Back in the saddle...

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I'm back to baking bread, but with my new Bosch Universal Plus mixer. Today was the egg bread formula turned into a dozen sandwich thins and a loaf of sandwich bread. The thins are already in the freezer, but here's the loaf before bagging and heading to the freezer.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, I've never had egg bread, but I LOVE the name and LOVE the looks of it!

Yummmmmmmm!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm back to baking bread, but with my new Bosch Universal Plus mixer. Today was the egg bread formula turned into a dozen sandwich thins and a loaf of sandwich bread. The thins are already in the freezer, but here's the loaf before bagging and heading to the freezer.

WOW!!

Dag, that bread looks so delicious and has a nice yellow glow to it from the eggs!!

Tells me that you're so happy with your new stand mixer. How were you able to slice the bread so perfectly? Anyway, nice job and keep up the good work!! :eating2:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
WOW!!

Dag, that bread looks so delicious and has a nice yellow glow to it from the eggs!!

Tells me that you're so happy with your new stand mixer. How were you able to slice the bread so perfectly? Anyway, nice job and keep up the good work!! :eating2:
I use my electric knife to slice the bread. Here's the bread formula:

Ingredients:

1C Milk (8 oz.)
1C Warm water (105F to 110F) (8 oz.)
3 T Honey (2.25 oz.)
2 t Teaspoons salt (.55 oz.)
3 T Tablespoons butter or margarine (1.5 oz.)
1 Whole large egg (1.85 oz.)
1 Egg yolk (.55 oz.) (Use remaining egg white for egg wash)
2 1/4t Instant Yeast (.25 oz.)
5-6 C Unbleached bread flour (2#)

Total dough weight = 3# 6 oz.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I think I'll try this recipe. Can regular yeast be used, or must I use instant yeast?

Also, I'm going to have to get some unbleached bread flour. I, also, have an electric knife, but never thought to use it to slice homemade bread. :eating2:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Perfect bread, Just Perfect :clap:

Lol - "Back in the saddle..." never heard that phrase related to baking...I thought you were over your perotidectomy and were going to tell us you were back in the saddle :yum:

Shermie

Site Supporter
The phrase that I've always heard was Back in Business. But I would imagine that JoeV is probably thinking of the Westerns. Hah! :eating2:

Shermie

Site Supporter
And BTW, JoeV, are you also able to make cake & bread batters with you new mixer?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Perfect bread, Just Perfect :clap:

Lol - "Back in the saddle..." never heard that phrase related to baking...I thought you were over your perotidectomy and were going to tell us you were back in the saddle :yum:
The scar is doing very well, thank you. The analogy came to mind because I felt like I was bucked out of the saddle when the Non-Pro 600 crapped out. the difference is that I shot the wimpy horse and bought a new one. :yum:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sure. It's a MIXER. Also has a pair of whips that can whip egg whites.

Yeah, I saw the double whip assembly that is shown with the machine. Just wondered if it does batters and other stuff.

I've been doing some research on the machine. And so far, I'm liking what I see. And believe it or not, I don't think my KA K-5SSWH can handle making bread dough now. It labors badly with only 2-1/2 cups of flour in a pizza dough recipe!! it is only 7 years old, and I think that it is time to pass it down to make some room when I move up the street where my kitchen will be smaller.

Doesn't look like it can be used for making bread any more, so I'm thinking about giving it to my brother who also likes to cook & bake. Bosch also makes a slightly smaller more compact mixer, but the work bowl only holds up to 4 gallons of whatever you're making in it. It is about $200 cheaper, but it pretty much does what your mixer does.

But I don't think that I'll miss the large capacity much, since I still have the Electrolux Assistant DXL-2000.

Shame!! Whirlpool is definitely dropping the ball on these mixers as well! My KA K-45SS seems alright. It has very well stood the test of time. Probably because it was made by Hobart back in the early to mid '80s.

The later KA machines LOOK like they can handle dough, but they really can't now. My brother does not make yeast bread that I know of, so I don't think that would be a problem. I WILL let him know that the machine seems to slow down when making bread dough.

Hate to part with it, but I just can't continue to risk making dough with it and have it crap out altogether.:eating2:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, I saw the double whip assembly that is shown with the machine. Just wondered if it does batters and other stuff.

I've been doing some research on the machine. And so far, I'm liking what I see. And believe it or not, I don't think my KA K-5SSWH can handle making bread dough now. It labors badly with only 2-1/2 cups of flour in a pizza dough recipe!! it is only 7 years old, and I think that it is time to pass it down to make some room when I move up the street where my kitchen will be smaller.

Doesn't look like it can be used for making bread any more, so I'm thinking about giving it to my brother who also likes to cook & bake. Bosch also makes a slightly smaller more compact mixer, but the work bowl only holds up to 4 gallons of whatever you're making in it. It is about $200 cheaper, but it pretty much does what your mixer does.

But I don't think that I'll miss the large capacity much, since I still have the Electrolux Assistant DXL-2000.

Shame!! Whirlpool is definitely dropping the ball on these mixers as well! My KA K-45SS seems alright. It has very well stood the test of time. Probably because it was made by Hobart back in the early to mid '80s.

The later KA machines LOOK like they can handle dough, but they really can't now. My brother does not make yeast bread that I know of, so I don't think that would be a problem. I WILL let him know that the machine seems to slow down when making bread dough.

Hate to part with it, but I just can't continue to risk making dough with it and have it crap out altogether.:eating2:

Correction;

I meant to say that the Bosch Compact Mixer's bowl holds up to 4 QUARTS, NOT 4 gallons.

Here's the link on it below; :eating2:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/bosch_compact_mixers.aspx#attaching

Shermie

Site Supporter
Came across this vid on the Bosch Universal Plus Mixer - how to make bread dough.

Very interesting!! :eating2:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d__h1KhZw[/ame]

Shermie

Site Supporter
This is the one that I'm considering getting. It's a powerful little machine! :eating2:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzOJgoP1O00[/ame]

Ian M.

Boy, Shermie, that's one dandy looking little machine. DW is really getting me worked up about doing some bread making and this is something that appears well worth looking into. Can you possibly give me some idea as to what these things run new on the market? And since we're going to be making a move to Ireland in the near future, I wonder how it would adapt to foreign electrical current to plug into - would it come with an adaptor, I wonder? There is such a thing as a universal adaptor for the current change between the US and elsewhere, but not everything works with them, I've discovered.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and information.

Ian :whistle:

Ian M.

Thanks so much, Shermie, for the link and the information. I'm finding that the more I read about the compact machine, the more intrigued I become and the more I'd like to have one. When I begin dabbling in DW's area of expertise, the more I'm going to need all the help I can get and the best of equipment! As far as the adaptor goes, my father told me that my question was one of the dumbest he'd ever heard. Says it's not the item needing adapting that causes the problem. More likely I had a bad connection or perhaps the razor I was trying to shave with that morning had a problem but, to quote Dad, an adaptor is an adaptor is an adaptor - one size fits all, I guess. So what do I know about how to adapt things to different electrical current? Not a heck of a lot! Guess I've got a lot to bone up on and a short time to learn about it all. I'm going to contact the dealer in Nebraska and ask a whole LOT of questions.

Again, thanks for the information and your help.

Ian :confused:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
You welcome, buddy!

It would appear to me that there's an 800 number on the website to call to find out about an adapter for the machine.

Wouldn't hurt to call them and try to find out about it.

Guts

Joe maybe you could give me some pointers on how you slice your bread, it always look so perfect like store-bought.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
All I can say is practice makes perfect. I use an electric knife with a set of bread blades. Start on top and cut straight down with even pressure, letting the blade do the cutting. Be sure to cut all the way through the bottom of the loaf, then start on the next cut about 1/2" +/- depending on how thick or thin you like your bread. Bag it up and enjoy your work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=astkGciZ-hg

Guts

Thank you for your reply Joe

I have tried using electric knife before but in your words practice makes perfect, I will try to hone my skills in the baking season coming up. It's been too hot here to use the oven.

I must say I admire your baking skills, and my favorite recipe that I've gotten from you has to be the sticky buns, absolutely perfect "a true keeper". Thank you for that recipe, and my friends thank you too LOL

Kim a.k.a. guts