Streaming Netflix to my TV

Guts

I want to Stream Netflix to my TV and I know nothing about wireless routers. I called Netflix and was told 1.5 mbps was the minimum, 3 mbps was better and 5 mbps would give me a HD type picture. Do any of you do this and what router should I get? Help!
Are they hard to set up?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin and Adillo are the guys you need to hear from but here is my experience: Get an N router to ensure enough download speed. You'd be surprised at the difference. At my summer place a year ago I was using a rental from Charter Communications (cable company) and the download speed was a pathetic 1.5 Mbps. This past summer they bragged that they had increased speed from 8 to 10. I bought my own router and would get as much as 20. Here in Florida I use an older Motorola and get 3-4 Mbps and it works well enough for NetFlix HD downloads.

I don't know zip about networking but have been able to set up at least a half dozen wireless routers for myself and friends using nothing more than the setup discs. It's much easier today than it was a few years ago.

Once connected, check your speed here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz is right on. I like Linksys routers. They've always done a good job for me. And like Buzz said, go with the Linksys "N" (probably all they have available nowdays anyway). Radio Shack carries them or if you want to shop online go to NewEgg.com or TigerDirect.com

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Thanks for that link, Buzz. I've wondered if my FIOS is all it claims to be. I just ran it and got 18.1 download, 4.5 upload. This is with the wireless router that Verizon provided with my service.

Guts, who is your service provider? They may be able to provide you with a wireless router, without you having to purchase one.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for that link, Buzz. I've wondered if my FIOS is all it claims to be. I just ran it and got 18.1 download, 4.5 upload. This is with the wireless router that Verizon provided with my service.

Guts, who is your service provider? They may be able to provide you with a wireless router, without you having to purchase one.

18 megs is excellent for a home user. Most of the folks at avsforum (where I spend a lot of time) are very happy with FIOS.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Linksy's here too. I have the netflex streamline - not a big selection is my issue.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Linksy's here too. I have the netflex streamline - not a big selection is my issue.
Really? I thought they had over 17,000 titles you could download. Are you mainly speaking of the recent titles available or availability overall?

I don't have netflix now, and i dropped HBO and Showtime ...but I was thinking I'd get netflix for the winter months ...as long as they have a decent selection to choose from.

K

Kimchee

Hmmm maybe I should upgrade my 8 year old wireless router?

Guts

I ordered these two things from "Cisco Home Products Store" after getting the conformation order in email they charged more than they told me and would not make it on one order. Very disappointed !! I had to call back to correct the mistakes on two orders and was told I could not do this at this time they would call me back. I was told the Wireless-N Bridge was new , when I got the conformation by e mail it was "Refurbished" The products seem to be what I want but I not sure if I want to deal with these people or there product. I called the card co and put a dispute on record.

Linksys E3000 High Performance Wireless-N Router

Linksys WET610N-RM Wireless-N Bridge

Guts

What do you need a bridge for? On what device are you going to receive NetFlix?

Linksys E3000 High Performance Wireless-N Router / to make it wireless and this to the TV Linksys WET610N-RM Wireless-N Bridge. That is what I was told?

That is why I'm asking here, I have no clue how this works. I will take all the help I can get on this. I'm going back to the store and ask some more questions now, I will check back when I get home. thanks for all the reply's!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Linksys E3000 High Performance Wireless-N Router / to make it wireless and this to the TV Linksys WET610N-RM Wireless-N Bridge. That is what I was told?

That is why I'm asking here, I have no clue how this works. I will take all the help I can get on this. I'm going back to the store and ask some more questions now, I will check back when I get home. thanks for all the reply's!

Does your TV have applications? Some do. If not, I know the two best choices:

1) Sony PS3 - has internal WiFi and NetFlix app
2) Roku box - same as above.

One of these two plus a wireless router is all you need. No bridge required.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Another option would be to get a Blu-Ray player with wireless. Mine is a Panasonic DMP-BDT350. It includes a NetFlix app and comes with a wireless dongle.

belaine

Bottle Washer
Super Site Supporter
Really? I thought they had over 17,000 titles you could download. Are you mainly speaking of the recent titles available or availability overall?

I don't have netflix now, and i dropped HBO and Showtime ...but I was thinking I'd get netflix for the winter months ...as long as they have a decent selection to choose from.

Over all selection is not as large, or else I just have not taken the time to really look. I'm also a Time Warner customer and I have a lot of interruptions with the stream lining. We live in an area where service is spotty.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
NetFlix streaming is worth it for South Park, Dexter, and Weeds, not to mention movies. I find my subscription to be of great value.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
His DVD player and TV are both Sharp Aquos units, and both are net-enabled and can stream Netflix.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16158

The 920 series of that TV actually came with a Wi-Fi Dongle which would eliminate the need for a wireless Ethernet bridge. But, if his TV didn’t come with that Dongle, then he’ll need the bridge…..either that or a long Cat-5 cable….which he could get at monoprice on the cheap! :biggrin:

Your selection of a -N router is good. It has the wireless bandwidth you’ll need. But, had you had Roku, I would have said to go with a Belkin wireless -G router. Slower Wi-Fi BW, BUT, Roku has a 3-5 minute AV buffer. Once loaded, it will play non-stop even if the router is shut off. I can kill my router for up to 5 minutes and still get uninterrupted picture.

Not sure if other devices are doing that as I haven’t tried them. If there is a load time when selecting a Netflix movie, then yes, there is an AV buffer, and you would be just fine with a -G $20 Belkin router.

As for Netflix selection, it is STAGGERING! TV, Movies, Cartoons for the kids, Classics, Foreign, and on and on and on. I’ve got over 180 entries in my Streaming Queue right now. It would take a year or more to go through what I’ve got queued right now, and Netflix is adding all the time making it a moving target. Granted, the streaming movies aren’t latest releases and are at least 6-12 months old, but if I want new releases right now, I go to Red Box.

Last edited:

Guts

Ok got back from the store. I ran into a old friend there who is a electrician. he set me up with what I needed to get. He said I should get the AirPort Extreme 802.11 and hard wire it to the TV, going to MonoPrice.com next to get the Ethernet line next after I figure out how long it needs to be.
I would like to thank all of you with your input and help. Will keep you informed how it works in 3-4 days.

Kim

The WiFi :spacecraft:

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
His DVD player and TV are both Sharp Aquos units, and both are net-enabled and can stream Netflix.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16158

The 920 series of that TV actually came with a Wi-Fi Dongle which would eliminate the need for a wireless Ethernet bridge. But, if his TV didn’t come with that Dongle, then he’ll need the bridge…..either that or a long Cat-5 cable….which he could get at monoprice on the cheap! :biggrin:

Your selection of a -N router is good. It has the wireless bandwidth you’ll need. But, had you had Roku, I would have said to go with a Belkin wireless -G router. Slower Wi-Fi BW, BUT, Roku has a 3-5 minute AV buffer. Once loaded, it will play non-stop even if the router is shut off. I can kill my router for up to 5 minutes and still get uninterrupted picture.

Not sure if other devices are doing that as I haven’t tried them. If there is a load time when selecting a Netflix movie, then yes, there is an AV buffer, and you would be just fine with a -G $20 Belkin router.

As for Netflix selection, it is STAGGERING! TV, Movies, Cartoons for the kids, Classics, Foreign, and on and on and on. I’ve got over 180 entries in my Streaming Queue right now. It would take a year or more to go through what I’ve got queued right now, and Netflix is adding all the time making it a moving target. Granted, the streaming movies aren’t latest releases and are at least 6-12 months old, but if I want new releases right now, I go to Red Box.

Yep, see bold and in red above! :biggrin:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yes that is what I did got a 50 foot for $ 4.57 and a 5 foot one for $0.86

The AirPort Extreme is a heavy little thing just under 3 pounds.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...id=1020812&p_id=145&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

You’re good to go then. Technically, a Router is a Layer 3 device and routes on IP. You don’t HAVE to use the setup disc, but it does help if you want to manage security via your PC, which is advisable.

Technically, as a Layer 3 device, just turn it on and plug things in. It will automatically DHCP out to your clients, route your data, and run. Straight out the box, it will go. If you want to encrypt and protect your Wi-Fi (advisable) then use the install disk. If you plan to get complicated and update the Firmware of the router or implement MAC Masquerade or something else, then definitely use the disc.

But, for plug and go, those Layer 3 devices are designed to power on, learn, and run.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds like you are good to go Kim. Keep us posted once all the stuff comes in and you are actually up and running.

Over all selection is not as large, or else I just have not taken the time to really look. I'm also a Time Warner customer and I have a lot of interruptions with the stream lining. We live in an area where service is spotty.

Sure sounds like you could benefit from the Ruku device Keltin was talking about, since it buffers 5 minutes of whatever you are streaming. I have Time Warner also and am in the sticks of South Eastern Ohio and I get pretty good service. You might try the speed test Buzz posted earlier in this thread and if the speed is lower than what Time Warner is supposed to be supplying do a little complaining. Time Warner did not want to run my high speed internet cable. I got the run around for over a year because they were going to have to string a line 200 ft from a neighboring telephone pole. I finally contacted PUCO (Public Utilities Commission of Ohio) complaining. Once I complained I had service within two weeks. Amazing what the right placed complaint can do. :D

Guts

Re: Streaming Netflix to my TV (Report)

Here is my report on streaming Netflix
I ran the cat 5 line from my office to the front room thru the attic (long story not going talk about it) after a call to Apple, I was up and running. Wired this way; modem to the in side of the Airport Extreme. Then one line out to the desk top PC.. And one line to the TV... Sounds good so far hu. Next step was to sign up for Netflix, that went ok. Then I started to pick and add my "Add to instant Queue" (streaming movies) At this point I had to see how it worked? It worked fine, with one hiccup. When the cat 5 line runs to the TV it will bypass the home theater and play sound from the TV speakers. Next thing was to call Sharp for help. The Tec told me if I would run the cat 5 to the Blue Ray player it would run thru the player to the home theater. Ok that was easy move the cat 5 line to Blue Ray player. Well not so fast, now the line I had to the TV was not recognized by the Airport Extreme. So I had to go back and reset the Airport Extreme to recognize the Blue Ray player. With that done; I can watch streaming Netflix movies with the sound from the home theater. They loaded Fast and looked great! sound clear very Happy Camper! One thing I lost was the ability to have the on line feature when I had the cat 5 line to the TV but this doesn't bother me. No streaming fox news any way, only MSNBC.

Using the Airport Extreme my PC seems to run faster. I'm not sure why but it is working faster than it ever has before. All and All very happy with streaming Netflix and the Airport Extreme. Thank all of you for the support. One more thing I signed up for the $9.99 plan on Netflix All the streaming movies that I can watch, and one mail rental at a time. The reason is not all movies are on instant streaming, so I can get them one at a time thru the mail.
Kim

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Awesome job! My TV (and most HD TVs these days) has Audio Out monitor jacks. I run those to my surround sound amplifier. Now, any signal that comes to the TV pushes it's audio to the amplifier. This means Roku, DVD, over the air, cable, etc, all come through the sound system (I turned the TV speakers down to 0 so no sound from them). Makes things a lot easier. I can switch to any video device and don't have to change the amplifier selection to get the sound going. You might want to check to see of your TV can do that.

Guts

I will check back with the sharp technician, I thought there should be a way to do that. I think it might have something to do with the HDMI feeding the TV from the home theater. Keltin I will up date what I find out. thanks for the reply!
Kim