The weather

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We have had the worst snow in Basingstoke for a good many years. It's only a few inches but the town has virtually stopped - we are not used o it. All the schools are closed and we had 4 children at pre school this morning. The trains are severely delayed and the buses only covering urban networks. The bins have not been collected.

I'm sure that some of you who live a lot more north will be snorting. But we have to cope with what we got, and as said below, it is not worth preparing for a rare heavy snowfall.

Last edited:

Mith

I'm a few miles south of you, about 6-8" on the ground.
The roads are still pretty poor, but for the 2/3 days a year when it snows I dont see the point in buying lots of fancy gear so the country doesnt stop working, we all deserve a day off every now and again.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
After I moved down here 11 years ago I would watch the Weather Channel and feel guilty. That lasted a whole week. Nuk nuk.

Oh well, off to the golf course.

smoke king

Banned
Ray, when your not ready for it, it may as well be a couple of feet!!

We get a good amount of snow every year, but it never ceases to amaze me that the first snow of the season, regardless of the amount, throws our town into a panic! People forget how to drive in it, stores run out of shovels, rock salt, sno-blowers, etc. You'd think we were in Florida instead of the heart of "flyover" country!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It is cold and windy here. The wind is the worst part. But I'm down south, and it's 26 here....so that is COLD to me. Up north, cold is a whole different word from what I'm used to!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
84F??? Grrrrr...... Its 12F here! :snow: Major snow storm for Northern Indiana. Im not getting anything because Im in Northern Illinois.

Howdy Keltin & Babe! :wave:

And 26F is still awfully cold.

suziquzie

On Saturday it was sunny and 45!!! After a month straight of nothing above 20 something.... BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Today, I woke up to -5F. That is just plain freaking wrong.
I've always felt I should've emancipated myself from my parents when they dragged me here.....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is 12F in Lexington right now and the high tomorrow is expected to make 16F. It has also been snowing here since about 8 AM non stop.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is probably mis named Buzz perhaps global climate change might be more accurate.

PanchoHambre

been ridiculous here... sunny and warm one day today snowstorm.... I feel pretty bad for my contractor/friend who is building my new fence... he got my last red cent though

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
84F??? Grrrrr...... Its 12F here! :snow: Major snow storm for Northern Indiana. Im not getting anything because Im in Northern Illinois.

Howdy Keltin & Babe! :wave:

And 26F is still awfully cold.

Yea, mine says 13F now expected to get down to 5F tonight... brrrrrrrrr!!!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Dude.... I swear....:glare:

Hmmm..... I wonder... can ya FedEx snow??:whistling:

Maybe, but I saw enough of it at Christmas time at my Wisconsin place. Every year I ask myself "why?"

Taken outside my place in Wausau the morning I left to catch a plane in Madison....

AUW_.jpg

Wart

Banned
Chalk it off to the global warming myth.

You really can't take a local snapshot and apply it to an entire system.

To your snap shot of localized weather you would have to add how, in the end of December and beginning of January, parts of Alaska had 30 degrees above normal temps.

And that's a whole lot of cold being spread around by a system being excited to an above average state of energy.

You should add snapshots of other areas, like the ice in the north east states that had it been it's typically colder weather the ice storms would have been nothing more than a notable snow storm, or the north west that got rain in stead of snow like they usually got, or how it's being reported how the south west is having an above normal temp winter ... string them together and you get a movie, can't just focus on one snapshot.

Seems to me Wausau is calling for above normal temps in the next couple of days, at least according to NOAA . 36 to 38 degrees isn't what one would expect in Wisconsin in the middle of winter.

I guess we could look at THAT snapshot and say it's PROOF of global warming.

?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
So who knows? Answer: nobody. Different studies yield different conclusions. Maybe the subjective opinions of peons like myself depend on to whom we listen, Limbaugh or Gore. Think about it. :smile: