Beef Stew with Mushrooms & Marsala Wine -- TNT

FryBoy

My wife is an invalid at the moment, having had extensive foot surgery a little over a week ago. Nonetheless, we made it to the supermarket yesterday (she has a knee scooter to get around), but just winged it rather than selecting recipes in advance.

We picked up some stew beef and the veggies that generally are included in stews. When we got home, I looked at what we had on hand, pulled up a couple of favorite recipes for guidance, and came up with this concoction -- which was so good that I wished we had a vomitorium so that I could have eaten more!

Don't let the number of directions scare you off -- I write recipes with explicit step-by-step instructions for my cuisine-challenged daughter (a brilliant attorney who is still finding her way in the kitchen).

Printable version attached.

Beef Stew with Mushrooms & Marsala

2½ pounds lean stewing beef (round or chuck), cut in 1-inch cubes
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon finely ground fresh black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
3 celery stalks, sliced into ½-inch pieces
½ pound small mushrooms, cut into halves or quarters
½ teaspoon dried thyme
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons brown sugar
¼ cup Marsala Wine or Dry Sherry
1 4½-ounce can beef broth
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
water
1 pound small red potatoes (or more if desired), cut into quarters
1 cup frozen peas, rinsed
2 tablespoons minced parsley

1. Rinse meat and pat dry.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large Dutch Oven over medium-high heat.

3. Add flour, salt, and pepper to a plastic bag and shake to mix well; add half the meat to the bag and shake to coat well.

4. Shake off excess flour and add meat to pan; cook about 3 to 5 minutes until the meat releases easily from the pan and is well browned on that side; turn the meat over and continue cooking until well browned on all sides; reduce heat if pan begins to smoke; remove meat from pan and set aside in a large bowl.

5. Add another 1 tablespoon of oil to pan; repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining half of the meat; add the cooked meat to bowl.

6. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan, then add the onions, carrots, and celery; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until veggies are soft and onion starts to brown, about 5 to 10 minutes.

7. Add the mushrooms and the thyme to the pan, stir to combine, and cook about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release their liquid.

8. Add the minced garlic and the brown sugar to the pan, stir and cook about 1 minute or until you begin to smell the garlic.

9. Add 2 tablespoons of the flour remaining in the bag to the pan, and stir well to combine; cook about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.

10. Add Marsala or Sherry to pan and stir, scrapping the bottom of the pan to release any brown bits.

11. Add beef broth and vinegar to pan; add enough water to cover meat; bring to boil; if gravy is too thick, add additional water.

12. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer stew for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally; remove lid if stew is too thin.

13. About 45 minutes before the stew is done cooking; add potatoes, stir to combine, and continue cooking until potatoes are done.

14. Add peas and continue cooking until heated, about 3 to 5 minutes more.

15. Taste stew for seasoning and add salt and/or pepper if needed.

16. Add parsley to stew, stir to combine, and serve.

Attachments

• Beef Stew with Mushrooms & Marsala.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 429
  • Stew #1.jpg
    Stew #1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 823
  • Stew #2.jpg
    Stew #2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 920

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa. A bonus on a day when lots of excellent meal pix have been posted. WTG Doug.

Edit: I saved your pdf file and will print and place in the must make folder. Thanks.