Dutch Ovens camp styl

RNE228

Any one else use these?

I had never used one, even after all the tons and tons of camping when I was growing up. Finally found out about them when my kid got in to Boy Scouts. We use them all the time on Scout campout.

Since joining Scouts and using them, we have two for home and personal campouts. One is a a 12", the other is a 10". Works perfect for the three of us. We use them every time we camp, and frequently at home.

At campouts, we'll use coals from the campfire. If there are fire restrictions, or we are at home, we use Kingsford briquettes. They have the best heat and burn time.

I like Lodge DO's. I also frequently reference Papa Dutch's DO site.
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds interesting for sure. I've never used one but toyed with the idea.
Do you have a couple of your favorite recipes to share?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I didn't think about it but RNE228 mentioned the chicken crock recipe I posted would be great in a dutch oven.

Baked potatoes and biscuits work too! (not at the same time)

RNE228

Sounds interesting for sure. I've never used one but toyed with the idea.
Do you have a couple of your favorite recipes to share?

We make up recipes, or use recipes that have worked well in a crock pot. Two of my favorites are from the Papa Dutch site I posted; the Blackberry cobbler and "Best Ever" corn bread are really really good.

The
Italian Sausages With Peppers And Onionsrecipe is really good too. And, simple simple simple:D

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I have tried it ages ago and it was some of the best food I have had from what I can remember. I would love to have the chance to try it again but I live on the 4th floor in a apartment building. :)

BigAl

You ever watch that cowboy guy who cooks on TV . Its called Campfire Cafe ????? or something like that . Man those meals he serves up in a Dutch oven are impressive !

RNE228

You ever watch that cowboy guy who cooks on TV . Its called Campfire Cafe ????? or something like that . Man those meals he serves up in a Dutch oven are impressive !

I have not seen it; we do not have cable or dish. I have one of his cookbooks though. Have tried a couple tasty recipes:thumb: