What is this red spice ?

kdiver58

I had lamb with mint sauce. There was really very little mint just a hint, There was also rosemary, honey and a soft red spice .. I have no idea what is was. I loved this sauce and want to try it on other meats.
I enjoyed it so much I went back and had it 2 days later. Here it is mixed with pasta..

Attachments

• CIMG0192.jpg
    CIMG0192.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 374

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
looks to be chile flakes. could have thai curry, too, & i see grainy mustard, & an oil, also. thinkin' parsley/chive (stems). snipped.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, I'm assuming that you must have bought the sauce since you don't know what's in it. Have you looked at the label on the package? It would be almost impossible for any of us to know just by looking at a picture without being able to taste it.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I agree with luvs that it appears to have grainy mustard. I also see what appears to be lemon zest. Sorry, no clue about the soft red spice.

kdiver58

I had the Lamb at a Las Vegas restaurant .. No heat in the sauce at all. It was sweet with a herb background.
No chance it was mustard

Well it was worth a try ... Thanks... K

Ian M.

Just a thought but it may be sweet paprika. Though I've never heard of using paprika in a lamb dish..............innovation?

Ian

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
It may be red bell pepper flakes. I have used them for color. No spiceness. Too course for paprika.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Annato seed, it would have to be ground to meet that texture, and it's notorious for dying everything red. It is oil soluble, and would make the infused oil have a pinkish hue to it, which I don't see. It's used largely in Latin cuisine, for color(not too much in the way of flavor), and it is STRONG. I have a few coats that are nicely stained due to it.

Annato, in oil:

Atsuete-Oil.jpg