Sunday 8/28/11 What will be on your table?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Post Irene Dinner will probably be split pea soup.

Any plans?

Carolina Cooking

took a whole chicken from the freezer. More so just to make more room lol.
I may cut it up & make a Chicken Parm. Weird name since it has more mozz then parm.

Or if by them I am to lazy to cook I will make real Tacos. with the shell. not just salad. :thumb:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm just about as over summer as I could possibly be. Sad thing is, it's going to stay in the 90s at least three more weeks:ohmy:....but my cooking has already taken a turn for the season to come.

I'm making an eye round with brown gravy, mashed potatoes and sauteed green beans.

Lou is making mojitos...so summer lives on!

I just opened the front door to take out the trash, & the heat just smacked me in the face. It's supposed to be about 104 deg today. I have things to do around the house, but I'm going to take a nap, & decide later. A pasta dish with steamed broccoli, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic & parmesan cheese might be on the menu.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I'm making a hearty winter dish. It's in the 90's here, too, but if I wait for frost on the ground to start up the oven I'd live on salads for the rest of my life! The butternut squash looked nice in the grocery, so I'm stuffing it with sausage, apples, pecans, and lots of other good stuff.

Vera, it will take a couple summers to get used to it - then you'll wonder how you ever put up with the cold weather!

CalCook - 104 ! That's even hot for SoCal!!! I used to get that when I lived in Tucson, AZ. I hated it then, and was very glad to get back to the 'milder' heat of Florida.

mhend

I put a roast in the crockpot this morning with peppers, onions and CoM soup. We'll have that with some rice and maybe some steamed broccoli for dinner.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Trying a new way to cook the eye round....which is notoriously a dry piece of meat. It's 3.4#. Preheated the oven to 500. Put the roast in, lowered the temp to 475 for 21 minutes (7 minutes per pound). After that, turn the oven off and continue 'cooking' for 2.5 hours. Don't open the oven door.

I've got about 45 minutes to go... According to the recipe, it should temp at 140.

We'll see.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
The split pea soup is good.

I'm jealous, Peepsie. It's leftovers for me tonight. Darn it.....

Here is a picture

Split Pea Soup (sautéed chopped smoked ham steak and onions, chopped carrots, chopped potatoes, split peas, water, salt, ground peppercorns and liquid hickory smoke).

082811_split_pea_soup.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Trying a new way to cook the eye round....which is notoriously a dry piece of meat. It's 3.4#. Preheated the oven to 500. Put the roast in, lowered the temp to 475 for 21 minutes (7 minutes per pound). After that, turn the oven off and continue 'cooking' for 2.5 hours. Don't open the oven door.

I've got about 45 minutes to go... According to the recipe, it should temp at 140.

We'll see.
Vera my eye round is never dry. It always comes out juicy and tender. I estimate 15 per lb. The first 15 minutes is done on convection roast at 500F then lowered to 350F convection roast for the balance of the time. So I cook a 4 lb eye round a total of 1 hour then allow to rest for about 15 minutes.

This is a picture from last xmas

122510_xmas_eye_round_roast.jpg

I am sure your roast will come out wonderful.

Phiddlechik

Chicken filling: cooked chicken tenders in the microwave with spices: cumin, paprika (smoked and reg.) chili powder, etc. Shredded it when cooked. Added cilantro and a bit of green enchilada sauce (yes, from a can), and diced chilies.
Layered in a souffle dish, sauce, toasted corn tortillas, cheese, repeat. Sauce over top, more cheese.
Bake.
Red sauce: canned, diced tomatoes in juice, diced jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, a bit of green sauce. Puree.

Attachments

• DSCN8850.jpg
    DSCN8850.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DSCN8852.jpg
    DSCN8852.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN8856.jpg
    DSCN8856.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN8855.jpg
    DSCN8855.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN8858.jpg
    DSCN8858.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 108

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Chicken filling: cooked chicken tenders in the microwave with spices: cumin, paprika (smoked and reg.) chili powder, etc. Shredded it when cooked. Added cilantro and a bit of green enchilada sauce (yes, from a can), and diced chilies.
Layered in a souffle dish, sauce, toasted corn tortillas, cheese, repeat. Sauce over top, more cheese.
Bake.
Red sauce: canned, diced tomatoes in juice, diced jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, a bit of green sauce. Puree.
WOW that looks wonderful and comforting. Your pictures are beautiful and elegant.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Can't take a joke? I love you, Peepsie, and don't you ever forget it. :heart:
Sorry buzzy I'm not upset or insulted I just don't understand. Do you mean like the moon is made out of pea soup? LOL Just don't mention THAT movie with Linda. LOL J/K

I loves you to buzzy baby!! XOXOXOXOXOOX

Norm

Everyone's dinners looks great. I have not been doing much lately but today I got some chicken wings out of the freezer and experimented with a glaze. General consensus is that it is a keeper. Here is a picture of the wings. Recipe is at place listed below. Son made banana fritters for dessert. We had sliced tomato and steamed rice too.

DSCF3442.jpg

lilylove

Paul went camping this weekend and brought home fresh trout. :) He even cooked it for me! YUMMMMY! We had some corn on the cob with it.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Everyone's dinners looks great. I have not been doing much lately but today I got some chicken wings out of the freezer and experimented with a glaze. General consensus is that it is a keeper. Here is a picture of the wings. Recipe is at place listed below. Son made banana fritters for dessert. We had sliced tomato and steamed rice too.

DSCF3442.jpg
:applause: I wish I had some of those. Fantastic Norm.

Deelady

Peeps your soup made me very nostalgic! My granny growing up always made the best pea soup (complete with fritos on the side for scouping!) wish I had a big bowl right now!
Phiddlechik that looks amazing! Great meal!

Very nice looking wings Norm, love the color!

I made the girls lemon and tandoori seasoned chicken breasts with brown rice and corn. I wasn't in the mood for eating much but I did pick at some chicken since it came out really tender and juicy!

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Peeps your soup made me very nostalgic! My granny growing up always made the best pea soup (complete with fritos on the side for scouping!) wish I had a big bowl right now!
Phiddlechik that looks amazing! Great meal!

Very nice looking wings Norm, love the color!

I made the girls lemon and tandoori seasoned chicken breasts with brown rice and corn. I was in the mood for eating much but I did pick at some chicken since it came out really tender and juicy!
Thank you Dee.

High Cheese

Saucier
Those tacos and wings look great!

With cooler weather coming I'm getting more ambitious about cooking. I wanted to do something French yesterday so I decided to look in Vincent Prices Treasury of Great Recipes book for some inspiration. Had some leg/thigh quarters defrosted and I cam across a recipe Poularde Pavillon, chicken in champagne sauce. Found a copy of it here: http://www.mindspring.com/~loupaul/polarde.htm

Sicnce I didn't have a whole chicken and wasn't really liking the exact recipe I (as usual) modified it.

In a dutch oven I rendered out most of the fat from the leg quarters, dumped the excess fat, turned and continued to cook the chicken another 4-5 minutes while I prepped the other ingredients. I removed the chicken and set aside, in the same pot I added 2 large shallots minced, and about 5 cloved of minced garlic. I kept the bottom of the pan wet with olive oil while gently heating the garlic/shallots. I then added a small container of sliced button mushrooms to sautee a bit, along with about a tablespoon or so of herbs d'provence. Let that cook a bit trying not to brown the garlic/shallots. Add 2 bay leaves. Deglaze with about 1/2 bottle of champagne. I used Korbel Extra Dry, the other 1/2 bottle goes in your yap! When the champagne reduces by 1/2, add about 2 cups of chicken stock, return the chicken to the pan and cover to finish cooking. When the chicken is done I place it on a sheet pan, then start reducing the liquid in the pot. Turn the broiler on low. When you have about 1 cup of liquid in the pan, add 1/2-3/4 cup heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of butter (or more), stir over low heat. At this point you can put the chicken under the broiler to crisp the skin. Check the sauce for seasoning and remove the bay leaves. Put the sauce in the blender with the mushrooms and blend until smooth. Return it back to the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes. I added a few drops of truffle oil. The chicken should be done by now. Plate the chicken and top with the sauce and some chopped parsley.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Jeeks, that sounds good. I have several bottles of champagne in the house, and I never know what to do with them. Thanks for the idea.