What bread(s) will you serve on Thanksgiving?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
While planning our Thanksgiving dinner for 18 family members, I asked DW what bread I should make. She came up with my Dinner Rolls recipe and Honey Whole Wheat for the day after sandwiches. How about the bread for your Thanksgiving dinner? (FWIW, my SIL does not serve bread on Thanksgiving, because she says there is enough food already.)

P1020275.jpg

ButtertopWholeWheat-2.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
What is your SIL thinking??? Who could pass up those glorious dinner rolls? I can only imagine how they would taste after using one to push some gravy and stuffing around on your plate...just beautiful, Joe.

K

Kimchee

I'm kinda like your SIL... bread is just filler. Good for getting food to mouth as a sandwich, but otherwise,,,,, eh.
Never ate bread with meals as a kid, except for the occasional basic white bread slices
for some meals. Didn't even know you COULD have things like dinner rolls at home, LOL!

But I have to pick, a really good, soft, warm dinner roll is my favorite... and yours look great!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We rarely have bread with meals unless it is part of the meal (IE burgers, dogs and sammies), breakfast toast or biscuits (but NOT all the time) or garlic bread with an Italian meal (again rarely). We aren't big bread eaters. So this year I doubt there will be bread except for the stuffing.

Your bread looks FANTASTIC Joe as usual!!

I would rather fill up on meats and such than bread. I rarely put cold cuts in between bread.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
DH is a BIG fan of bread with his meals. It's a MUST have. I'll be making outback brown bread and dinner rolls. I've got a new dinner roll recipe that I want to try so I'll take it on a test run this week.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, those rolls are beautiful. :smile:
Can't imagine not having a good bread to accompany a holiday meal.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
SassMuffin said:
Can't imagine not having a good bread to accompany a holiday meal.

Me neither. We don't eat bread on the side with every meal, but if we have company, I always serve bread. And if it is a holiday meal, for sure. This Thanksgiving, our "bread" will be tortillas, however.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We've come to love the King's Hawaiian rolls for the holidays over the last few years.
The sweetness of them dipped in turkey gravy is scrumptious.

goatherder

I've been making a fortified whole wheat bread for dh so he will be getting that. I stay away from it, the recipe calls for 5 T. butter, for one loaf. I'll be making my favorite ww herbed dinner rolls, seasoned with oregano, onion flakes and parsley, for me.

buckytom

Grill Master
i know you hear this a lot, but i'm not used to saying it to another man. so here goes: nice buns, joe.

:D

i am making a honey/banana/whole wheat bread in the bread machine, and we always pick up a giant loaf of polish rye from our local bakery to bring to my relatives for any occasion.

it might suck in many ways to live in an immigrant neighborhood, but bread is not one of them. we have the best polish, italian, and middle eastern bakeries outside of brooklyn.

the honey/banana/whole wheat bread is more of a dessert or snack bread. it's sweet to begin with, but it's even better toasted, buttered, and drizzled with more honey like a scone.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, those rolls and loaf are making my mouth water! BEAUTIFUL!!

We were never a bread-with-meals family, unless it was garlic bread with spaghetti and meatballs, or some rolls with a beef stew. Oh, we have popovers with prime rib.

The only bread on our Thanksgiving table will be what's in the stuffing.

Man, your stuff looks great!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, those rolls look GREAT Joe. :clap: :clap: :clap: :tiphat:

We were a bread with dinner family. Not all would always eat it, but bread and butter or margerine was always on the dinner table. I could not imagine Thanksgiving dinner without rolls of some type.

As always, we'll have dinner rolls with our turkey this year. We cheat though, in that we get frozen bread dough and all we have to do is thaw a loaf or two, knead it into rolls and let em rise a bit ...then put em in the oven. Easy peezy.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Joe, those rolls and loaf are making my mouth water! BEAUTIFUL!!

We were never a bread-with-meals family, unless it was garlic bread with spaghetti and meatballs, or some rolls with a beef stew. Oh, we have popovers with prime rib.

The only bread on our Thanksgiving table will be what's in the stuffing.

Man, your stuff looks great!

Lee
Yup same here Lee.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Very interesting responses. We always had bread on the table while growing up, probably because we frequently had foods that had gravies and sauces that could be sopped up with a good chunk of Italian bread from the corner Italian Deli. I guess it's more a cultural thing. My peeps are of Eastern European extraction, and we always have hearty bread available at mealtime.