Buying a kitchen scale

vyapti

I want to get a scale, mostly for making bread, and I'm wondering what features I should be considering. The only things I know for sure is that I want something big enough to support a KA bowl and somthing that will reset after each ingredient. I know there are other differences and quite a range in prices. Any insight would be great.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Salter-Housewares-Aquatronic-Baker-92s-283007BDWHLDR-29/dp/B000JNXRNA"]this one[/ame], however, it seems to be discontinued.

The features I like are:

:heart:11 pound capacity (many of them are only 4-6 pounds.

:heart:Switches between liquid ozs/dry ozs, grams/pounds, ml/oz measures after each ingredient if desired. So I can put the bowl on, tare it, weigh 450 grams of flour, tare, then weigh 8 fluid ounces of water.

:heart:I can weigh directly on the platform or in a bowl.

The features I don't like are:

:sad:The platform is not removable for washing.

:sad: The crevice between the platform and the readout is difficult to clean.

Hope this helps you in considering features.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
pretty simple really - you've identified the most important feature - the "tare" function.

regardless of what is on the scale (subject to range) push a button and the object on the scale goes to weight: 0

very convenient for adding ingredients without a lot of head math.

three types of scales - balance, spring, digital
balance is like the doctor's office - move (counter)weights until the balance point is reached.
given decent construction, most accurate of the bunch. convenient? no. size, big.

spring scales:
don't go there. accuracy, linearity, repeatability - all major issues.

digital scales:
only kitchen way to fly, imho.
digital designs separate themselves into three major classes:
3000dd, 5000dd, 10000dd
you asked? okay, what that means is for the total _range_ the scale will measure and display 1/3000 or 1/5000 or 1/10000 of the weight.

for usual and customary home bread stuff, you need a scale that will handle up to 11 pounds / 5 kilograms. keep in mind, the "range" of the scale must include the weigh of the bowl + the weight of the stuff inside.

such scales are available in many mass marketers (ie K-Mart) or specialty stores (ie Bed Bath & Beyond) and virtually anywhere on the web.

so what's with the dd nonsense? the XXXXdd spec, sometimes just shown as a singled - XXXXd - is the number of divisions of maximum weight/capacity the scale will display. so a 5 kilogram = 5000 gram = 5000dd / 5000d scale can realistically show a resolution of one gram (5000 total weigh / 5000dd = 1)

forget about "absolute accuracy" - whatever scale you have is likely to be very consistent and whether it shows an absolute known quantity of 4000 grams as 3999 grams or 4001 grams is like . . . way past important.

no name, made in China, $4 models will display one gram but only measure to 3000dd.
legal trade scales typically run in the 10000dd range. if they are "certified" for legal trade, costs more.

nice info, but you're unlikely to see those kind of specifications on a package. check the manufacturer web site and model specifics.

you'll find entirely useful and satisfactory digital kitchen scales from $20 to $50 - the stainless steel body + cute glass platform costs more; the "it's all plastic' runs to the lower end.

FooD

I have the KD-8000 scale and I use the bakers' percentage function on it every time. Nice scale.

vyapti

digital scales:
only kitchen way to fly, imho.
digital designs separate themselves into three major classes:
3000dd, 5000dd, 10000dd
you asked? okay, what that means is for the total _range_ the scale will measure and display 1/3000 or 1/5000 or 1/10000 of the weight.
. . .
so what's with the dd nonsense? the XXXXdd spec, sometimes just shown as a singled - XXXXd - is the number of divisions of maximum weight/capacity the scale will display. so a 5 kilogram = 5000 gram = 5000dd / 5000d scale can realistically show a resolution of one gram (5000 total weigh / 5000dd = 1)
I'm confused. Does this mean that a 5000dd and a 3000dd will both weight to the nearest gram, but a 5000dd capacity will have a max capacity of 5000g and the 3000dd will have a max capacity of 3000g? Is the max capacity the only difference?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Matt,

Unless you look into commercial/professional grade scales, you probably won't even see dd numbers listed. Rather, what you'll see is a description such as, "weighs to the nearest 1/4 ounce" or "measure in 1/8 ounce increments", or "precise to the nearest gram".

For some reason I don't understand, 11 pound (5 kg) seems to be a ceiling in home scales. I haven't seen anything larger without moving into professional equipment and $$$.

A combination of 11 pound capacity and 1 gram or 1/8 ounce precision is excellent for a home scale. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-1130800-Grips-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA?SubscriptionId=0K76CZ6RCX2Y05HSNPR2&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B000WJMTNA&tag=spp-analysis-20"]Here's one example[/ame] that is highly rated by America's Test Kitchen that meets those expectations, and is less than $40. You'll see that the description is written in English, not dd numbers, so that consumers understand it. It means basically the same thing.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>Does this mean that a 5000dd and a 3000dd will both weight to the nearest gram

don't confuse "display" with "accuracy" - a 3000dd scale with max capacity of 3kg can and hopefully will have an accuracy of 1 gram and should display to an accuracy of +/- one gram

a 5kg capacity scale with electronics for 3000d can only measure 5000 grams within the context of measuring zero to 3000 units. you'll likely not find a decent scale that takes such tactics, but a no-name "Made in China" special is a good place to start looking.

I do take exception to the idea that the marketeers' puff&fluff nonsense like "displays to the nearest one gram" can be construed as accuracy. when have you ever known the marketing department to stretch the truth?.... something like "Quality is Job 1" comes to mind.

check out the specs - all the common scale manufacturers have them on line.

the 3k/5k/10k dd is an industrial standard - which explains why there's "small capacity scales" and then the jump to 5kg. when you see a capacity more than a couple hundred grams and less than 5000 grams, that should stand the hairs on your neck straight up - needs looking into.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

vyapti

Thanks, everyone. Got one. It's small & simple, and not many grooves to get dirty, 5kg capacity. I don't know why I waited so long.
FWIW, I do not put my mixer bowl on the scale. I use other plastic bowls to mix dry and wet ingredients in, then pour them into the mixer bowl. Just my method.
I have a specific bowl that I HAVE to use when mixing ingredients. It's got mushrooms painted around the outside and the kids know never to touch my mushroom bowl.

vyapti

I almost made Anadama Bread this weekend, but ran out of time. That would me my best guess for the scale's christening. I'm also excited to start using it for rolls, & tempeh burgers & fake sausage. My eye-ball doesn't know how to divide evenly =D

Guts

vyapti Once you start using the scale I don't think you will go back to cups and spoons. It's so much faster and cleaner to use a scale. Please keep us posted on your rolls and breads.