TGIFriday Veteran's Day 11/11/11 What's cooking?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Well cold in is full swing. I can't taste a thing. So I will probably make grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. I won't need to taste test that.

Any plans?

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Meatballs in Brown Gravy over Penna. Dutch Egg Noodles (w/ Peas)

IMG_1627.jpg

Without...............

IMG_1628.jpg

With.................

IMG_1629.jpg

and a Simple Salad, Half with Creamy Ranch (Hers)
Half with Balsamic Vinaigrette (mine)

IMG_1614.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

IMG_1627.jpg

Without...............

IMG_1628.jpg

With.................

IMG_1629.jpg

and a Simple Salad, Half with Creamy Ranch (Hers)

IMG_1614.jpg
WOW!! That looks so good!! :wow:

lilylove

Lamb meatballs with a lemon sauce served over rice and Greek Spinach cups.

:) Spinach cups ( from http://greekfood.about.com/od/vegetarianrecipe1/tp/bestvegrecipes.htm) I've made some changes

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped leek, white part only
  • 1/4 cup chopped mushroooms
  • 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed almost dry
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray 4 ramikins with Pam or other cooking spray, set aside for now.
2. In a frying pan heat 1/2 of the oil .
3. Then add the the sliced onion and sliced leek and cook until they start to brown. It should take 4 or 5 minutes.
4. Add the spinach, mushrooms and the rest of the olive oil. Cook that for another 5 or so minutes. Spinach should be tender when done.
5. Take all of the mixture from the pan and let sit until cooled.

6. Add the cheeses, eggs and the salt and pepper and mix well. Fill your bowls with an even amount of spinach mixture in each.
7. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. It'll puff up nicely.
Yummmmy Yummmy!

Last edited:

Embryodad

Tina has a pot of Beef barley soup on the stove.

Just a 4 Qt. pot as a cooking vessel .

I have some meatball mix thawed out..I want fried meatballs, and there is 5 links of hot sausage. I may make a sort of seafood stew, and then cut up the fried sausage in 1" pieces and throw that in the stew.
I have muscles, and a can of clams. Canned peppers are in the canning jar from last year...so that sounds like a go.

With shopping list in hand...

Pear (Bosc) & arugula salad w/ walnuts, diced red onions, torn romaine, feta crumbles & (Newman's Own) Cranberry Walnut Vinaigrette dressing.

Pumpkin ravioli (using wonton wrappers) w/ brown butter, lemon & sage sauce.

Grilled (on my indoor grill) pencil asparagus.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Hope you feel better soon Peepers!

LT....my goodness....that looks AMAZINGLY GOOD!!!!

YUM Lilylove! That sounds delicious!

Can't wait to see the pics Jimmy, that sounds wonderful!

I'm still on the fence....I have chicken tenders thawed but really want some crab cakes. I better be figuring it out soon :lol:

Leni

I'll use the leftover chicken to make enchiladas with whole wheat tortillas. Side will probably be a big salad. DH snuck a couple of Holloween candies last night and his blood sugar is up this morning.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Hope you feel better soon Peepers!

LT....my goodness....that looks AMAZINGLY GOOD!!!!

YUM Lilylove! That sounds delicious!

Can't wait to see the pics Jimmy, that sounds wonderful!

I'm still on the fence....I have chicken tenders thawed but really want some crab cakes. I better be figuring it out soon :lol:
Thank you Mama.

Leftover pheasant & veggie stirfry for us.

I did send my Korean-war veteran dad 4 "whale-size" soft-shell crabs (his favorite), which will arrive next week for him.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Chicken - either chicken enchiladas or tortilla soup, haven't made the big decision yet.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I made tuna salad for the family. They had it on kaiser rolls.

I made myself a grilled cheese - 1 thin slice velveeta, 1 thin slice american cheese, 1 thin slice muenster cheese and a sprinkle of fine shredded cheddar cheese. Melted butter in cast iron pan then sandwich browned nicely on first side then lefted and more butter added then sandwich turned and browned nicely on the other side.

Embryodad

I made tuna salad for the family. They had it on kaiser rolls.

I made myself a grilled cheese - 1 thin slice velveeta, 1 thin slice american cheese, 1 thin slice muenster cheese and a sprinkle of fine shredded cheddar cheese. Melted butter in cast iron pan then sandwich browned nicely on first side then lefted and more butter added then sandwich turned and browned nicely on the other side.
Ooooo! That sounds good peep..

I just learned something about the butter and the pan toasting of a grilled cheese.

I usually butter the bread on each slice on one side..then assemble the cheese and or with ham or tomato, and the butter gets all over my dish and hands. L O L

Your method sounds less sloppy. Hmmm.

OMG..I'm wishing for a fried kaiser roll in butter...or a fried bagel. Um!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ooooo! That sounds good peep..

I just learned something about the butter and the pan toasting of a grilled cheese.

I usually butter the bread on each slice on one side..then assemble the cheese and or with ham or tomato, and the butter gets all over my dish and hands. L O L

Your method sounds less sloppy. Hmmm.

OMG..I'm wishing for a fried kaiser roll in butter...or a fried bagel. Um!
Thank you Jimmy. It LOOKED good. I really couldn't taste it. :sad:

Yes I like to get the pan really hot then add the butter and melt it. Then add the sammie. Sometimes I just put 2 pats of butter (separated) on the uncooked top side then just flip it and move it around till butter melts.

I had my sammie a few hours ago and am thinking of making another. LOL

Embryodad

Meatballs in Brown Gravy over Penna. Dutch Egg Noodles (w/ Peas)and a Simple Salad, Half with Creamy Ranch (Hers)

Just love meatballs, and especially in Brown Gravy!

What a great meal Luckytrim...Nice pics!

Nancy-MD

Everyone's dinners sounds great.

The meatballs in gravy looks so good! I would love to have some!

Feel better, Peep. I finally got rid of my sore throat and sneezes. Now I'm coughing. At least I can still taste.

I made hamburger gravy over noodles with a salad.

Attachments

• 11.11.11.jpg
    11.11.11.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 103

Embryodad

It was a nice day for eating and cooking!

DW made a awesome Beef barley Soup..

229f541c.jpg

DD was over, and she was feeding one of her doe's apples and bread.

3ae1f32c.jpg

I just fried up some meatballs...They were nibblers, and of the 12..there are 5 left. Ha Ha ha

146b7118.jpg

I've got hot sausage frying for a meal tomorrow. I will add some peppers, and potatoes..and see what happens.

b0d4307f.jpg

The ultimate make of the day..... DD went out to walmart and picked up a Christmas Tree for the kitties.
DD loves the Christmas season, and decorating.
I say it's TOO EARLY!... But...that's my baby.

4a2a9664.jpg

Embryodad

Feel better, Peep. I finally got rid of my sore throat and sneezes. Now I'm coughing. At least I can still taste.

OOooo!!!... So great looking Nancy! Wow!

We have to get Tina Baby to make that for Meee!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Thank you Nan.

Your dinner looks very good!!

Jimmy I WANT some of everything. :thumb:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
there wasn't a 'dinner' per say; i noshed on candy & a few granola bars & that w/ 2 gingerales. oh, & 2 'lil rosemary croccantini, a few litely salted chips & unsalted pretzels, after buying food this evening & while ridding my 'kitch of foods due 2 expire b-4 dec/january, i was hungry yet too tired for cooking. they gave us 'lil sample plates of turkey, carrot souffle, & stuffing @ the iggle, too.
ah, organization & a plethora of food to choose from- think i'll prep some ingredients later on-

luv the pix & dinners, yinz took/made.
jimmy that beef-barley soup looks so deeee-licious!
btw, lol, i began decorating for Christmas a few days ago, hehe

Attachments

• IMG_0742197.jpg
    IMG_0742197.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

GotGarlic

We had a potluck lunch/baby shower for a co-worker yesterday, so I brought home leftovers and we snacked on those. Tea sandwiches with chicken, tuna or ham salad; meatballs with sauce; and Mexican seven-layer dip with chips.

I make something similar to this frequently - it's one of our go-to faves. I make ground-turkey meatballs that I bake in the oven & then simmer in jarred "turkey gravy" with the jar rinsed out with a little dry sherry. Then when I cook the egg noodles, I add in a couple of handfuls of fresh broccoli florets just a couple of minutes before the noodles are done. With a nice green salad on the side, delicious!

In fact, I just happen to have some ground chicken & some fresh farmers market broccoli in the fridge, & egg noodles in the pantry. May just have to pick up some gravy & have this for dinner some time this week.:smile: