Does anyone know of an alternative to regular flour?

Ian M.

:confused:A friend of mine, who is critically intolerant of any foods that include the use of flour - any kind of flour, as well as wheat products. She's in search of something she can use in recipes that call for flour - she emailed us this morning, asking if either one of us knew of anything she could use or buy that would fill the bill for her. It was a question to which either one of us should have known the answer but unfortunately, we're both pulling a total blank on this. Can anyone help us out with the answer to her problem? Thanks in advance.

Ian

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Is that really any kind of flour (ie gluten allergy)? My first thought was potato or rice flour. Also I think gram flour is totally different as well. I don't know if it is gram flour, but there is a "flour" you can make from chick peas as well.
It also depends what she wants the flour for - as a thickener or something baked where it is a key ingredient.
Don't know if any of this helps.

Leni

If she needs something to rise she's out of luck. There is no substitue for gluten when it comes to cakes and bread.

Ian M.

Thanks, Miniman, Mama and luvs. All things suggested are helpful and we've passed the information on to our friend. I'm not altogether sure exactly what she is planning to cook/bake but since she's not a stellar cook (she once called Fallon (in a total panic, no less) to inquire if one must add water to instant rice to cook it - if that gives you an idea of how skilled Sandra is! Anyway, if I'd been clear-headed, I'd have remembered things like potato and rice flour but I was so embarrassed that I even had to ask for suggestions for this simple problem after having attended cooking school, for crying out loud - that my little brain just froze! Fallon called Sandra this afternoon and suggested to her that if she was going to cook/bake anything that required any significant amount of wheat product that she hike down to the local bakery and purchase it - much easier and safer than to risk allergies for either herself or her husband trying to figure alternative on her own. Probably the best thing to do. Anyway, thank you all for your excellent suggestions and help. When Fallon said the words "gluten-free" to Sandra this afternoon you'd have thought Fallon was speaking in sanskrit!!

Ian

loboloco

Quinoa, ground acorns, rice flour, rye flour, lentils, soybean flour. Depending on why she can't use regular flour any or all of these might work.

Ian M.

:good:Thanks so much, guys, for your interesting suggestions for alternatives to wheat flour. I never dreamed there were so many ways you could go with this and so many different things one could use. I'll pass the information on to our "new bride" friend and she says thank you, as well.

Ian

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Quinoa, ground acorns, rice flour, rye flour, lentils, soybean flour. Depending on why she can't use regular flour any or all of these might work.

+1 on Lobo suggestions and would add 2 more, amaranth and millet. Both of which are gluten free and good substitutes for wheat flour if you can find it.

Ian M.

Try going to King Authur Flour. It has all kinds of flours and other baking supplies including gluten free flours and mixes. It's a great resource for baking. www.kingarthurflour.com.

Thanks Leni and Joe C. I hadn't thought of King Arthur Flours before but I do know they have an awful lot of stuff on their website. I'll pass this good information along to our friend.

Ian