Tony Luke’s Roast Pork, Greens and Provolone Sandwich (Tony Luke's)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Tony Luke's is a sandwich place in Philadelphia, where their roasted pork sandwiches give the famed Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches some competition.

A beloved foodie friend of mine sent me a verbatim recipe and technique for making these sandwiches, and we picked a day to cook at the same time (he lives in Arizona, but we often cook "together").

You can look up short-cut recipes for this sandwich, using pork shoulder and a crockpot, or you can PM me for the whole recipe (I don't know the source of the info to cite, and don't want to violate copyrights).

This is the executive summary: We seasoned and roasted pork loins, cooked up and flavored some broccoli rabe, made some au jus with garlic and cherry peppers, got some crusty sub rolls and provolone cheese and assembled some of the BEST sandwiches in the world!

Lee
Tony Luke's Philly pork sandwich.JPG

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Lou and I are more than avid fans of Tony Lukes on Oregon Ave in Philly. No trip to philly is complete without coming away with a "Roast Pork Italian", which is what it's officially called.

It's a combination of the roasting, the spices of the au jus, the broccoli rabe and the provolone.

I'm dying here.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
This was my version, several months ago

weekenddinner105.jpg

weekenddinner106.jpg

weekenddinner108.jpg

Can you hear my stomach growling?????

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'd post a pix of "my version" but the camera shutter speed only goes to 1/3000 of a second and it doesn't exist (un-eaten) that long . . . .

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Holy schmikeys, Vera! Now I'M dying here!

LOL, Chowder!

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Dee, I remember an episode of the Little Rascals where Stymie wished on a lamp for a watermelon , and down the block, a fruit vendor's stand broke, and a watermelon rolled right up to Stymie's feet. He was so happy that his wish came true that he tried again, only this time wishing his younger brother was a monkey!!!

Give it a shot, it cannot hurt to wish. :wave::wave:

The supermarket around here actually carries frozen Tony Luke's products. I say it's a sacrilege, but some folks may never get to taste it, otherwise. Maybe you can order a box??