke on the meat before using the dry rub, to obtain that real down home luscious smokey flavor!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ross, you didn't stay up all night to open up the Egg and spritz that pork every hour, did you?????

Lee

Ross in Ventura

Thanx for the pics and the recipe, buddy!!!
Enjoy Sherman

Ross
Oh my oh my. I need a little green egg. That looks stupendous. :clap: :clap: :clap:

That V shaped grill looked unique. Is it a little green egg accessory or did you find it someplace else. It does a nice job of keeping the meat a little off the grill.

I got that grill from Green Egg

Ross

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
How much charcoal did 18 hours of cooking time use? Guessing you had to add some mid way through the process.

Shermie

Site Supporter

I like thew V-shaped grill as well!!! It looks like it performs far better than and ordinary flat rack!!!

Some of the oven roasting pans come with a rack shaped like that!! :applause:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's one!

Actually, THIS one is far better, because the rack is further into the pan, but is raised just enough to help roasts drain off the fat for a more healthier succulent product!! :weber:

Attachments

• Roasting pan.jpg
    Roasting pan.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 1,183

Shermie

Site Supporter
I wanted so bad to get the Small Green Egg, but they all use charcoal and must be used outdors!! But I think I just found and alternative!

I was browsing through Amazon yeasterday and found THIS - a stovetop smoker. Now I'm seriously considering getting one!!

Mainly because i've always wanted to try doing some really down-home authentic meat smoking.

There is a backyard downstairs, but I'm on the fourth floor and it involves too much walking up and down the stairs, so getting one that's used outdoors only is not in the cards. I want to try smoking a 5-lb fresh pork shoulder in it!!

So I thougtht that this one would be the next best thing!! Thought about getting an electric pressure smoker, but it's more expensive, but it would do it far faster though. Here's the link and a few pics of it below.
smile.gif

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Amerihome-HS07587-Stove-Kettle-Smoker/dp/B007PRZC7W/ref=cm_rdp_product[/ame]

Attachments

• Stovetop Smoker.jpg
    Stovetop Smoker.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • Stovetop Smoker.jpg 2.jpg
    Stovetop Smoker.jpg 2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,100
  • Stovetop Smoker.jpg 3.jpg
    Stovetop Smoker.jpg 3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,080

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
You folks are making me want to build my smokehouse. Wife fusses about it but I would have had great smoking weather this fall. I do have a bunch of cinder blocks out back and plenty of lumber in the barn.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I got it!!

Bought the Stove Kettle Smoker (pictutred above) today at BB&B!!!

Looked online at their website this morning. Went out their this afternoon to look.

They had only one left!! Was going to leave it, but I didn't because I wanted it! Would have been regretting it later, so I bought it anyway.