Need to buy small gift for new couple

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
A Coworker's son got engaged and although I won't be attending the wedding, I want to get a small gift for the new couple.

I have a big kitchen and like gadgets, but most of the items i love are not practical for a young couple -

rice steamer - i can't make good rice but many people can, in a pot on the stove

coffee machine - maybe they like it, maybe not. and some ppl are coffee snobs

can opener - i like an electric but not everone wants to use up counter space for it

immersion blender - limited use

small chopper or hand blender - maybe they want to buy a full sized one and won't need a smaller one

With a budget of $15-20, what do you all recommend ? I usually get a cookbook or Tupperware, but it's not that exciting of a gift. I may stick with it; it's tried and true !

chowhound

Give the gift of love... money.
They may not stash it in the back of a cupboard for 50 years, but I'm sure they will put it to good immediate use.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I agree with BS on this, then pick something from the listing.

Deelady

How about making a small gift basket with odds and ends....like if you know they like going for Italian food , Italian themed: pasta, sauces, herbs ect.

homecook

I like Dee's idea with the gift basket.
I've also been known to put together a gift basket with baking items. Cake pans, cookie sheets, measuring cups/spoons, bread pans, etc. It's something you don't think you'll need right away but want them and don't have them.

And like Fred said............money. LOL

smoke king

Banned
I was kicking around the Le Crueset Store in KC and came upon what I thought were the nicest measuring spoons I'd ever seen. They're narrow and elongated so that they fit into most spice jars, and super heavy duty-the "heft" is obvious when you pick them up.

The problem is that at 15$, they are expensive for measuring spoons, and at the same time your forever known as the one who "only" gave them a set of measuring spoons for a wedding gift-but if he/she/they cook at all, they will appreciate them immediately.

I bought a set, and now all the others have been retired.

Last edited:

High Cheese

Saucier
I llike Deelady's idea too. A basket of ingredients from a specialty shop, maybe it could make a complete dinner.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Buy them a crockpot, open it, then re-wrap it.
Insert personal recipes on pretty cards inside, then give them a gift card for a nice restaurant.
They won't be thinking much about flashy home appliances at first, and your simple gift will warm their hearts.