1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
1 tablespoon white vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions
Place the ground beef, onion and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring to crumble the beef, until the beef is no longer pink and the onion is tender. Drain off the fat and return the pan to the stove. Combine the chili powder, cumin and basil; sprinkle over the beef. Cook and stir to coat the meat and toast the spices a little.
Pour in the tomatoes, green chilies, tomato sauce, beer and vinegar. Bring to a boil and stir to loosen any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Mix in the brown sugar, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 3 hours. Remove the lid for the last 30 minutes of cooking.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lucky, this looks like a great recipe to play around with, as most of us chili cooks are wont to do!

I don't like stuff that's too spicy-hot, so I would mostly use a store-bought blend of mild chili seasonings, with just a little of something else, like ancho or chimayo chili powder.

I DO like the canned green chilis, but if I wanted to expend the effort, I'd go with roasting some poblanos.

And, my chili MUST HAVE BEANS!!!

I will make some this fall - thanks for the reminder, Lucky!

Lee

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good to me Lucky. What hot rating would you give it if cooked exactly as the recipe above?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I'm collecting chili recipes right now - our local nonprofit community organization, Amigos de Bucerias, is entering a chili cook-off in Late November. Since we need five gallons to enter, we will agree on a recipe and five of us will each cook one gallon at home. So we are looking for good recipes, and I'll certainly copy this one for the group's consideration. Thanks, LT.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds good to me Lucky. What hot rating would you give it if cooked exactly as the recipe above?

This recipe is pretty tame, Doc.... that being said, as you may have noted already, "Zippy" is one of my favorite words, so I may not be the best judge of that............
On a scale of one to five, I'd give it a three............. but the dish has loads of character, and you can always increase the hot sauce, a half-teaspoon at a time, to increase the burn, and double the canned chili content......
you could also substitute Hab Sauce for the Tabasco for a bigger bite.........
If you've got Uncle Lucky's still hanging out in your fridge, that makes for a nice warm feeling when subbed for the Tabasco.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks LT. I do still have about 1/2 of the Uncle Luckys hot sauce in the fridge. Good idea! I do have to keep it on the tame side for the wife and spice up my bowl to keep peace in the family.