Roast Sticky Chicken

homecook

This recipe has been all over the internet for years. It is really good. I even use this rub when I do a beer-can chicken on the grill.

4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 cup chopped onion

Combine all the spices. Rub mixture inside and out of the chicken. Place in plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to roast, stuff cavity with onions and place in shallow baking pan. Roast, uncovered at 250 for 5 hours. After first hour baste occasionally (at least every hour). Let rest 15 minutes before carving.

This can also be made in the crockpot. Do not add any liquid, as the cooking process goes on it will produce its own juices. Cook on low 8-10 hours and it will be falling off the bone tender.

Barb

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Hmmm sounds good! We do a lot of roaster chickens during the winter as they can often be found cheap, so it's good to have a lot of different ways to make it!
Thanks for posting!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
250 for 5 hours seems a very long time, which scale are you on?

I like the idea, will have to try it.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We just picked up a roaster chicken, but I may have to take some, er, shortcuts as it has to be cooked tonight...

homecook

250 for 5 hours seems a very long time, which scale are you on?

I like the idea, will have to try it.

I don't understand what you mean by scale? 5 hours is a long time but it is at 250 degrees which is a low temp. It really works and tastes good!!

Barb

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I made this tonight, but since we just picked up the chicken we had to skip a couple of steps and rush it. First I put all the seasonings and chicken in a bag and shook it up to coat well.
Then I stuffed it with onions and garlic. Put it in the oven at 350F for 1 hour 45 minutes on a rack sitting on a pan. Under the rack, and in the pan, I put cubed potatoes with the same seasoning on em.
Turned out great! Real juicy, great crusty coating, and the potatoes were just right!