DO Stuffed Rolled Steak

Fe Stomach

The War Dept. , in testing another recipe, tackled this one "Stuffed Rolled Steak" Lifted from the web site COOKS.COM.

Not all things turn out the way we would like them to. And when the War Dept. is unhappy, everyone else kinda walks along the sides of the hallways for awhile!

1-1/2 lb Boneless beef round steak
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
4 oz thinly sliced, fully cooked ham
2 med tomatoes, chopped
1 can mild green chilies, drained and chopped
1 med onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/4 cup fine bread crumbs
1 med carrot, cut length wise
1 hard-boiled egg, cut in quarters, length wise
2 tbl spoons vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 bay leaf

Trim fat from beef. Pound with mallet or edge of saucer until 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle good with 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, the oregano and pepper. Arrange ham evenly on beef. Sprinkle tomatoes, chilies, onion, garlic and bread crumbs on ham. Cut carrots lengthwise into halves, cut halves legenthwise into 3 strips. Arrange on ham. Place egg pieces down center of ham. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Carefully roll up beef, Fasten with metal skewers or tie with string. Heat oil in DO until hot. Carefully transfer beef roll to DO. Cook over medium heat until brown on all sides. Drain fat. Add water, vinegar, Worchestershire sauce and bay leaf. Cover and cook in 325 oven until beef is tender, about 1-1/2 hours. Remove skewers or string. Cut into 1 inch slices and serve with broth.

What we did different than the recipe called for:
We cooked this outdoors and it's still cool and windy so we added a briquette to the top and the bottom. we used 1 Roma tomatoe, 1/2 t garlic powder, and balsamic vinegar. We cooked 10 minutes longer.:oops:

This came out very dry, perhaps too much heat or time, but I doubt it.
The flavors, while they tasted OK, did not seem to 'marry' with the meat. May have been that the "stuffing" was actually isolated from the meat by the thin layer of ham. The egg would have been better used on the tossed salad!!:wink:

We are not really sure that this recipe was ever tested by the provider. As we put this together there were some oddities that kinda stand out while your doing the work....looked good on paper, but...:ohmy:

Anyways, here are the photos, (I can't seem to take indoor pics that aren't out of focus) If anyone decides to try this, and I wouldn't recommend it, you may discover what we discovered. I won't describe the oddities, lest we be wrong and ruin it for you!:whistling:

We are going to try Stuffed steak again, but perhaps we can find a more Italian flair and less of a "Tex Mex" as this one seemed to be.:glare:

Scotty

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,018
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 959
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,032
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 964
  • five.jpg
    five.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,017
K

Kimchee

I've made stuffed steaks, although smaller, with canned artichoke hearts,
black olives, prosciutto, onion, garlic.... marinated the beef in Kraft Zesty Italian
for a while first. Browned the rolls, then simmered for about an hour in
an Italian style tomato sauce.
Those were pretty good!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, your photos looked great, Fe!

I've made braciole in the inside oven, never in a DO.

My family and I made this one years ago. My stepmother might still have the recipe, and if you are interested, I'll ask her about it.

Lee

Attachments

• Braciole.jpg
    Braciole.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 953
Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
Fe -

so I've tried so'lotta' stuff - here's my take:

"rolled up" beef/pork/chicken -the ding-dong meat - pounded thin - cooks so fast,

ya' gotta start with cooked / hot "insides" aka "stuffings"

there's a lot of dishes in a lot of cultures with a lot of different names - which are all "stuffed rolled up slabs of thin meat" - starting a raw carrot (for example) inside a 1/2 inch thick rolled up meat-anything does not work well except possibly at 120-130'F for many hours . . . .

I cook all the internal goodies, I stuff 'em, I roll 'em up, I age 'em - I brown off the rolled-up thingie(s), then I oven finish at 250'F.

roll it up, let it stand in the fridge for 24 hrs for flavor melding....

just my dumb and stupid approach which - at least around here - seems to "work"
ymmv.

Fe Stomach

Well, your photos looked great, Fe!

I've made braciole in the inside oven, never in a DO.

My family and I made this one years ago. My stepmother might still have the recipe, and if you are interested, I'll ask her about it.

Lee

Lee, we are very much interested, If you can track it down.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
I have a procedure that may help, and while it may be way different from wht you did, it is still a rolled flank.

Butterfly the flank, then tenderize a bit. leave the whole thing open, and later in the following on the bottom half, ;leaving the top to fold over.

For the "stuffing" do day old white bread, dragged through a bit of heavy cream.
Sprinkle Diced, caramelized onion.
Sprinkle with dried bruised sage
Chopped garlic
Add small knobs of butter
fold and roll.

The cream soaked bread acts like a sponge, yet, when cooked, the ends of the roll the bread will be crispy like a crouton. The added fat helps keep the roll moist, as well as the butter helping, and the roll(even well done) will be nice, and fork tender without being dry. Also, the pan drippings, just de-glaze with some red wine, throw in a sprig of fresh rosemary, and some more garlic, let it come down, and it is a REALLY good natural pan jus.

Fe Stomach

I have a procedure that may help, and while it may be way different from wht you did, it is still a rolled flank.

Butterfly the flank, then tenderize a bit. leave the whole thing open, and later in the following on the bottom half, ;leaving the top to fold over.

For the "stuffing" do day old white bread, dragged through a bit of heavy cream.
Sprinkle Diced, caramelized onion.
Sprinkle with dried bruised sage
Chopped garlic
Add small knobs of butter
fold and roll.

The cream soaked bread acts like a sponge, yet, when cooked, the ends of the roll the bread will be crispy like a crouton. The added fat helps keep the roll moist, as well as the butter helping, and the roll(even well done) will be nice, and fork tender without being dry. Also, the pan drippings, just de-glaze with some red wine, throw in a sprig of fresh rosemary, and some more garlic, let it come down, and it is a REALLY good natural pan jus.

The stuffing is only the bread and spices w/onion, no carrots, tomatoes, green pepper, etc?

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
The stuffing is only the bread and spices w/onion, no carrots, tomatoes, green pepper, etc?

Nope, just plain and simple, though the addition of some mirepoix, lightly sweated, is a welcome addition. Tomatoes, would just turn to mush, and with the bread there is enough "soft" going on. Peppers I am sure could be fine, just sub the Holy trinity for mirepoix.