Anyone make English Muffins???

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Had a taste for them so I made a batch using tuna cans. They turned out OK, but will need some tweaking to get bigger "nooks & crannies" which define English Muffins to me. Plus, I need to get the proper rings to make them in. I looked for them last night at Bed Bath & Beyond and Target, but nada.

EnglishMuffin062509.jpg

After some research I came upon a blog that talked about the best English Muffins, and she was using Alton Brown's recipe (modified), so I gave it a shot.

This is my entry point on yet another slippery slope. The flavor is delicious, but the appearance needs some work. Look for more in this spot once I get the rings.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
really great Joe. I have wanted to do this for a while. I have "Egg Rings". I put them on the griddle (greased) and put the eggs in them to get the right shape for my Egg McMuffins at home.

DW is fond of that for weekend B'Fast. I'm not so I bought a package of Canadiam Bacon, repacked it with wax paper between the slices and froze it in a handi vac bag. now I get one piece of meat without defrosting the rest. Anyway, my rings are individual, but will this help?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Nonstick-4-Piece-Egg-Pancake-Ring/dp/B00005EBGU[/ame]

http://www.centralchef.com/storefro...aspx?sfid=123094&i=244257958&mpid=7714&dfid=1

Andy

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
You have to be able to flip the rings over. They look [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-English-Muffin-Rings-Set/dp/B0001VQIHW"]like this[/ame]. I would like to find them locally so I don't have to pay the shipping. I can get them for $5, but the postage is also $5. LOL

homecook

Have you tried Bauer's yet??

So these are fried on a skillet, not baked? I may have to give these a try. I love English muffins.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I have made bialys which is a Jewish version. I didn't need muffin rings.
Do the bialys have lots of big nooks & crannies like English muffins, or are they more dense like a bagle? I like the open crumb, and Alton'r recipe is more of a batter than a dough, therefore you need the rings to contain the batter.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You can also cut the ends off of tuna cans (if they aren't the new style ones) and that works just fine. But you should wash them first - I found that out.

I'm an idiot - JoeV mentions this in his original post! Nevermind.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
We call them crumpets). Just wait for comments from Biskit, Texas gal et al.

I made some years ago and the recipe made a batter. You did not need to flip them over. Put them on the griddle lowish and wait for the batter to set and the bubbles to come through leaving all those little holes.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
We call them crumpets). Just wait for comments from Biskit, Texas gal et al.

I made some years ago and the recipe made a batter. You did not need to flip them over. Put them on the griddle lowish and wait for the batter to set and the bubbles to come through leaving all those little holes.

our crumpets(yes we have some of the same foods..lol) are a little different MM, english muffins are dryer, usually have a bit of cornmeal on the top of them, at least around here anyways

crumpets are way better IMHO..lol

Buttered_crumpet2.jpg

english muffins

English+Muffins+top+copy.jpg

now i know you are in UK but there is a difference:yum:.. not trying to sound like a smarta$$

Constance

We had a friend come to visit last week, and she brought her homemade English muffins. They were very good, but tasted more like some sort of biscuit to me.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Ok bam!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're making me hungry with that buttered english muffin :):)

that buttered thingy is a Crumpet..lol

generally a crumpet is not split like an english muffin, is more doughy and light in texture when you bite into it. my preferred way to eat them is lightly toasted,fresh butter,fresh raspberry jelly or chokecherry jelly

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
joe ... you are a God ...
a bread bringing God ..
damn i wish i could bake ...
I am not a god, just a guy who like to cook and bake. Do you have some infirmary that prevents you from baking, or did you have a failure or two and start telling yourself that you could not do it? I find with most people it's the latter, and I feel badly for the former. If you tell yourself something often enough, you will certainly come to believe it...good and bad. I never bought into the "I can't" philosophy, I just determined that I was going to do this, and then went about learning HOW to do it.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
BT, bagels are not made like bialys. Bialys have more in common with english muffins--I can pm the recipe but I cannot post it here. I haven't rewritten the directions.
Best, PieSusan

buckytom

Grill Master
oh, yes susan, i've had both many times. though i've never thought about the way that they're made.
i mistyped in my post and can't seem to edit it. i meant to say that bialys are half way between a bagel and an english muffin. maybe a bit closer to the muffin end of the spectrum.

i would imagine that bialys aren't boiled first like bagels.

Love2"Q"

I am not a god, just a guy who like to cook and bake. Do you have some infirmary that prevents you from baking, or did you have a failure or two and start telling yourself that you could not do it? I find with most people it's the latter, and I feel badly for the former. If you tell yourself something often enough, you will certainly come to believe it...good and bad. I never bought into the "I can't" philosophy, I just determined that I was going to do this, and then went about learning HOW to do it.

i dont have an oven ...

Love2"Q"

i dont have a toaster oven ...
most of our meals are cooked outside ..
but me and my son love bread .. looooove it ...
so i need to start making some of my own bread ..

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
i dont have a toaster oven ...
most of our meals are cooked outside ..
but me and my son love bread .. looooove it ...
so i need to start making some of my own bread ..
If you've never made bread before, try the No-Knead bread for your first loaf. It's so easy and so delicious that you will want to do it again and again and again and again....:dizzy:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
If you've never made bread before, try the No-Knead bread for your first loaf. It's so easy and so delicious that you will want to do it again and again and again and again....:dizzy:

I'm no baker, but I'm gonna try this. You make it sound so easy......we'll see and wish me luck! :lol: