Campfire Stuffed Pork Chops (using foil)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s grilling food without a grill….

Campfire Stuffed Pork Chops

Ingredients

2 Pork Loin Chops
2 slices Ham
1/2 cup Swiss cheese

Procedure

Cut a deep slit into each chop. The sit should reach the back of the chop, but not break it.

Lay out a piece of ham, sprinkle liberally with cheese, then roll up like a cigar.

Stuff the rolled ham and cheese into the slit of the pork chop. Brush the pork with Olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Wrap the chop in heavy duty aluminum foil.

Start a campfire or add 25 coals to a charcoal grill. When the fire is ready, toss the pork packets directly onto the coals. Let sit undisturbed for 6 minutes then turn. Let sit another 6 minutes then remove and cover with a towel or cooler. Allow to rest 5 minutes. Unwrap, plate, and enjoy.

This is really easy to do, can be made ahead and kept in the fridge or cooler, and the flavor is outstanding. Go ahead and put this together at lunch (or the day before), throw it on the coals at dinner, and in a short bit of time, you’ve got a flavorful treat. And don’t be afraid to experiment with the stuffing. Add mushroom, green onions, garlic, etc, to the ham roll-up!

Check the pics….and you thought it would be dark and burned! That’s physics at work; gotta love it.

Step_1-67.jpg

Step_2-66.jpg

Step_3-59.jpg

Step_4-54.jpg

Step_5-47.jpg

Step_6-41.jpg

Step_7-32.jpg

Step_8-23.jpg

Step_9-18.jpg

Step_9a-7.jpg

Step_9b-5.jpg

Step_9c-3.jpg

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Those chops look like they are cooked perfectly.

:biggrin: I have that same set of dishes! Kinda weird, now we have matching red and white dishes. :biggrin:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I made these again last night. Sorry no new pics, the camera is still in a box somewhere??? :doh:

This time, I used thin Deli Turkey meat and a Mexican blend cheese for the stuffing. I wrapped the stuffed chops in foil and laid them directly on the coals and covered the grill. They laid on the coals 4 minutes per side.

I've got to say, this is a very easy and very impressive way to cook loin chops. Loin chops are very lean and can dry out and get tough easily. But using this method produces the most tender, juicy, and flavorful loin chop I've ever had. And it's so easy!

Next time you have some loin chops laid out for dinner, give this recipe and technique a try. You won't be disappointed!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Did this again last night, and remembered to grab some pics for this thread.

Again, I can’t praise this method enough for a boneless loin chop. It makes one of the best loin chops I’ve ever had with a very minimal effort.

This time I didn’t stuff them, just cooked them with S&P in the foil on the coals.

The end plating is on fine china, and a bit busy if you ask me…..but DW is a side nut and loves her varied sides! :yum:

Attachments

• ck1.jpg
    ck1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 590
  • ck2.jpg
    ck2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 583
  • ck3.jpg
    ck3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 583
  • ck4.JPG
    ck4.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 587
  • ck5.jpg
    ck5.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 593
  • ck6.jpg
    ck6.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 576
  • ck7a.jpg
    ck7a.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 587
  • ck8.jpg
    ck8.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 579

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I don't remember seeing this before! Boy, it looks fantastic, K! So juicy and tender!

Each chop has it's own packet, right? Six minutes on each side? I'll try them!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I don't remember seeing this before! Boy, it looks fantastic, K! So juicy and tender!

Each chop has it's own packet, right? Six minutes on each side? I'll try them!

Lee

Yep, each chop gets its own packet, but it's 4 minutes per side. Basic steak rule of thumb for medium rare. 4 min per side in this case produces a well done, but juicy loin chop. I time it with a stopwatch (go figure huh), so it is always 8 minutes at 4 per side. Works every time with a 3/4" to 1" thick chop.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm.....seems I've deviated from my original post! I now use 4 minutes per side and not 6 - for unstuffed chops that is! :biggrin:

Stuffing the chops, yeah, you can go up to 6 per side.